Newbie here saying hi with some questions in mind!

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by CanKor, Dec 23, 2012.

1. C

CanKor New Member Member

Heyy What's up everyone! Happy early Christmas!
    My exam ended yesterday (Talk about fluid mechanics o_O... Yep! I'm a 2nd year chemical engineering student!!!) and I can focus on aquarium now! yay!!!
    I am a completely newbie and so excited about keeping tropical fish as my hobby!
    BTW, any other engineers out here? Just curious :)
    Thank you!!! :;santaclaus

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore :)

From what i have read so far you catfish should grow to be about 18+ inches and should be kept in water that is about 75-80*... I am sorry I am not sure what the conversions are for the temp and inches :/ also if you can get a much larger tank (55-65g?) Other wise I would just give him/her back to the lfs...

As for mean little predtor fish I would say something like puffer are the way to go :) from what i have read they are crazy lil guys, plus I am not sure what kinds of catfish are predetors and stay small...

Plant wise my 10g is home to a colony of mystery snails and Japanese snails (will be moving to the pond this spring) and my juvie betta boy (unnamed) anyways it is very low light and currently has ludwigia, Java ferns, rotala, pennywort, and some stray duckweed that I need to remove... it also is housing 10 red mangroves until i have the 29g ready to take them :) however my 29 has all those plants plus mini coral moss, Christmas moss, a red lily, mondo grass, microsword, aspognom (I spell that wrong every time), dwarf sag, and ancoris (spelled that wrong also) so just from that you could have a heavily planted tank (oh I forgot anubias eyes and onion plant as well)

Switch to the API master liquid test kit... much more reliable and you get 500+ tests instead of the 25 strips... though more expensive in the end it is worth it!

Also I am an English major (I know you can't tell from all that above but it is true xD) I hate math and science with a passion (well some sciences) you are like my friend whom is going to be a math teacher.. a glutton for pu ishment xD but good luck in your field of study regardless!

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning and SantaWelcome.gif to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken candycane2.gif

4. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hi Welcome To Fishlore:;hi2

5. h

hobo Valued Member Member

Hello:;hi1

6. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

Welcome to the forum!

7. OP
    OP
    C

CanKor New Member Member

Thank you everyone! I feel so welcomed! :)

8. Jennifer26

Jennifer26 Valued Member Member

Welcome

9. OP
    OP
    C

CanKor New Member Member

Thanks for the reply! Aha! I kinda like puffer as well but I feel like that my only option is dwarf puffer o__O... I think it's wonderful but does it have a lot of personalities as well? Other than dwarf puffers, are there any other puffers out there that may satisfy my needs as well as the dwarf puffer's needs?

10. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Hi!

Have fun on the forum!

11. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum!

Not an engineer by degree but I have to play one alot at work lol.

12. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

:sign0016: :;bananarow

have fun

13. Meeps83

Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FL! I'm NOT an engineer, btw :)

14. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FishLore! :;hi2

I'm a biomedical engineer, and my boyfriend is a mechanical engineer :) He took fluid mechanics and said it was difficult, but one of his favorite classes. It helped that his teacher was a funny Russian guy, who everyone thought was in the mafia or something because all of his examples involved people dying :p

15. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    My brother is an aerodynamicist... does that count?

16. Kai

Kai Valued Member Member

Welcome and Happy Holidays, Cankor!
    Not an engineer, I took Psychology in college... medicine after. I do not like math. ^_~

@monkeypie102 I agree, math sucks. LOL

17. Ava

Ava Valued Member Member

Hi! Welcome to FishLore!

18. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

Welcome to fishlore... YOU WILL ENJOY IT HERE O.O *waves hand* /end jedi mind trick

You've come to the right community :) If you ever need any help, these ppl are the ppl to ask! Hope you enjoy your stay! :D (you will regardless of course, because I've already Jedi'd your mind hehe)

19. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fish lore! I love my dwarf puffers! Most fun fish yet in my hobby time. I have 6 in a 29g. They all swarm the glass if they see movement, they come out for my cats even! I feed mine live black worms, and home farmed baby ramshorn snails (2times a week). All six have distinct personality and names, their spot patterns are individuallyunique. More effort then some of the other options. I have to feed stratigicly to make sure no one over eats or gets left out. Well worth it, makes food time a game

20. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Greetings and :sign0016:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice