Newbie aquascaping help/advice.

stephanie42

I just recenlty setup a 60 gallon marineland. (L48xW13xH25)
I plan to stock:
1 red tail shark
1 bristlenose pleco
1 blood parrot
1 opaline gourami
8-10 longfin black skirt tetras
8-10 longfin zebra danio
I curently have 6 guppies and 3 platys in a 20 gallon hex that I might move to the 60 in place of one of the schools.
I have a black sand substrate. I will need driftwood for the pleco. And caves/ hiding places. I want low maintanence plants. I was thinking amazon sword, java fern, anubias, and water sprite or hornwort.

How many of each plant should I get?
Plant placement?
How many caves should I get and what sizes? I want the fish to be able to fit comfortably when fully grown.
Any other advice? Am I missing anything?

thepianoguy

while I like the nature scape, which one do u think u are gonna do?

like a biotope?

here are some that I am thinking...

just to let u see...u don't have to follow it but it is cool.

for the plants? idk... well tell us morea bout ur planning?

stephanie42

I don't want anything to jungle like lol. I was thinking a big driftwood as the focal point with some java moss attached to it. Maybe a huge amazon sword at one or both corners. A bunch of densely grown java fern on the back wall tied to caves made up of ceramic pots to kind of hide the pots so they aren't so obvious. Some anubias up at the front tied to small pieces of driftwood. And a bunch of rock caves up front. I want a lot of open space so I could still see the fish and they have room to swim freely but I also want them to be able to hide if they want to so they could feel secure. I want more hiding spots than I need so they can feel comfortable and have options. I'm a bit ocd and like things very neat and tidy so the whole jungle theme just stresses me out lol. I'm open to pertty much anything. Ive never done live plants or driftwood. Ive always just bought fake plants and decorations from the pet store and I hate the artificial look. I want something natural and beautiful.

Solegeminy

what are you using for light in the tank? I just broke my tank down and added all new plants mixed with decorations. I will post a pic of it. I jusd did a google search and looked at s of a bunch of planted tanks and aqua scapes. I created a folder and saved the s I liked and then I picked certain elements of my most fav. pics, then just played with the plants in the tank , during planting, until I was happy .

heres my tank after planting and adding fish, the biggest thing is that YOU are happy with the end result after all the hard work. A little bit of inspiration and your own personal vision can go a long way!

image.jpg

thepianoguy

I don't want anything to jungle like lol. I was thinking a big driftwood as the focal point with some java moss attached to it. Maybe a huge amazon sword at one or both corners. A bunch of densely grown java fern on the back wall tied to caves made up of ceramic pots to kind of hide the pots so they aren't so obvious. Some anubias up at the front tied to small pieces of driftwood. And a bunch of rock caves up front. I want a lot of open space so I could still see the fish and they have room to swim freely but I also want them to be able to hide if they want to so they could feel secure. I want more hiding spots than I need so they can feel comfortable and have options. I'm a bit ocd and like things very neat and tidy so the whole jungle theme just stresses me out lol. I'm open to pertty much anything. Ive never done live plants or driftwood. Ive always just bought fake plants and decorations from the pet store and I hate the artificial look. I want something natural and beautiful.

that not the jungle, its biotope, biotope is something that u mimic the natural life, if u search it up, that is like bringing the nature to ur home aquarium.

so if u chose the fish knowing there habitat and find the right plants and do things like that...

like in amazon there are hardly any plants at the black water pool...

btw jungle is another aquascape style!

what we often do does not really mimmic natural life

Caleb12345

From what I've been told about blood parrots you won't get much from plants because some parrots will just have a fun time digging them up.

I would aI'm towards driftwood, large plants with big roots, and rocks

thepianoguy

yeah.

so u can have a great time having some wood sticks!

stephanie42

From what I've been told about blood parrots you won't get much from plants because some parrots will just have a fun time digging them up.

I would aI'm towards driftwood, large plants with big roots, and rocks

That's true, I totally forgot about the digging lol.
So new plan:
A big piece of driftwood
Lots of twigs scattered around
Rock caves
Maybe an amazon sword in the corner surrounded by large heavy rocks to prevent digging?
I saw some cichlid rock caves for a reasonable price. What size caves should I get for a full grown blood parrot? How big should the opening be?

Caleb12345

Full grown parrots are quite a beast. I've seen a mid sized one at my LFS and he was about the size of a softball. They can also very in temperament... So you may need to switch them out till you find a docile one for your community fish.

thepianoguy

That's true, I totally forgot about the digging lol.
So new plan:
A big piece of driftwood
Lots of twigs scattered around
Rock caves
Maybe an amazon sword in the corner surrounded by large heavy rocks to prevent digging?
I saw some cichlid rock caves for a reasonable price. What size caves should I get for a full grown blood parrot? How big should the opening be?

why don't I give a suggestion?

add some leaves! oak leaves!

stephanie42

I know they are big which is why I'm having trouble figuring out a cave size. I know they can get up to 10 inches and I want something comfortable for him or her that won't be such a tight squeeze. I have seen people use the plastic guinea pig hide outs, but I don't know if that would be safe and it would have to be weighed down and camouflaged cause it's just not an ideal look lol. And suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

why don't I give a suggestion?

add some leaves! oak leaves!

That might actually be really nice. Thanks

thepianoguy

I know they are big which is why I'm having trouble figuring out a cave size. I know they can get up to 10 inches and I want something comfortable for him or her that won't be such a tight squeeze. I have seen people use the plastic guinea pig hide outs, but I don't know if that would be safe and it would have to be weighed down and camouflaged cause it's just not an ideal look lol. And suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

that is safe, and leaves can be also benefit to ur aquarium! help destress and so much more(stress number one and help cure other disease, stronger immune systems!)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
hpt84
Replies
Views
tfreema
Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
Replies
Views