Newbie Fish Owner Question

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright over the weekend I got my fish fish. Yay!
I bought three gold panda mollies.
One male and two female.
They all have been acting about the same and I've been giving them space while still watching them.
My question is about the behavior of the male Molly.
He used to slowly explore and swim with the girls but he has been hiding for over 24 hrs. I've spotted him twice but he doesnt swim around anymore.
Is this bc he's new? He wasn't like this when he first came. He was swimming around slowly and even stating around with the girls.
I see the girls all day. They all still prefer to swim in the back and I know they're new and scared but I'm a newb and concerned about the male.

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Congrats on the fish!
Is there enough adequate hiding space? Plants and what not will make the fish feel more at ease. Otherwise give it a week and see if the issue still persists

GreekGills

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When I first added my barbs, they just glass surfed all the time. As a noob myself, I had that concerned feeling as well, but it seems they were just testing out their new environment. After a day or so they were off exploring and establishing the hierarchy(so much fun to watch)with no more surfing.

He's just being a shy guy in his new abode

Tommy1284

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think each fish is different. I’ve had some that adapt to there New Home in hours and others that take a few days. As long as all your water parameters are checking out I think your fine

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ASHLEY R COOK said:
Alright over the weekend I got my fish fish. Yay!
I bought three gold panda mollies.
One male and two female.
They all have been acting about the same and I've been giving them space while still watching them.
My question is about the behavior of the male Molly.
He used to slowly explore and swim with the girls but he has been hiding for over 24 hrs. I've spotted him twice but he doesnt swim around anymore.
Is this bc he's new? He wasn't like this when he first came. He was swimming around slowly and even stating around with the girls.
I see the girls all day. They all still prefer to swim in the back and I know they're new and scared but I'm a newb and concerned about the male.
My male balloon molly did that when I got him and when I upgraded tanks. He’d stick by the filter on top all day. Only came out for food. I’d just give him time! He’ll come around! Mine did around day 3.

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm still a little worried about my male. He just lays in one spot almost all day. He looks fine otherwise. The other fish even came over and bothered him. He just swam a couple inches away.
He seems depressed.
I know I'm projecting human emotions on him but idk.
20180502_075730.jpg

GreekGills

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If parameters are good and he visually looks fine, he just needs time to adjust. Just control what you can control and he'll come around

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
GreekGills said:
If parameters are good and he visually looks fine, he just needs time to adjust. Just control what you can control and he'll come around
Ok. It's hard not to worry bc he's so different than the others. It's like I'm a new mom again worried about every little thing! Lol

GreekGills

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's very easy to over analyze every little thing, I'm slowly learning that part. Especially if your a little meticulous/OCD like me, you want absolute control. There is only so much we can do, the fish tell us the rest

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It happens that fish which have entered a new enviroment that they may have a slow start to get used to the new conditions. If the molly looks just fine, I'd suggest just leave the molly alone for a while. And with some time the molly will be just fine.

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ah! He won't eat with the others. They are pigs and he hasn't ate a thing (that I've seen)
Also, he has started laying on his side on the bottom, breathing hard.
I almost don't want to look at the tank bc I'm afraid I'm over analyzing him but something seems off. I hope he's ok. Poor little guy! I'm leaving him alone. When do i know he needs help (if there's anything I can even do)?
I am using tetra safe start plus so I'm not testing the water. Is it possible for them to get ammonia poisoning when using tss+? I didn't feed them the first day. And I've feed once a day a pinch since. Except I think I overfed a little today so I'll skip tomorrow. The others aren't showing any distress signs.
I wish I had a fish friend to look at him. None of my family/friends keep fish.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mollies can be aggressive when spawning, the female will harass the male until he fertilizes. This is normal, and usually harmless, but sometimes with new tankmates in new surroundings this can be extremely stressful.

Toss some disposable (new) skippy cups (available at WalMart, Cheap, colourful) in the tank for a couple days and he'll come around. You can improvise, but these are fish safe and widely available.

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mick Frost said:
Mollies can be aggressive when spawning, the female will harass the male until he fertilizes. This is normal, and usually harmless, but sometimes with new tankmates in new surroundings this can be extremely stressful.

Toss some disposable (new) skippy cups (available at WalMart, Cheap, colourful) in the tank for a couple days and he'll come around. You can improvise, but these are fish safe and widely available.
He has lots and lots of hiding places. Two caves, lots of plants, ect.
I do hope he comes around. I really am worried. I hope it's just me being inexperienced and he's just adjusting his own way.
20180502_180519.jpg

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ASHLEY R COOK said:
He has lots and lots of hiding places. Two caves, lots of plants, ect.
I do hope he comes around. I really am worried. I hope it's just me being inexperienced and he's just adjusting his own way.View attachment 434959
O wow, nice tank. It's weird he'd hide in the open like that, they usually sit at the top in a corner to do that.
I wish you luck...

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmm this is starting to sound like something beyond just shyness... could it be that you may have unknowingly got a sick/weaker fish from the store? I have found in the past with mollies that them not moving much or eating and breathing hard usually doesn't end well. Unfortunately I never figured out how to help them, however others may know. Perhaps a 30% water change if you havent done one recently will help? And it may be a good idea to take some of your water to the lfs to get it tested, ideally with a liquid test kit, just to see if the tank is actually cycled. Keep us updated on his progress!

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just got off work. I cannot change any water bc I'm using TSS+.
And I have an API liquid test kit. But it's recommended not to test for 7 to 10 days bc it messes with the results.
The other two still look good. The male was swimming a little this morning but I've found him sitting at the bottom in the grass not moving. I'm trying to see if he's breathing but it's hard to get a good look at him.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom