Newbie Advice Needed On Bottom Dwellers

Fishilicious

Reaction score
I have a three week old aquarium with five happy guppies but I’ve noticed algae build up on the glass and a little on the rocks and live plants. What would you suggest would be the best, interesting and pretty bottom dweller that stays small and is easy to care for? The tank has a good water change routine, tests well and is 65litres. It’s a long rectangular standard shaped tank with heater, filter, thermometer, floating live plants attached to bark, gravel and two large rocks.

Thanks

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Corries are actually more on the carnivores end of the scale. If they are eating alge they are probably starving. I *would* agree with a bristlenose but seeing my 5” adult in my 30, it seems like a very small tank. Nerite snails are good alge eaters.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can get some nice corys but they don't eat a lot of algae in my experience, you could go for some ottos (otocinclus), they're a very small species of cat fish & move up & down the tank glass all day long grazing on algae, I had a group of 6 in a previous tank & never had any problems with algae.

Fishilicious

Reaction score
I thought an Oto? But would that fit my specifics? Or a Siamese catfish?

How many Otos would be minimum?

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You shouldn't keep one otto on it's own, group of 6 minimum to make them feel secure but I can't see any reason they shouldn't fit in with your plans if you're only going to have 5 guppies in there, one word of caution, are all the guppies male or female or a mix? If you have male & female together they will quickly breed & overrun your tank.

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fishilicious said:
How many Otos would be minimum?
Otos are awesome little algae eaters. They like to school, so I would say a minimum of three. Although, I have one that couldn't care less if he is near any other oto, he just does his own thing. Haha

Fishilicious

Reaction score
All males, Pumpkin (orange littlest one), Lea (older blonde)Leopard (leopard spots)King Luis (overly confident blue) and Grace (chubby purple one). Named by my 6 year old

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fishilicious said:
All males, Pumpkin (orange littlest one), Lea (older blonde)Leopard (leopard spots)King Luis (overly confident blue) and Grace (chubby purple one). Named by my 6 year old
Nice you can get some beautifully coloured males

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom