newbie Cleaning a 56 gallon dirt/sand capped planted tank Question

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by sambofish, Dec 26, 2012.

1. sambofishValued MemberMember

I have a 56 gallon column tank that is a planted dirt tank capped with sand. It seems that every time I do a water change (I do a WC every week about 40%) I never get all the detritus from the bottom of the tank especially around the plants (not sure if this is good for the plants or not). My catfish and pleco's do a decent of not letting it get out of hand, however I am looking at different options:

I have three BN pleco's in the tank...should I add one more?

Should I add MTS or ghost shrimp and are they compitable with Angelfish,Gouramis and my dwarf synodontis? or is it just my technique is off?

what are the effects that can happen with the detritus around the tank even though I am doing WC? I have heard of gas build up that can be poisonous to fish and can actually be harmful to the fish.

Thanks for your all your help.

2. baggy007

baggy007Well Known MemberMember

you cant go far wrong with mts, they do a great cleaning job, if you substrate is around 2 inches there shouldnt be a problem with gas but the mts do a great job of aeration if its any deeper

3. OP
    OP
    s

sambofishValued MemberMember

Baggy-I've heard many conflicting stories about mts, which worries me.

4. baggy007

stories? what worries you? the only bad thing to worry about ( as far as ive read ) is that they can reproduce quite quickly if you over feed your tank and if im not mistaken i think they are maybe the only thing that actually eat fish poop

5. OP
    OP
    s

Baggy-basically they can become a nuisance, but can be controlled with less feelings and assassin snails. What about nerite snails?

6. baggy007

they can be controlled with less feeding or an assassin but i think they are really beneficial to an aquarium, as for nerites i havnt kept them but i think they produce a lot of waste but are good for algae but not poop, and im not sure if they are plant friendly

7. OP
    OP
    s

Cool, I will look into getting some mts to help the plecos and catfish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice