Newbie Here: DIY LED 5050 48" 75Gal Lid

Denards

Reaction score
Hey all,

New here but happy to be .... So I'll start off by saying what I have and what I know (even its it may be wrong aha)

-CURRENT Set Up-

*20 Gal Aqua build (aquarium set)
*1 bushynose pleco
*5 white tipped tetras
*5 fancy guppies
*1 spiny tailed eel
*1 red tail shark (on sale I HAD to get him )
*Lightly planted

Now I know this tank is REALLY small for 3 of those fish hence the upgrade to a 75 gallon..

-UPGRADING TO-

*75 Gallon tank
*Glass sliding lid
*Heater
*120 HOB filter

What I want to do is create my own lighting by using...

*4ft piece of Rain gutter
*2 (two) 4ft parrallel 1" PVC pipe
*2 (two) 5M rolls 5050 RGB LED

***Purpose of this***

I currently have a teenesy 3.1 micro controller with a program I wrote that controlled the lighting to resemble realistic lighting to the exact time of day.

**My Question**

Will 5050 RGB LEDs be bright enough, in the right spectrum, and expose enough blues and reds for GREEN plants to thrive?

Or should I go with the very bright 5630 LEDs Cool white only..

**LEDs to Buy**

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00KBPZJBO/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_awdl_2Uf6wbFEYGPMW

Thanks for any advice..

ejohnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
When I did my ardunio controlled sunrise sunset led system, I used a small rgb section, then a bunch of while LEDs.

I then just used a function that raises the light level of the white gradually with the rgb ones.

This results in a full on white at daytime, then the rgb pretty much takes over for the sunrise sunset part and for the moon light.

It's nice with just the small rgb section, because then just a part of the tank is sunrise sunset and Moon. Instead of the whole tank colored by the rgb.

Denards

Reaction score
I used a small rgb section, then a bunch of while LEDs.

I then just used a function that raises the light level of the white gradually with the rgb ones.
Did you have any plants in your tank? If you did, how did you find the plants react to the LEDs... Did the struggle?

Thanks

ejohnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
They didn't do very well, but it was a unmaintained tank with no critters in it. I am redoing the tank now though

Denards

Reaction score
Hmm ok..

So what i've gone and done is purchase 15M total of 5630 LED.. 10M Warm White, 5M Cool White and that should cover the spectrum.

I now have to find power adapters for these as the ones i bought did not come with one :/

I3uckethead

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Laptop power adapter works fine. That's what I used to run 15m of LED strips. Personally I would have skipped the warm whites and just gone 2 strips cool white 6500k and 1 strip RGB.

DarkDroid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just built a light like this for my 29 gallon. I used 15ft of the 5050 RBG LED's with a controller that came in the kit. After using it now it doesn't seem like it will be good enough for plants, even low light varieties. Right now I have Java Fern, Anacharis, Anubias, and Water Wisteria in the tank. I've been using it for about a week so after a month I'm hoping to see some progress with growth. If not I'll have to do something different with different LEDs. So I'm curious to find out how the LEDs you got work for your plants. I didn't find very much information about the spectrum and lumen output of the LEDs I got off of Amazon so I wasn't sure what I was getting.

I3uckethead

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Have you watched the king of DIYs video on this? Be sure to use reflector material and you can probably do low light plants. I switched my big bulky DIY hood out for a Beamswork led bar. Brightness is comparable, looks nicer.

DarkDroid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah. I subscribe to Joey's YouTube channel he is awesome and definitely King of DIY. I built with everything he suggested and I love the light but it isn't near as bright as the Fluval AquaSky I have on my 55.
Have you watched the king of DIYs video on this? Be sure to use reflector material and you can probably do low light plants. I switched my big bulky DIY hood out for a Beamswork led bar. Brightness is comparable, looks nicer.

ejohnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
So just a FIY for when I built mine, I used ikea dioder strips for the white. They are super low on the power scale and not designed to grow anything.
I did order three higher powered 3w leds and a 3w rgb led.

Denards

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback!

I will definitely keep this up to date. I am using a build that consists of the following materials.

Materials Used:

*4ft piece of Round Rain gutter
*3 (three) 4ft parrallel 1" PVC pipe
*2 (two) 5M rolls 5630 Warm White LED (300 LEDs per 5M)
*1 (one) 5M roll 5630 Cool White LED (300 LEDs per 5M)
*Waterproof Gorilla Reflective Tape (Inside of gutter) As I3uckethead has noted.

I am to believe that the 5630 should be about a third as bright as the 5050 due to the chip size.

I am in the process of building it, hope to have it done by Easter Weekend. Im just waiting on the LEDs and the power adapters to arrive.

Attachments

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom