Newbie Advice Needed

acheton

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,

First post! I've bought a second hand tank for my kids for Christmas it is an Interpet Fishpod 48l/10 gallon tank. It came with working heater, pump, thermometer, UV/Normal lights etc. I've been reviewing the and have a few questions which I wonder if someone might help with please?

The tank came with an Air pump but no filter. Looking around I can buy a replacement filter which is compatible easily enough. Given I have no filter is this a sensible choice? What do I do with the pump? Do I need both pump and filter?

Looking at this
of the tank (starting at 2:16), it appears that a plastic drip tray is missing from the tank - does this matter? Should I look to get a replacement?

I am compiling a shopping list for bits I need, so far I have the following items, is there anything missing. I should probably say we would like to have tropical fish:

Substrate / gravel
Dechlorinator / Tap safe - are there recommended brands?
Plants - should I go for live plants or plastic?
Filter start - most advice I've read online talks about giving the tank about 2 weeks or so to settle down (with regular testing) before introducing fish). I am not sure what place filter start plays - given this is for kids for Christmas, would this accelerate the introduction of fish?
Testing kit - I gather I'll need to regularly test the water - any advice on the best options given size of tank etc.
Fish (in due course)

Is there any other equipment such as a net that we might need? On a separate note I am based in the UK where is the best place to get supplies?

thanks,

ach

BettaFishyLuvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, first when you get a filter you will need to cycle it before adding fish (as u already know). Click on the nitrogen cycle it should be in blue writing it will teach you the basics for cycling and how to cycle. If you’re looking for stocking suggestions you could do a betta with a snail (shrimp may become food but you can try) or if you want a bit more movement you could do 3 male guppies I believe. You could do a shrimp only tank but I’m guessing your kids will want something a bit more entertaining. I don’t think the air pump is a need but it does help with oxygen I believe (I’m absolutely awful at this stuff sorry)
For a test kit most of us here use API master test kit. Don’t get strips, they aren’t very good almost to the point of being useless.
For plants you could do plastic or live or silk. Silk or live is best especially if u choose a betta. Some low maintenance plants are java moss and anubias.
I suggest Prime for a water conditioner
It doesn’t really matter what gravel you have unless you choose some bottom feeders (only choice is shrimp) then u would want sand most likely
I’m probably missing some things, sorry I can’t be much help I’m absolutely awful at explaining things to people lol.
Also, welcome to fishlore!

Adriifu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
  • If you get gravel, make sure to buy a gravel vacuum with it.
  • For dechlorinators, I prefer Seachem Prime. It detoxifies ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites while ridding the tank of chlorine at the same time.
  • Live plants take up nitrates and are gentle on fish, but they tend to be a bit messy. Anubias, amazon swords, java fern, and java moss are all great for beginners, as they don't require much light and are easy to care for. Plastic plants are a bit boring, can injure fish, and attract algae very easily, but are generally very easy to care for. The choice is yours.
  • I let my tank cycle for a month using food. Aquarium cycling without fish
  • API Master Test Kit is pricey, but provides everything you need.
Good luck

ThePuzzleMaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your list covers most of the basics. If it didn't come with the filter but only with the air pump you could take advantage of it and use a sponge filter. That way you oxygenate the water and filter it at the same time.
Stocking options for a 10 gallon are almost endless. But seeing that you are new to fishkeeping and the aquarium will be in contact with children you may want to have a hardy fish. My recomendation for small tanks with children involved is almost always a Betta. They are hardy, beautiful and have tons of personality.
I'd also recommend having live plants because they help with nitrates and plenty other things . Besides it gives the aquarium a more natural look. Java fern and Java moss are common and easy to take care of.
Regarding supplies you'll need a gravel vacuum, a net, conditioner, a bucket is also useful for the weekly water changes.
If you want to accelerate the nitrogen cycle you could just buy bacterial supplement and give it a huge jump start.
Good luck!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As far as fish go their is a very long list in the beginning of the stocking section. 10 gallon tanks tend to be species only tanks instead of community tanks.

guppylover228

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sometimes they’re hard to find but you could have 5 or 6 endlers in a tank that size. As long as you got all males so they won’t reproduce. They’re super bright colors and they’re very fun to watch dart around and explore.

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm very partial to guppies, as far as stocking goes. All males of course, so they don't breed. Very pretty and fairly hardy fish!

CricketKeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would definitely recommend a sponge filters for this. They are cheap and hook up to a pump. They are also great for Betta fish, shrimp, and snails (slow/no current and doesn't suck up little ones). You can get them on eBay or a fish store, but I haven't seen them in chain pet stores.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore!

One random fact I'll share (because it's something I didn't fully appreciate when I set up my 10 gallon) is that it'll weight about 110 pounds once filled with water, even more with gravel, and shouldn't be moved unless it's empty. So really think about where you'll put it and make sure whatever's underneath it will support its weight - nothing shaky and no spindly legs that might snap. If the furniture surface might be damaged by water - and water will drip around the tank during routine maintenance - consider cutting some Plexiglas to put underneath it and protect the surface around it.

acheton

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the answers all, very helpful. I think we'll go for live plants. I have realised that my pump doesn't seem to allow me to put a plastic pipe in to go to the filter. So basically I could keep my pump and buy a filter or put a completely new solution in place. If I was starting from scratch with no pump and no filter what solution would be best?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom