Newbie help

1. fishfanatic15 Member Member

So my last thread explains my story if you want to hear it... anyway my question is
    Can you add too much water conditioner
    I want to use prime to protect my fish until my tank cycles but do I need to do a water change and put it in the new water, or can I just add it in the tank.

2. FishLover2393 Initiate Member

When it comes to cleaners and other chemicals. I always add them right after the water change. So far my fish has been really healthy and active also the water is crystal clear. As for the prime. Its mostly used to make the water safe for the fish so after a Water change is a must.

3. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

The formula/guideline often quoted here is...
    If ammonia #+nitrite#<1.0 dose with Prime for the volume of the tank and retest in 24 hours. If ammonia + nitrites > or = 1.0 do a large water change, dose with prime for the volume of the tank and retest in 24 hours.

Are you using any bacterial supplements to speed up your cycle?
    Welcome to the forum! I hope you find this a good place to get answers.

4. fishfanatic15 Member Member

I am using cycle in my tank as of yesterday. I am going to do water changes everyday until my ammonia + nitrite settles out

5. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Can we merge the two threads for better help? Coradee?

6. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrites up to 1ppm.
    My advice:
    If ammonia and nitrites are both under .5ppm dose prime for the volume of the tank. If they're higher than .5ppm do a large 50% water change, dose prime for the tank volume and retest in an hour. Repeat once if necessary. Do this daily until cycled.

Are you adding any bacteria? I would add seachem stability daily until cycled if you have it.

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Mom2some.
    Two different questions. The other thread is about their cycle.
    This thread is asking about amounts of water conditioners.