10 Gallon Tank Newbie!! Has Variety Of Fish!! Help!

BLESSED1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Everyone!!....Well MY Mollie has given birth!! A couple of fry is saved!! No More breeding for me!! Sorry. However I understand as long as I keep male with female she will continue, but the fry will just have to be good eaten for all other fish ). I have gotten new fish: Blue Guarami, balloon mollies, and Striped Rafael Catfish. I've also learned you CANNOT trust the knowledge of a salesman @ pet stores!!!! Anyway, So far so good however, I got 2 males of the Blue Guarami's and, just realized that they are aggressive to one another(....I am going to get bigger tank and see what happens!! Any suggestions to my mix of fish and what to do, in order to maintain healthy happy fish help....sorry just got into hobby and not really educated...x??????

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome to fishlore, blessed1. Is there any way you can take the fish back and take the time to research first? I think you have way too many fish for a 10 gallon tank, and fish that are inappropriate for a tank that size, and then you also have some incompatibility issues.

I would encourage you to do extensive research on each type of fish you intend to purchase, starting with reading the profiles/care sheets. There are many here on FL and on other fishkeeping websites.

Also, please read the link in my signature about the nitrogen cycle. It is crucial to keeping your fish healthy that the tank be cycled, and that you understand what is happening with the water.

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, if all you have is a 10 gallon tank, I would suggest rehoming all of the fish you just bought, and maybe even all of the fish you have. How many mollies do you have now? Mollies can get quite big for your ten gallon, up to four inches. If you only have two, it might be okay. If you are getting a bigger tank, I would still rehome at least one of the blue gouramis, because even in a large tank, they will be aggressive to one another. If you are willing to rehome all of your fish, I would first cycle your tank before you get any more.

Cycling is getting the nitrogen cycle in your aquarium up and running before you add fish. This involves adding a source of ammonia (i.e. a piece of raw shrimp, pure ammonia, fish food, etc.), letting it release it's ammonia, and allowing for a population of beneficial bacteria to change the toxic ammonia into toxic nitrite and finally into less toxic nitrate. You need to do water changes to get rid of the nitrate. Cycling can take a while, but is the best way to avoid lots of fish deaths at the beginning of your aquarium. To monitor your levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrite, I would get a test kit, preferably the API Master Test Kit.

I hope you have a good time with your fish! I'm really new at this too, but it's fun to learn more and more each day. Don't get discouraged! How long has your molly tank been set up?

BLESSED1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
THANX. Well I obviously knew that I very uneducated about maintaining a fish aquarium...My mother in law gave me the tank because she got a bigger one, but it's more like a decoration for her, so really no info on that end. Although I have discovered a interest and passion for fish and keeping a aquarium...thank u, but no I cannot take them back, but I am purchasing another tank (bigger). I would like to know if you have any suggestions to which fish should I keep together in one tank and the other?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am glad that this is not discouraging you from keeping on trying. You'll need some Prime water conditioner (or Amelquel+) to keep your fish safer while your tank cycles. Daily water changes with Prime will keep the toxins from building up as much and killing the fish. At this point, I would say focus on getting the bigger tank and doing the daily changes. We need numbers of fish before we can help with stocking, but really, at this point, that isn't what I would focus on,

BLESSED1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Replying to Emberdee: Thanks. That's what I will do when I get another tank. So I will put one of the Blue Guarami in the new tank and separate them. However, I actually have 4 mollies,, (name @ pet store):2-balloon mollies, 2-Black mollies.

BLESSED1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanx. I am currently reading about getting the water right when I get the new tank and maintaining the one that I currently have. I am definitely separating the Blue Guarami's. Doing my research..........(this is when OCD kicks in.. ) So I am sure I will be able to keep up a beautiful tank with happy fish!!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
https://www.fishlore.com/profile-bluegourami.htm

As you can see from these profiles, none of your fish are okay for a 10 gallon tank. I would strongly encourage you to talk to fish stores in your area and find one who can rehome them for you. Unless you are getting 2 bigger tanks, the gouramis will be a problem no matter what. If no fish store in your area will take the fish, maybe you can find someone on craigslist?

It's hard when we first start in this hobby, but it's a lot of fun once the tanks get up and running right.

BLESSED1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was planning on keeping 10gal....and get only 1/55-60 gal tank.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blessed1, I had two Blue Gouramis in my 29 gallon tank and had major aggression and territorial issues. Definitely try to rehome those two.

Edit: too quick for my reply. If you're getting a bigger tank, keep one of your gourami because they are very pretty fish.

Good luck and welcome to Fishlore!

Last edited:

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You said that you wouldn't be doing any more breeding...does that mean that all the mollies you have now are just one sex? Keep in mind that balloon mollies and regular mollies can breed, so take into account both kinds when you're sexing them. Balloon mollies just look different because their swim bladder has been selectively bred to make them look like that. You could put all your males in one tank and your females in the other, but if you don't want breeding, it may already be too late if they're already mixed.

Your raphael catfish grows to 5" and needs a fairly large tank, about 30 gallons (long, not tall). Your blue gouramis grow to 6" and need 20 gallons at a minimum. So basically your next tank should be 30 gallons at least, and even if you separate your blue gouramis, one will be stuck in an inadequate tank (your 10g) unless you get a third tank. If you can return one at all, you should try to do so unless you think you'll upgrade the 10g as well. If you keep the two together in a large tank, the aggression may not stop.

Edit: yeesh, look at all the posts that happened while I was typing up two measly paragraphs. 55+ gallons sounds excellent, you'll not be stressing the bioload at all and your fish will be happy with all that swimming room. Are you planning on putting both blue gouramis in there then and just hoping they have enough room to avoid each other?

BLESSED1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great. Thank you very much..that helped alot. Learning.....stay tuned!!

BLESSED1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@Midthought; Well like I said I understand that they will breed as long as I keep female and male together (both types of mollies). However, just not interested in trying to save them...is that horrible?-(seriously). That is why I said it will just be good eating for the big fish..because they will eat them anyway, even the mother or male mollie. Also I plan on keeping them in one tank together, til I can get two aquariums and a spare for quarantine/hospital. Thank you......really helpful....now I see what all I have to get!!!!Wow!

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ohh I see, sorry about that. Mm, I don't know if it's *horrible*, a lot of people do it and it's what would happen naturally in the wild. That's why they're so prolific after all (and you'll probably wind up with more mollies anyway because some will escape being eaten, statistically). Me personally, I'm not too bothered by it, but part of the reason why I've so far avoided livebearers is because I don't want to have to deal with the many offspring (one way or another). ;D

Good luck with everything, you sound like you've jumped into this hobby feet first like many of us. And keep us updated!

BLESSED1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lol...yeah I did jump feet first, thinking it was really nothing to it, but when real interest and really fall in love with the beauty of the aquariums realizing it requires education and research to maintain a beautiful hobby.

BLESSED1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will keep you definitely keep everyone updated!!....lovin it!

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well good for you for sticking it out and doing the research. Although I have to admit, I don't know where I'd be without people getting in and out of this hobby quickly and then selling their almost-new equipment for dirt cheap...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom