Newbie 75 Gallon

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After weeks of reading and researching I finally have water in my NEW 75 gallon tank.

The tank, stand, filter and other supplies I got on Craigslist turned out to be mostly useless. The tank was double-walled glass and was fogged so I got a new one at 50% off from Petco. The filter had a massive leak and no matter how much I cleaned I couldn’t get the salt out so a shiny new FX4 comes in tomorrow. Two good things were the stand and the light. You could land an airplane with the light and the stand is nice now that it's black instead of baby blue.

I’ve painted the back of the 75 gallon black and put in 100 lbs of bdbs twice! If anyone tells you that it comes pre-washed and you can put it straight in the tank tell them they are nuts!

I put in the sand straight from the bag, filled up the tank, and holy cow batman the water looked like soup. I tried just doing several water changes and it didn’t clear up so I drained the tank, scooped out 100 lbs of sand into several buckets and took it to the bathroom tub to wash it. Hubby got 30/60 instead of 20/40 so I couldn’t use a colander. Three hours later it was all finally clean and back in the tank. (The pic of black stuff all over my living room floor is the mess from removing wet sand from my tank.)

So very long story short I’ve been bitten by the fish bug in a big way. Even the bdbs debacle was a great learning experience (read, read, and read some more... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.) My $75 Craiglist purchase has turned into way more money than I want to admit but I’m enjoying every part of the process.

Attachments

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you can start adding ammonia to the 75 gallon now. get some BB going in the tank/substrate.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, 20 gallon long seems a bit of a waste for a QT tank, just sayin ;)

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m wanting a couple of sets of schooling fish that I’m planning to buy together so didn’t want to crowd them :)

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi lisa99

What are you using to Water change the tank? Buckets?

Fljoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lisa99 said:
After weeks of reading and researching I finally have water in my NEW 75 gallon tank.

The tank, stand, filter and other supplies I got on Craigslist turned out to be mostly useless. The tank was double-walled glass and was fogged so I got a new one at 50% off from Petco. The filter had a massive leak and no matter how much I cleaned I couldn’t get the salt out so a shiny new FX4 comes in tomorrow. Two good things were the stand and the light. You could land an airplane with the light and the stand is nice now that it's black instead of baby blue.

I’ve painted the back of the 75 gallon black and put in 100 lbs of bdbs twice! If anyone tells you that it comes pre-washed and you can put it straight in the tank tell them they are nuts!

I put in the sand straight from the bag, filled up the tank, and holy cow batman the water looked like soup. I tried just doing several water changes and it didn’t clear up so I drained the tank, scooped out 100 lbs of sand into several buckets and took it to the bathroom tub to wash it. Hubby got 30/60 instead of 20/40 so I couldn’t use a colander. Three hours later it was all finally clean and back in the tank. (The pic of black stuff all over my living room floor is the mess from removing wet sand from my tank.)

So very long story short I’ve been bitten by the fish bug in a big way. Even the bdbs debacle was a great learning experience (read, read, and read some more... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.) My $75 Craiglist purchase has turned into way more money than I want to admit but I’m enjoying every part of the process.
Looks real nice. I was afraid of going used off Craigslist myself. But I think that cabinet came out nice. That was probably worth the $75! I was pricing wood stands for my 55 gallon.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m was using a Python to remove the water. But it was wasting so much water to get the suction going that I switched to a new wet/dry vac.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Definitely worth the price for the cabinet and the light.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice. What’s the plan for the tank?

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m wanting to do a planted tank with 3 angel fish, 6 cory, 6 loaches, a school of tetras, platy, and guppies. The angels, cory and loach are for sure, the rest I’m playing around with.

I really wanted a dwarf gourami but I’ve read that they are prone to disease so I’ve had to rethink my stocking.

I have a large piece of driftwood being delivered Tuesday and once I have that I can start adding plants to help along the cycling.

Attachments

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Driftwood just arrived. Really pretty piece with lots of little holes fish can use for hiding.

DE3494CB-0F42-472D-9A1C-D54EA3316733.jpeg

It is sitting in the bathroom tub with a 5 gallon bucket on it to help it water-log. It’s so big I may have to go the superglue on stone route to get it to stay on the bottom of the tank.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Filter is in and installed and masses of fish poop are swirling in the water thanks to the sponge filter I bought from Angels Plus.

B8403955-501B-49B9-9CE2-DA8DBA830D96.jpeg
48967E79-B421-461C-BB12-7216E30D59C1.jpeg

I did the first dose of ammonia on Sunday (11.37 milligrams) and today it’s down to 2ppm. Didn’t bother testing nitrites yet.

The ammonia “wheel” in the tank is SO off. It shows only .5ppm but the liquid test came out at 2ppm.

Houseofchaos

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did the exact same when I ordered 25kg of Black substrate sand looked like a latte for a while but on advice from aquarium shop once I’d left it 24hrs to settle adding filter floss to the filter had it crystal clean within 24hrs

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ll be getting a school of cory cats and kuhli loaches so I was afraid that every time they burrowed they’d kick up silt so I bit the bullet and washed it.

Houseofchaos

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lisa99 said:
I’ll be getting a school of cory cats and kuhli loaches so I was afraid that every time they burrowed they’d kick up silt so I bit the bullet and washed it.
I probably should have done the same but tank is in an awkward corner so would have been a mega headache just won’t ever do that again lol

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great to know. Thank you.

The cycling process says to let ammonia drop to zero before dosing again. Do I let just the ammonia level or the combined level drop to zero ppm?

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you don't have to let it drop to zero. b/c when you have fish they're constantly producing ammonia.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, makes sense. I’m doing fishless cycle but it’s low enough that I’ll go ahead and add more ammonia.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Congrats on new 75 gallon tank!!

You mentioned you will be getting a school of corydoras and khuli loaches. We have those as well in our 75 gallon community tank and are great bottom dwellers.

If the kuhli's are provided with enough cover and hiding places, they will feel more protected and comfortable. This will allow them to come out a lot during the day. Although many people report theirs are mainly nocturnal, our kuhli's are out all the time. Very social little bottom dwellers and very entertaining to watch.

I would suggest 6-8 minimum, and a dozen or more would be preferable in my opinion. They more company they have, the better. Plus they have a very low bio-load.

Are you still going with some angelfish and gourami? We still have the 3 original sunset thick lipped gourami purchased over a year and a half ago. They have been hardy so far, and very peaceful.

Regarding your filtration, that sponge filter and a FX4 is a great combo.

We also have a FX4 on our 75 gallon community tank.

I didn't want the small fish trying to get into the strainer and get sucked up, so I removed the strainer and installed a sponge prefilter.

It is an ATI Filter Max III. It comes with an assortment of adapters, so it can fit practically any round intake tube. I think Amazon may have them, but I purchased ours from the Ken's Fish website (their Ken's house brand of fish food is excellent).

It hasn't had an impact on flow, since it's a coarse sponge.

It also catches all the large muck and uneaten flake. The fish and plecos are able to come up and graze on it. This gives the added benefit of keeping the FX4 outer foams a bit cleaner and helping extend cleaning intervals.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom