Newbie fish stocking questions

1. maestro159 Initiate Member

So, I recently decided that in my plans to remodel my basement I would like to include a ~120 gal built in Amazon themed community aquarium. Since I haven’t kept fish since I was a kid (none of with faired particularly well) I am planning on starting with a 20-30 gal tank depending on what I can find on craigslist.
    That’s my plan onto my questions.
    I realize this is largely a matter of opinion, but aesthetically are there guidelines for stocking? For example do too many schools look cluttered, are multiple “centrepiece” fish distracting?

Here is my planned stock list for the 120gal tank:
    4x Angelfish
    6-8x Cory Cat
    10-12x Pencilfish
    8x Red eye tetra
    1x Pleco
    8-10x Hatchetfish

For my startup tank I am thinking (depending on what tank I end up with):
    6x Cory cat
    8x Pencilfish
    6x Hatchetfish
    Can I add one Angelfish to this setup and add more when I get the bigger tank or should I add them at the same time so they are the same size?

Thank you in advance for your answers and insight.

2. thorpbrian Member Member

Welcome to AC!

Sounds like a good plan. The website aqadvisor.com is great for helping to figure out what you can stock in your tank. Hopefully some other people can give you some suggestions too. I don't know anything about pencilfish or hatchetfish so I don't have any input for them.

Also, just in case you didn't already now about cycling your tank properly and the nitrogen cycle, you can read about it here: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm. Properly cycling your tank is vital to keeping healthy fish.

Best of luck on your future fishkeeping adventures!

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

good advice from brian, I just want to say :sign0016:

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

5. abc123d30 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore! :D

I don't know much about the fish you are wanting to keep but I thought that you could only keep one pair of angelfish in a tank, it is quite possible I'm wrong about this but you might want to make sure just in case.

Your future tanks sound great! Good luck!

6. Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a great plan, but I would wait on the angel fish all being the same size would be best. One other thing I would say is that Hatchet fish love to jump out of the tank so make sure its covered very well.:;dete

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!

I think on your 120g, it looks great with the exception of the angels snacking on your pencil fish as the angels grow....

and on your start up tank, I think it would be too crowded for an angel ...maybe get a dwarf gourami instead? unless you dropped maybe the hatchets...