newbie from oz...

rhyno

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gday there fish enthusiasts,
Am getting back into keeping fish , used to do tropicals, but wanna take the plunge into salt water....little bit daunting but excited.

Have bought a complete set up off ebay ..4' tank with all bells and whistles. The tank comes with 25- 30 kg of live rock and about 5 kg of live sand. Need to transport it about an hour , wondering the best way to do so. ....Cheers!

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have no saltwater experience, but just wanted to pop in and say from one aussie to another - gday mate!

Hoepfully one of the salties will give you a hand shortly. Hope you enjoy the site!

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Probably too late now, but the things to worry about are keeping the live rock wet. transport it in buckets of saltwater. Have yourself some saltwater mixed up and warmed up at home. You don't need to transport the water from the other tank (other than to transport the live rock) as the bacteria you need is in the live rock. If there is any supplemental filtration take the media out.

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So do you have Ruby slippers since your from Oz? I have always wanted those!

Welcome to FL- Salt is daunting for sure. I'm trying to figure it out myself! Not sure about transporting but wanted to welcome you!

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just put the rock in a trash can that has never been used doesn't matter what type plastic and fill with the salt water that it has sat in and cover with lid, Soon as you get it to destanation put a good size pump in the can and will be good for several days till tank has been filled with salt water and has balanced out. Do you know about salt water keeping? Have you had a chance to learn about it? Also is the rock cured or non cured? give me a shout mate!!!!

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stang- trying to get funds for my salt stuff will keep you posted...

Sorry for the Ninja...

rhyno

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks very much,
Think im in too deep but what we say in AUS is 'she'll be right mate', hopefully.,,,,
Stang man dont know much about salt water keeping dont know if rock cured or not ....bloke who s selling me the tank has had it running for 4 yrs and had a picture of it with a lion fish in it .....If i just do same thing with live sand will be ok???

Probably too late now, but the things to worry about are keeping the live rock wet. transport it in buckets of saltwater. Have yourself some saltwater mixed up and warmed up at home. You don't need to transport the water from the other tank (other than to transport the live rock) as the bacteria you need is in the live rock. If there is any supplemental filtration take the media out.
supplemental filtration ????

Nope no ruby slippers here mate .....mainly we wear thongs over here and not the underwear type either ha
Thanks for the welcome ..

Merged back to back posts.
Ken

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks very much,
Think im in too deep but what we say in AUS is 'she'll be right mate', hopefully.,,,,
Stang man dont know much about salt water keeping dont know if rock cured or not ....bloke who s selling me the tank has had it running for 4 yrs and had a picture of it with a lion fish in it .....If i just do same thing with live sand will be ok???

supplemental filtration ????

Nope no ruby slippers here mate .....mainly we wear thongs over here and not the underwear type either ha
Thanks for the welcome ..

Merged back to back posts.
Ken
Then it is cured and should be no problem with water perimeters.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom