Newbie - Glofish

Jimmy20805

Hello everyone,

I'm a complete beginner and feel setup by a Petco rep, but after reading online, that seems normal. My daughter (5 year old) wanted a fish for her birthday, when we went in, she really wanted the Glofish. We were only planning on getting a betta fish, needless to say we ended up getting a tank for Glofish. After discussing with the rep he recommended a 10 gallon tank and to fill it for 5 days and come back. So, as instructed, we filled it and waited 7 days and went back to get 3 Glo Tetras. Took them home and let them sit in the bag in the tank and added a cup of water every 10 minutes. Needless to say, they lived for 6 hours...

Started doing research online and grasped a little of a lot of info and seemed almost more confused than I was before. After looking into things, I picked up a 20 gallon long tank, new HOB filter (30-45 gallon), a heater and a fresh water master kit.

I setup the new tank and I reused the deco and water from the 10 gallon tank and added another 10 gallons of water. The old tank ran for about 20 days. Against better judgement, I went in to talk to the rep again for advise and took a sample of water in. He said everything looked right and said he would recommend Microbe-Lift special blend and nite-out 2 and trying again. He said I should add those in and add 3 Glo Tetras in right away.

So... I did. So far so good, all 3 fish are still alive and seem ok, I'm about a week in. I wish I would have known a little more and not went with Microbe-Lift and fish, but it was hard to find much on these products and the rep said it's what they use.

For the first 20ish days I had .25ppm-.50ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. Started the Microbe-Lift SB and Nite-Out mix and in 3 days I was showing .25ppm Nitrites and 5 days in I'm showing 5.0ppm Nitrates. Still not sure what I'm doing. Once I started getting Nitrites in my reading I started doing daily 25-35% water change.

Current situation:
Fish: 3 Glo Tetras
Tank: 20 gallon long
Filter: Tetra Whisper EX45
Heater: hygger 200W Aquarium Heater with LED Display Controller
Water conditions: see attached picture

PXL_20210120_232748300.MP.jpg

Any recommendations? Don't really want to ask for help at Petco anymore. Do I keep doing daily water changes? Seems like my cycle started, so I've continued with the daily Nite-Out. Fish seem to be doing ok. Once finished cycled, how long to add more Tetras? Also, should I stick to just Tetras? After reading more, feel like I'd like a group of Glo Dianos as they are more active. Would 6 of each be too much? Found a site, can't think of it now, but said I'd only be 60% stocked. Seemed to get mixed reviews on other forums and not sure what to believe. Any tips are appreciated, unless it's from Petco

AggressiveAquatics

Welcome to fishlore. It sounds you are doing a fish in cycle now. Did you add ammonia during the time it was running. If not then the time it was set and running was unfortunately useless if you didn’t
I’d suggest reading about the nitrogen cycle

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

Welcome to fishlore. It sounds you are doing a fish in cycle now. Did you add ammonia during the time it was running. If not then the time it was set and running was unfortunately useless if you didn’t
I’d suggest reading about the nitrogen cycle
Sorry, forgot that part, they recommended API Stress Coat. Been doing double doses every water change.

Upvote 0

BadhbhCatha

I’m relatively new to this fish thing myself and starting our tank a little over a year ago was a nightmare for us as well thanks to the Petco Reps we talked to. When we set up our 29 gallon, we only added the bio starter once. We also did not do daily water changes. We generally do 15% every week or two. Tetras need a school of about 6 which is probably about 50% stocked in a 20 gal tank. Your pH looks pretty high for skirt tetras though. I would definitely recommend bringing that down. There are lots of methods for doing it but we use API pH down in our tank (our tap is a bit high as well). Lower your pH slowly though. Large shifts in your pH can kill your fish too. We also use API stress coat for water conditioning (removing chlorine and heavy metal neutralizer).

Two game changers for us were adding live plants and getting our Fluval 50 filter.

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

I’m relatively new to this fish thing myself and starting our tank a little over a year ago was a nightmare for us as well thanks to the Petco Reps we talked to. When we set up our 29 gallon, we only added the bio starter once. We also did not do daily water changes. We generally do 15% every week or two. Tetras need a school of about 6 which is probably about 50% stocked in a 20 gal tank. Your pH looks pretty high for skirt tetras though. I would definitely recommend bringing that down. There are lots of methods for doing it but we use API pH down in our tank (our tap is a bit high as well). Lower your pH slowly though. Large shifts in your pH can kill your fish too. We also use API stress coat for water conditioning (removing chlorine and heavy metal neutralizer).

Two game changers for us were adding live plants and getting our Fluval 50 filter.

I added 2 random plants from Petco when we started. They are small with like 4-6 leaves. Debated taking them out since we only have the blue lights in it? Not sure if they'd grow without too much sun or changing out the lights.

Upvote 0

Luckyscale2003

Hello everyone,

I'm a complete beginner and feel setup by a Petco rep, but after reading online, that seems normal. My daughter (5 year old) wanted a fish for her birthday, when we went in, she really wanted the Glofish. We were only planning on getting a betta fish, needless to say we ended up getting a tank for Glofish. After discussing with the rep he recommended a 10 gallon tank and to fill it for 5 days and come back. So, as instructed, we filled it and waited 7 days and went back to get 3 Glo Tetras. Took them home and let them sit in the bag in the tank and added a cup of water every 10 minutes. Needless to say, they lived for 6 hours...

Started doing research online and grasped a little of a lot of info and seemed almost more confused than I was before. After looking into things, I picked up a 20 gallon long tank, new HOB filter (30-45 gallon), a heater and a fresh water master kit.

I setup the new tank and I reused the deco and water from the 10 gallon tank and added another 10 gallons of water. The old tank ran for about 20 days. Against better judgement, I went in to talk to the rep again for advise and took a sample of water in. He said everything looked right and said he would recommend Microbe-Lift special blend and nite-out 2 and trying again. He said I should add those in and add 3 Glo Tetras in right away.

So... I did. So far so good, all 3 fish are still alive and seem ok, I'm about a week in. I wish I would have known a little more and not went with Microbe-Lift and fish, but it was hard to find much on these products and the rep said it's what they use.

For the first 20ish days I had .25ppm-.50ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. Started the Microbe-Lift SB and Nite-Out mix and in 3 days I was showing .25ppm Nitrites and 5 days in I'm showing 5.0ppm Nitrates. Still not sure what I'm doing. Once I started getting Nitrites in my reading I started doing daily 25-35% water change.

Current situation:
Fish: 3 Glo Tetras
Tank: 20 gallon long
Filter: Tetra Whisper EX45
Heater: hygger 200W Aquarium Heater with LED Display Controller
Water conditions: see attached picture

PXL_20210120_232748300.MP.jpg

Any recommendations? Don't really want to ask for help at Petco anymore. Do I keep doing daily water changes? Seems like my cycle started, so I've continued with the daily Nite-Out. Fish seem to be doing ok. Once finished cycled, how long to add more Tetras? Also, should I stick to just Tetras? After reading more, feel like I'd like a group of Glo Dianos as they are more active. Would 6 of each be too much? Found a site, can't think of it now, but said I'd only be 60% stocked. Seemed to get mixed reviews on other forums and not sure what to believe. Any tips are appreciated, unless it's from Petco
i feel that globetta/glofish are finicky i bought mine and she has columnaris real bad rn just beware i think their immune systems are weak

Upvote 0

BadhbhCatha

I added 2 random plants from Petco when we started. They are small with like 4-6 leaves. Debated taking them out since we only have the blue lights in it? Not sure if they'd grow without too much sun or changing out the lights.

Unless they are low light plants they will not do well without red spectrum lighting. We have the glofish tetras as well, but we got a full spectrum LED light bar. They get about 10-12 hours of “normal” light (with the reds and whites on) during the day and then at night we turn the whites and reds off and turn on the “mood lighting” (purples, blues, greens or sometimes reds alone).

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

i feel that globetta/glofish are finicky i bought mine and she has columnaris real bad rn just beware i think their immune systems are weak
Hopefully don't have any issue, still learning the basics. Wouldn't have been a fish I would have picked, but my daughter had her mind made up!
Unless they are low light plants they will not do well without red spectrum lighting. We have the glofish tetras as well, but we got a full spectrum LED light bar. They get about 10-12 hours of “normal” light (with the reds and whites on) during the day and then at night we turn the whites and reds off and turn on the “mood lighting” (purples, blues, greens or sometimes reds alone).
I'll have to watch them closely and if they start to go I'll pull them. The rep told me they would grow in a toilet... Haha.

Upvote 0

BadhbhCatha

Agree! We had a rough start with many casualties a year ago. We just got the school completed recently and now they all have Ick (also, thank you to Petco), so we are treating that now. Fingers crossed . I think I’m going to try ordering fish online next time. Petco fish are drama!

Upvote 0

Luckyscale2003

Agree! We had a rough start with many casualties a year ago. We just got the school completed recently and now they all have Ick (also, thank you to Petco), so we are treating that now. Fingers crossed . I think I’m going to try ordering fish online next time. Petco fish are drama!
just treat with aquarium salt that's your best bet its cheap easy to dose and doesn't hurt the fish

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

Would 6 Tetra and 6 Danios be too much for the 20 gal long tank? If so, is there anything I should add other than Tetras? Feel like if it didn't glow we'd never really see it, room is fairly dark.

Upvote 0

BadhbhCatha

Would 6 Tetra and 6 Danios be too much for the 20 gal long tank? If so, is there anything I should add other than Tetras? Feel like if it didn't glow we'd never really see it, room is fairly dark.

I’ve been playing around on a website called AqAdvisor for stocking options in our tank. It’ll give you ideas for tank mates and calculate a rough estimate for your level of stocking. I’d just recommend researching the species well before you add them. Also, consider the level of the tank the species will occupy.

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

I’ve been playing around on a website called AqAdvisor for stocking options in our tank. It’ll give you ideas for tank mates and calculate a rough estimate for your level of stocking. I’d just recommend researching the species well before you add them. Also, consider the level of the tank the species will occupy.
That's The site I found and was messing with. Seen a few people say this group wouldn't work and others say yes. Added in my tank info and the 6 Tetra and 6 Danios and I get 60%. So I'm not sure.

Screenshot_20210120-170708.png

Upvote 0

Rick bose

Don't add any more fish in the tank until the tank is completely cycled, i.e., ammonia and nitrite becomes zero. After that you can add but don't add all at once.
I don't think 6 danios and 6 zebras will be overstocked for the tank in my opinion but see what others have to say. I personally feel you can keep them but definitely not add more. But I will wait for others' opinions. You can add some live plants in the tank. Even if none of your fishes will be natural ones, they are tetra and danios at the end of the day and will appreciate live plants. If you are not into spending money and time on plants, then there are some low level plants you can keep without anything extra like cryptocoryne, dwarf water lily, tiger lotus, hornwort(floating), etc.

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

Don't add any more fish in the tank until the tank is completely cycled, i.e., ammonia and nitrite becomes zero. After that you can add but don't add all at once.
I don't think 6 danios and 6 zebras will be overstocked for the tank. You can keep them. You can add some live plants in the tank. Even if none of your fishes will be natural ones, they are tetra and danios at the end of the day and will appreciate live plants. If you are not into spending money and time on plants, then there are some low level plants you can keep without anything extra like cryptocoryne, dwarf water lily, tiger lotus, hornwort(floating), etc.
Thank you, yes, I'm waiting until I see the cycle finish and then some. Just trying to be slightly more prepared than I was when we purchased them. I have the 2 live plants in there now, they seem to be doing ok I think. No real difference than when I purchased them.

Upvote 0

BadhbhCatha

That's The site I found and was messing with. Seen a few people say this group wouldn't work and others say yes. Added in my tank info and the 6 Tetra and 6 Danios and I get 60%. So I'm not sure.

Screenshot_20210120-170708.png

I would have thought it would be a little higher, but I guess the Danios are small...

Upvote 0

Rick bose

Thank you, yes, I'm waiting until I see the cycle finish and then some. Just trying to be slightly more prepared than I was when we purchased them. I have the 2 live plants in there now, they seem to be doing ok I think. No real difference than when I purchased them.
Do the know the name of the live plants you have?

I would advise you to add several more. Just 2 live plants in a 20g tank is almost like having none at all. Tetras will always appreciate love plants. There are many plants that practically require no extra maintenance. They are my favourites. I don't know very much about live plants, only about those that I have. I can give you some more options if you want. If you need help about what plants to keep, ask in the forum. You will be be definitely helped by the members here.

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

I would have thought it would be a little higher, but I guess the Danios are small...
Same, it seemed like too many fish, but like I said I'm new. Seen a few posts saying you should stock your tank to 80%-90%. No idea. Just trying to do things right and getting a little variety.

Upvote 0

BadhbhCatha

Same, it seemed like too many fish, but like I said I'm new. Seen a few posts saying you should stock your tank to 80%-90%. No idea. Just trying to do things right and getting a little variety.
I’m with you. I’m still learning about stocking. We are planning to stay at or below 80%.

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

Do the know the name of the live plants you have?

I would advise you to add several more. Just 2 live plants in a 20g tank is almost like having none at all. Tetras will always appreciate love plants. There are many plants that practically require no extra maintenance. They are my favourites. I don't know very much about live plants, only about those that I have. I can give you some more options if you want. If you need help about what plants to keep, ask in the forum. You will be be definitely helped by the members here.
To be honest, I don't know. Looking at Google, it looks like a type of Anubias. However, they are extremely hard to see as they look black with the blue lights on.

Upvote 0

Debbie1986

GloFish are weaker genetically because of the alteration

Prime dose every 48 hours until tank is cycled. Prevent a nitrate spike & keeps tank stable.

I have had Glowfish tetras for 18 months. They average around a year in terms of lifespan for me. I currently have 5 total. max stocking at 1 time was 9 glowfish. Tank lookd great with all that color - pink, yellow, orange, magenta...

I try to buy same size fish because they school happier together. I have a larger one, so I bought biggest one they had and the 2 of the school nicely, the smaller tetra (same breed fish) gets ignored. they tolerate him like a little kid follows a sibling. The other 2 are with my white skirt tetra in a different tank because he's aggressive.

I did use the Glow Fish water conditioner (twice) for a while and had success. It is made for them as they are going to be more sensitive due to genetic alteration.

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

GloFish are weaker genetically because of the alteration

Prime dose every 48 hours until tank is cycled. Prevent a nitrate spike & keeps tank stable.

I have had Glowfish tetras for 18 months. They average around a year in terms of lifespan for me. I currently have 5 total. max stocking at 1 time was 9 glowfish. Tank lookd great with all that color - pink, yellow, orange, magenta...

I try to buy same size fish because they school happier together. I have a larger one, so I bought biggest one they had and the 2 of the school nicely, the smaller tetra (same breed fish) gets ignored. they tolerate him like a little kid follows a sibling. The other 2 are with my white skirt tetra in a different tank because he's aggressive.

I did use the Glow Fish water conditioner (twice) for a while and had success. It is made for them as they are going to be more sensitive due to genetic alteration.
Thank you for the tips! I'll look into the prime. Been running numbers 2x a day just to be safe. When I ran the test this morning I was at Ammonia .25ppm, Nitrites were at 0ppm and Nitrates 5.0ppm. hopefully still on the right track. Been doing water changes wherever I see Nitrites.

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

Should I be doing daily water changes until cycle is finished?
Stats today:
.25 ammonia
.25 nitrites
5.0 nitrates

Upvote 0

PNWAquatics

In my experience, I haven't found my glo-tetras to be much weaker than any freshwater fish I've kept. I've had my group for a little over 2 years now.

I would do a water change every time you got above .25 ammonia and/or .25 nitrites, especially if you don't have any kind of neutralizing water conditioner. I believe prime detoxifies up to 1ppm ammonia and nitrite and it may be more if you overdose it so it will be safer for the fish after you buy some.

I would not add any more fish until your cycle catches up to what you have now. Right now it may be manageable but too many fish could really make it difficult to keep up with waste production.

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

In my experience, I haven't found my glo-tetras to be much weaker than any freshwater fish I've kept. I've had my group for a little over 2 years now.

I would do a water change every time you got above .25 ammonia and/or .25 nitrites, especially if you don't have any kind of neutralizing water conditioner. I believe prime detoxifies up to 1ppm ammonia and nitrite and it may be more if you overdose it so it will be safer for the fish after you buy some.

I would not add any more fish until your cycle catches up to what you have now. Right now it may be manageable but too many fish could really make it difficult to keep up with waste production.
I have API Stress Coat, should I be doing a double dose every 48 hours?

Upvote 0

Fishfriendof315

Are you using a tap water conditioner besides the stress coat? I highly recommend the stress coat, but also stress zyme, and tap water conditioner. My main 3 every water change. My glo's had no problem when I first got them, but I also prohibit myself from buying my live stock from big chain stores. At most every 3rd day, or cut back on feeding. My main concern is the high nitrates.

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

Are you using a tap water conditioner besides the stress coat? I highly recommend the stress coat, but also stress zyme, and tap water conditioner. My main 3 every water change. My glo's had no problem when I first got them, but I also prohibit myself from buying my live stock from big chain stores. At most every 3rd day, or cut back on feeding. My main concern is the high nitrates.
No other water conditioners, just Microbe-Lift special blend and nite-out. Recommended by Petco, I know now, this is controversial. Should I be doing stress coat and prime every water change? I thought they were similar.

Upvote 0

Islandvic

Welcome to the forum, your fish will tank you later for it.

There probably isn't really a reason to be using both the Stress-Zyme and the Prime. Consider using up the Stress-Zyme then start using the Prime. Ive used Prime for a couple of years now and it is good stuff!

As for the Microb-Lift and Nite-Out products, nothing wrong with them. Just don't add more than what the label says to use for your tank size. I am only familiar with those products because I have seen them on the Ken's Fish site where I buy all my fish food and the majority of my fishkeeping supplies.

We have some glo-fish tetras that are probably 3 years old by now mixed in with our community tank. They have seen just as hardy as the other fish.

Temperature matched water changes are your best friend, even after cycling the tank. All my tanks are cycled and they receive 50-75% WC's every 7-10 days.

You have a normal white LED and a blue LED light, correct? Or do you just have the blue LED?

Hopefully you are turning off the blue LED at night. Fish need their "sleep" also. On my light's that don't have built-in timers, I use those cheap $5 mechanical timers that plug into the outlet to turn off/on the lights.

Also, you mentioned a filter for 30-40 gallons. Would you mind sharing what brand/model it is?

I ask because I can share some easy and cost effective examples of how to add your own media to it, so you can ensure to keep the cycle going, especially if its cartridge based.

Maybe consider adding an air pump and a sponge filter driven by an air stone. It would give you a second source of filtration. Sponge filters offer excellent biological filtration. They can also be removed and dropped into a 5 gallon bucket for an instantly cycled quarantine or hospital tank.

If you add more fish in the future, please consider quarantining them first for 10-14 days to make sure you don't introduce Ich into the main tank.

As for adding fish and the AqAdvisor website, please only use that as a generally guideline. It can not take into account every factor, especially when a filter has extra media added to it when the fish keeper performs routine large WC's every month. I would hate to see what that site would say about my overstocked 55 and 75g cichlid tanks.

After your tank gets cycled and everything is going well for a few weeks, then consider adding some more fish.

Consider adding some bottom dwellers, like 5 corydoras and/or 5-7 khuli loaches. The khuli's have a very small bio-load, so they wont impact the cycle much at all. They like having hiding spots, it makes them feel more protected. Mine have a lot of places to hide, but during the day they are out most of the time. Having places to hide makes them feel more secure and thus more willing to be out in the open. Even after a couple of years keeping them, they are still entertaining to watch in our tank.

If you get more Glo-Tetras, I have found the pink, green and yellow seem to "glo" more, while the purple ones not so much.

Also, please buy quality food for your fish. Brands like Hikari and Omega are good. They have less fillers and better ingredients. I have found that water changes and a quality diet keep fish happy and healthy!

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

Welcome to the forum, your fish will tank you later for it.

There probably isn't really a reason to be using both the Stress-Zyme and the Prime. Consider using up the Stress-Zyme then start using the Prime. Ive used Prime for a couple of years now and it is good stuff!

As for the Microb-Lift and Nite-Out products, nothing wrong with them. Just don't add more than what the label says to use for your tank size. I am only familiar with those products because I have seen them on the Ken's Fish site where I buy all my fish food and the majority of my fishkeeping supplies.

We have some glo-fish tetras that are probably 3 years old by now mixed in with our community tank. They have seen just as hardy as the other fish.

Temperature matched water changes are your best friend, even after cycling the tank. All my tanks are cycled and they receive 50-75% WC's every 7-10 days.

You have a normal white LED and a blue LED light, correct? Or do you just have the blue LED?

Hopefully you are turning off the blue LED at night. Fish need their "sleep" also. On my light's that don't have built-in timers, I use those cheap $5 mechanical timers that plug into the outlet to turn off/on the lights.

Also, you mentioned a filter for 30-40 gallons. Would you mind sharing what brand/model it is?

I ask because I can share some easy and cost effective examples of how to add your own media to it, so you can ensure to keep the cycle going, especially if its cartridge based.

Maybe consider adding an air pump and a sponge filter driven by an air stone. It would give you a second source of filtration. Sponge filters offer excellent biological filtration. They can also be removed and dropped into a 5 gallon bucket for an instantly cycled quarantine or hospital tank.

If you add more fish in the future, please consider quarantining them first for 10-14 days to make sure you don't introduce Ich into the main tank.

As for adding fish and the AqAdvisor website, please only use that as a generally guideline. It can not take into account every factor, especially when a filter has extra media added to it when the fish keeper performs routine large WC's every month. I would hate to see what that site would say about my overstocked 55 and 75g cichlid tanks.

After your tank gets cycled and everything is going well for a few weeks, then consider adding some more fish.

Consider adding some bottom dwellers, like 5 corydoras and/or 5-7 khuli loaches. The khuli's have a very small bio-load, so they wont impact the cycle much at all. They like having hiding spots, it makes them feel more protected. Mine have a lot of places to hide, but during the day they are out most of the time. Having places to hide makes them feel more secure and thus more willing to be out in the open. Even after a couple of years keeping them, they are still entertaining to watch in our tank.

If you get more Glo-Tetras, I have found the pink, green and yellow seem to "glo" more, while the purple ones not so much.

Also, please buy quality food for your fish. Brands like Hikari and Omega are good. They have less fillers and better ingredients. I have found that water changes and a quality diet keep fish happy and healthy!

Islandvic, really appreciate your detailed post. I picked up Prime last night and did a 40% water change and added both Prime and API Stress Coat. This morning (about 12 hours after the water change) my ammonia and nitrites both dropped to 0. Is this because of the Prime? Or is my cycle progressing? I try to be as careful as I can when doing water changes to match the temperatures.

PXL_20210123_132834237.jpg

I purchased the Tetra Whisper EX45 . One thing I noticed right away was that the flow in the tank seemed to be too high. As soon as the fish would stop swimming, they'd get pushed around or to the corners. I picked up a piece of media spoung and placed it where it flows out to slow it down. That seems to work. Hopefully this is an acceptable filter? I do not have another filter in the tank at this time.

I purchased a hygger air stone is one enough or should I add more?

Here's a picture of the tank, do you think this has enough hiding spots?

PXL_20210123_133302442.MP.jpg

Currently I do not have another setup to quarantine fish. Feel like my wife might kill me as the plan for my daughter was just a betta fish in a bowl.

I purchased the 20 gallon long tank from Petco and the folding glass lid. I found the blue glo lights that attach to the edges under this. Is there any light that would fit to the top of the glass top? I have them hooked to to a smart plug that turns on at 10am and off at 8pm.

Would you advise against adding a school of 6 Glo Danios to the tank with a total of 6 Glo Tetras? Without the white light, feel like I'd never see fish that didn't light up.

As far as food goes, I purchased the Glofish flakes. Seen a lot of good reviews for the Omega brand. Will probably go with that next. Would like to do some of the frozen foods as well, but waiting on tank to cycle and a little more research.

Once again, I really appreciate your help.

Upvote 0

Islandvic

Great looking set up! I have always wished we had a 20 long.

Best way I found to match the temp during WC's is to remove the thermometer from tank and hold it under the faucet. That way the new water is usually within +/- 1f of the tank's water.

As for quarantine/hospital tank, the easiest and cheapest way to do it is with a 5 gallon bucket and a sponge filter. Consider buying a small sponge filter to run in the main tank driven off your air pump. When you need to set up a quick hospital/quarantine tank, fill up a 5 gallon bucket with water and drop sponge filter in there. Now you have an instantly cycled hosp/quarantine tank!

Also, adding a small sponge filter will help keep the tank cycled, in the event you accidently clean the media from your Tetra filter a bit too well.

Your zero ammonia and nitrites could be from the water change, the tank is simply cycled now, or the readings are off due to the dechlorinator. Just monitor your parameters to see if it's cycled.

Regarding the Glo-Danio's, I can't really comment on those because I haven't kept danio fish before. I don't see why that would be a problem though.

When I had a 10g running for awhile, I used a 18.5" Mingdak brand LED light from Amazon. It's submersible and held to the glass with 2 suction cups. It can either be mounted to the underside of the glass lid, or high up in the front wall by the rim. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X84LQ5S/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

Now they have one with built in timer and has blue and white LED's. I have never used that one before, so check out all their reviews if you're interested in that one. Mingdak LED w/ timer link.

You can run both the blue and white LED's during the day, and I think the glo fish will be easily seen.

As for the Tetra filter, I have never used those but they appear to be just like most cartridge based filters. It should work very well in your 20 long. Here is a link that gives examples with lots of pics of how to add extra media to your filter, and not have to rely on the disposable cartridges, LINK.

After the tank is cycled, it will be much easier to maintain and a lot less stress.

I think you will have great success with your tank, especially now that you've joined the forum!

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

Great looking set up! I have always wished we had a 20 long.

Best way I found to match the temp during WC's is to remove the thermometer from tank and hold it under the faucet. That way the new water is usually within +/- 1f of the tank's water.

As for quarantine/hospital tank, the easiest and cheapest way to do it is with a 5 gallon bucket and a sponge filter. Consider buying a small sponge filter to run in the main tank driven off your air pump. When you need to set up a quick hospital/quarantine tank, fill up a 5 gallon bucket with water and drop sponge filter in there. Now you have an instantly cycled hosp/quarantine tank!

Also, adding a small sponge filter will help keep the tank cycled, in the event you accidently clean the media from your Tetra filter a bit too well.

Your zero ammonia and nitrites could be from the water change, the tank is simply cycled now, or the readings are off due to the dechlorinator. Just monitor your parameters to see if it's cycled.

Regarding the Glo-Danio's, I can't really comment on those because I haven't kept danio fish before. I don't see why that would be a problem though.

When I had a 10g running for awhile, I used a 18.5" Mingdak brand LED light from Amazon. It's submersible and held to the glass with 2 suction cups. It can either be mounted to the underside of the glass lid, or high up in the front wall by the rim. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X84LQ5S/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

Now they have one with built in timer and has blue and white LED's. I have never used that one before, so check out all their reviews if you're interested in that one. Mingdak LED w/ timer link.

You can run both the blue and white LED's during the day, and I think the glo fish will be easily seen.

As for the Tetra filter, I have never used those but they appear to be just like most cartridge based filters. It should work very well in your 20 long. Here is a link that gives examples with lots of pics of how to add extra media to your filter, and not have to rely on the disposable cartridges, LINK.

After the tank is cycled, it will be much easier to maintain and a lot less stress.

I think you will have great success with your tank, especially now that you've joined the forum!
Thank you again, looks like I have more research to do.

Question on stocking fish. I know you said you haven't had any experience with the Danios, but I feel this might be just a general question. I have 3 Tetras now, if I were to get 3 more, should I go with Tetras and complete their shoal? Or should I do 3 Tetras and 3 Danios. Not sure if 6 Tetras would gang up on 3 Danios. Both are shoaling fish. Obviously this wouldn't be done now just when the tank is ready for more fish. Should I do less than 3 fish when I add more, or is 3 ok?

Upvote 0

BadhbhCatha

I personally would complete the school of Tetras. We started with 4 and even with 4, I still saw stress behaviors over the following 3 weeks. My first group didn’t calm down and get comfortable until their school was complete.

Upvote 0

Mcasella

Danios and tetras are schooling not shoaling, meaning they need they larger group to feel safe/comfortable.
There are several led lights that can sit right on top of the glass lid without issue and many have multiple colors. I would not keep the blue light on the glofish longer than 3 hours a day as it can affect their vision as well as mess with human's eyes (don't look at the blue light for long periods of time, it causes vision issues).

The pink, red, orange, and green glos fluoresce best under blue light because of the grnes added, blue and purple mainly just absorb it - they all look very nice under a blue/white led in the cool spectrum and even more red doesn't hurt their looks.

I would try some cory cats to offset having fish just in the middle of the rank after you have completed your cycle and have more than just straight blue lighting.

For water changes cooler will be better than warmer, meaning don't add new water that is warmer than the tanks water - even a couple degrees lower is fine. I would not alter your ph if it is stable, ph swings will kill faster than even ammonia and nitrite.
You don't have to do live plants it is just another aspect of the hobby some people enjoy (you can do all fake, some fake and live or straight live it you want - I have all live in mine but I don't keep glofish right now, though they would just have live plants in the long run).

It can be a lot but it looks like you are giving them a good chance.

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

Danios and tetras are schooling not shoaling, meaning they need they larger group to feel safe/comfortable.
There are several led lights that can sit right on top of the glass lid without issue and many have multiple colors. I would not keep the blue light on the glofish longer than 3 hours a day as it can affect their vision as well as mess with human's eyes (don't look at the blue light for long periods of time, it causes vision issues).

The pink, red, orange, and green glos fluoresce best under blue light because of the grnes added, blue and purple mainly just absorb it - they all look very nice under a blue/white led in the cool spectrum and even more red doesn't hurt their looks.

I would try some cory cats to offset having fish just in the middle of the rank after you have completed your cycle and have more than just straight blue lighting.

For water changes cooler will be better than warmer, meaning don't add new water that is warmer than the tanks water - even a couple degrees lower is fine. I would not alter your ph if it is stable, ph swings will kill faster than even ammonia and nitrite.
You don't have to do live plants it is just another aspect of the hobby some people enjoy (you can do all fake, some fake and live or straight live it you want - I have all live in mine but I don't keep glofish right now, though they would just have live plants in the long run).

It can be a lot but it looks like you are giving them a good chance.
Thank you, sounds like I'll need a different light. Think I've purchased everything at least 2 times now... Haha. Originally was told to get a 10 gallon tank, this had white lights. Bought a blue light for it. After research, upgraded to a 20 gallon and got another blue light.

Thank you for the ph tip, I knew it was a little high, and when I looked into ph down some of the reviews made me nervous.

Upvote 0

Mcasella

Thank you, sounds like I'll need a different light. Think I've purchased everything at least 2 times now... Haha. Originally was told to get a 10 gallon tank, this had white lights. Bought a blue light for it. After research, upgraded to a 20 gallon and got another blue light.

Thank you for the ph tip, I knew it was a little high, and when I looked into ph down some of the reviews made me nervous.
I've had them in 7.4 and 7.6 when I kept them. They can handle different ph as long as it isn't a sudden switch (like from 7.9 to 7.0).

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

Looking for advice... Didn't want to make a new thread as back story is all here.

Long story short, No idea where my cycle is? On 1/15 moved everything to a bigger tank. Old tank ran for almost a month (not cycled), but not knowing the process I did nothing to it and never registered any Nitrites or Nitrates. Petco rep recommended Microbe-Lift Special Blend & Nite Out, so I did trusting them. 4 days in I started seeing Nitrites and the next day Nitrates. Day 9 the Ammonia and Nitrites dropped off. However, day 11 I started to see trace amounts of Ammonia. I feel like it's more between 0ppm and .25ppm by the color. Been doing prime every 48 hours. Any advice? I don't think I'm cycled yet, but no clue. If cycled, I shouldn't see any ammonia, correct?

PXL_20210130_020237699.jpg

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Since nobody else added it, Anubias should not be planted it should be attached to a decoration because if the rhizome is covered it will eventually rot

Upvote 0

Jimmy20805

Since nobody else added it, Anubias should not be planted it should be attached to a decoration because if the rhizome is covered it will eventually rot
Ah, I threw one away tonight, edges of the leaves started to brown. They other looked ok. I'll look into that and attach it to something.

Any tips on the cycle of my tank? Tried to keep a log every day, but confused with the Ammonia coming back without Nitrites and having Nitrates. No Nitrates in tap water. Fish seem to be doing fine.

Upvote 0

BadhbhCatha

My best newbie guess is your tank is not fully cycled yet. It’s a bit weird that you didn’t see a decrease in ammonia or Nitrates after your recent WC. I would probably do WCs every 24 or 48 hours if I saw that. It looks like your bio filter is trying to catch up. Did you do before and after WC tests? If I did a 40% WC and then did a test and saw no change in my parameters I’d be worried about my testing kit.

Upvote 0

Sputnik

Here are some great tutorials for the nitrogen cycle and fish-in-cycle that should help with cycling. I like them because they are clear and the fishlab one goes step by step-good luck!
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
Emergency: Performing a Fish-in Cycle The RIGHT Way
I agree to hold off on addingbfish until the cycling is done, and address group size for schooling fish later. Hang in there, this effort will be worth it!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
Gianna123