Newbie 75 Gallon

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So post #2 and I’m already dreaming about my community fish tank build.

I really like Angel fish and would like one as my centerpiece fish. I know they can be aggressive so want to have the right companions.

I just found a post that said the following would make good companions - “Good with Bala sharks blue gouramis snake fish dwarf cichlids elephant nose loaches (snake form like the kuhli loach) but not the clown loach, plecos and cory cats.”

I really like the thought of a school of Cory cats but I also want a bigger centerpiece fish. So do I need to squash my thought of an angel as the centerpiece?

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can keep angels in a 75, however, don't get any fish that will fit in its mouth or fish that will harass the angels.

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In my first angel tank (125g) I had about 6 or so angels, a decent number (maybe 8 but cant remember) cory cats, a school of neon tetras, and 2 blue rams. The trick was getting the angels when they were small and full grown neons. By the time the angels got old enough they never bothered the neons. That has been many years ago, Ill see if I can find an old thread with pictures of the tank.

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My Cory’s and angels are fine together. My angels are most aggressive towards each other. Although I got rid of the main trouble maker and the two remaining have become buddies.

!poogs!

Valued Member
Reaction score
I breed angelfish and have several in a 125 gallon community tank. I use it to identify potential breeding pairs and move them to breeder tanks. So angels are constantly in and out of that tank.

This is my advice. I don’t find angels are very aggressive as far as cichlids go. I will list off the fish in that tank shortly, but I find the angels are only interested in the other angels and nothing else. The other thing is if you buy your angels smaller, size of a toonie for us Canadians, you have more options on what you can put them with. Otherwise, when they are larger you have to buy some of these fish larger or grow them out in other tanks before you can add them.

In my community angel tank:

Cory cats
BN plecos (provide a service in the tank)
Kribensis
Neon tetras ( you might be surprised how large they grow, and look great in a school of 8 or more)
Guppies (lots of shimmering colours)
Platys
Cherry barbs
Siamese algae eaters ( better choice than a bala, get long but not as big and deep as a bala, and have better colour imo and they provide a service in the tank)

And none of these fish have any interest in the angelfish. Try and Have more than one angel, it keeps them interested in each other.

Good luck.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone. Very helpful advice.

The challenge will be their preference for heavily planted. I’m brand new at this hobby so doing fish and plants at the same time will be interesting.

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My Cory’s and angels are fine together. My angels are most aggressive towards each other. Although I got rid of the main trouble maker and the two remaining have become buddies.
I agree with this as long as OP has plenty of hiding spots it shouldn't be a issue as they are bottom fish angels are mostly middle/top fish.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
A larger cory species should have little problem. Just make sure they are temperature compatible. Angels like 80. Few cories do.

Emerald cories get big and their temps seem to overlap with the angel range

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Using your recommendations I’ve been playing with Aqadvisor. The filter I’m planning to buy is the FX4.

My build came out like the attached pic. Couple of questions:
Do I have enough (too many?) algae eaters?
I don’t want guppy babies so planning to get all males. I see that they are territorial so is the # of guppies ok?
Dwarf gourami’s weren’t on the recommended list but Aqadvisor didn’t give me a warning. Ok to include some?
Other feedback?

I just saw the last post on recommending a bigger cory. I’ll look at adviser again. Thanks!

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't add smaller fish such as Dwarf Corydoras, Neon Tetras, and Cherry Barbs with Angelfish as the angels may try and eat them. Also, having multiple Dwarf Gouramis in the same tank could lead to constant fighting, however, since you said it's a 75 gallon, I'm not sure how things will work out.

!poogs!

Valued Member
Reaction score
Using your recommendations I’ve been playing with Aqadvisor. The filter I’m planning to buy is the FX4.

My build came out like the attached pic. Couple of questions:
Do I have enough (too many?) algae eaters?
I don’t want guppy babies so planning to get all males. I see that they are territorial so is the # of guppies ok?
Dwarf gourami’s weren’t on the recommended list but Aqadvisor didn’t give me a warning. Ok to include some?
Other feedback?

I just saw the last post on recommending a bigger cory. I’ll look at adviser again. Thanks!
I think an FX4 is a great choice of filter. I use one 90 gallon. You have to watch how you diffuse the water, angels don’t like overly turbulent water. You may want to look at the 407 or the 406. If the 406 or 7 are overrated for a 75 gallon then go with one of them. If it’s just right or marginally better as far a recommendation for 75 gallon, then I would step up to the FX4 for sure. If you want An FX4 I would go for it, you can dial back the output.

I would scrap the idea of a dwarf Cory and go with six regular sized ones. All of the same species. I wouldn’t mix and match. 6 is a good number.

I personally wouldn’t go with a dwarf gourami. I love them. They are beautiful fish. I used to keep them with angels. The colour varieties are superb. I find them to not be as hardy as they once were. They have become hard to keep. They don’t seem to last long and succumb to intestinal issues. Many other fish keepers have had similar complaints. The regular ones are more hardy, but they are not a good match for angels. I would consider switching them up with maybe two more Siamese algae eaters. Or even a couple of Kribensis for variety.

Neons and cherry barbs. A lot of people are going to say don’t put them with angels. You have to select wisely and stock smartly. Your angels will likely not be bigger than a toonie or a loonie from the pet store. Canadian 1063] currency, sorry look it up lol, best reference I have. If you buy neon tetras and cherry barbs at least 3/4 of an inch long, the angels will not be interested in them as a food source. Your not going to be buying all those fish at once. You will buy them in stages. Start with angels, neons, and cherry barbs at the same time. When they are introduced to a tank at the same time there aren’t any issues. Neons and cherry barbs are faster and more agile than angels. My angels don’t even know they exist. It’s early morning here and my tanks are sleeping. I will post you pictures of my angels, neons, and cherry barbs coexisting without any issues. I’ve even had angels spawn in the tank and become territorial with other angel fish, but the other fish are just doing their own thing and the angels don’t bother them. And I have one very nasty tempered female angel in the tank.

Male guppies are nice for their vibrant colours. Female guppies grow bigger. Female guppies keep male guppies interested in them instead of getting in the way of other fish. Yes they will have babies. You don’t have to do anything about it and they just become a free meal. I know that’s harsh, but most times I put the female in a breeding box, and I have enough aquariums to support the breeding and grow them out to give back to pet stores, but you can’t save them all.

I just want to add one caveat for you to consider. If you just throw all these fish in a bare tank, you’ll have issues no matter what they are. You have to have a landscape and terrain that breaks it up and keeps fish feeling engaged in the environment and safe. My tanks are fairly densely planted. With different height plants. I use lots of large aquarium rocks. I use coconut shells, a large hollowed out pieces of drift wood. And of course little ornaments I can’t stand that my wife buys me that I put in the tank to make her happy even though they don’t fit the theme. My neons, guppies, and barbs aren’t hiding in the tank either. They are out there with the angels. Environment just keeps everything more cohesive.

Pictures to follow to give you an ideas

I think an FX4 is a great choice of filter. I use one 90 gallon. You have to watch how you diffuse the water, angels don’t like overly turbulent water. You may want to look at the 407 or the 406. If the 406 or 7 are overrated for a 75 gallon then go with one of them. If it’s just right or marginally better as far a recommendation for 75 gallon, then I would step up to the FX4 for sure. If you want An FX4 I would go for it, you can dial back the output.

I would scrap the idea of a dwarf Cory and go with six regular sized ones. All of the same species. I wouldn’t mix and match. 6 is a good number.

I personally wouldn’t go with a dwarf gourami. I love them. They are beautiful fish. I used to keep them with angels. The colour varieties are superb. I find them to not be as hardy as they once were. They have become hard to keep. They don’t seem to last long and succumb to intestinal issues. Many other fish keepers have had similar complaints. The regular ones are more hardy, but they are not a good match for angels. I would consider switching them up with maybe two more Siamese algae eaters. Or even a couple of Kribensis for variety.

Neons and cherry barbs. A lot of people are going to say don’t put them with angels. You have to select wisely and stock smartly. Your angels will likely not be bigger than a toonie or a loonie from the pet store. Canadian 1063] currency, sorry look it up lol, best reference I have. If you buy neon tetras and cherry barbs at least 3/4 of an inch long, the angels will not be interested in them as a food source. Your not going to be buying all those fish at once. You will buy them in stages. Start with angels, neons, and cherry barbs at the same time. When they are introduced to a tank at the same time there aren’t any issues. Neons and cherry barbs are faster and more agile than angels. My angels don’t even know they exist. It’s early morning here and my tanks are sleeping. I will post you pictures of my angels, neons, and cherry barbs coexisting without any issues. I’ve even had angels spawn in the tank and become territorial with other angel fish, but the other fish are just doing their own thing and the angels don’t bother them. And I have one very nasty tempered female angel in the tank.

Male guppies are nice for their vibrant colours. Female guppies grow bigger. Female guppies keep male guppies interested in them instead of getting in the way of other fish. Yes they will have babies. You do t have to do anything about it and they just become a free meal. I know that’s harsh, but most times I put the female in a breeding box, and I have enough aquariums to support the breeding and grow them out to give back to pet stores, but you can’t save them all.

I just want to add one caveat for you to consider. If you just throw all these fish in a bare tank, you’ll have issues no matter what they are. You have to have a landscape and terrain that breaks it up and keeps fish feeling engaged I. The environment and safe. My tanks are fairly densely planted. With different height plants. I use lots of large aquarium rocks. I use coconut shells, a large hollowed out pieces of drift wood. And of course little ornament I can’t stand that my wife buys me that I put in the tank to make her happy even though they fit theme. My neons, guppies, and barbs aren’t hiding in the tank either. They are out there with the angels. Environment just keeps everything more cohesive.

Pictures to follow to give you an ideas
Here you go I turned on the light so you don’t have to wait.
IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Poogs, thank you SO much for the advice and pictures! It is awesome how much thought you put into it.

I love the look of your aquarium and I can see your wife’s gift in the corner of one of the pics.

I looked up Kribs. They are a beautiful fish! It warned that they can be fin nippers and not to put them with slow moving angels?

The reason I’m looking at the FX4 is that I have a huge wall that I’m putting the tank on. Knowing me by next year I’ll want a bigger tank so thinking about equipment that will work now and if/when I upgrade.

This is where I am after adjustments. I love the look of the Sterba cory.

!poogs!

Valued Member
Reaction score
Poogs, thank you SO much for the advice and pictures! It is awesome how much thought you put into it.

I love the look of your aquarium and I can see your wife’s gift in the corner of one of the pics.

I looked up Kribs. They are a beautiful fish! It warned that they can be fin nippers and not to put them with slow moving angels?

The reason I’m looking at the FX4 is that I have a huge wall that I’m putting the tank on. Knowing me by next year I’ll want a bigger tank so thinking about equipment that will work now and if/when I upgrade.
Thank you very much. Lots of work and few mistakes along the way, but it has been rewarding.

If you look hard she has managed to sneak a few trinkets in the aquarium.

I agree completely with you the fx filters are great for big fresh water tanks and over stocked tanks and very versatile.

I will admit I was concerned as well. Kribs were added to the aquarium towards the end of the stocking. I have 5 kribs in my aquarium all males. Not by design, but a fluke. I had bought 6 and one was female and that just didn’t work out for all the other males. The imbalance created lots of tension among the kribs. When the kribs were added to the tank I was more worried about the kribs because the angels had grown a fair bit. Today my kribs could take out any fish in this tank, but they just don’t. They love shelters and caves they can hang out in on their own. So I have many coconut shell caves they use. And a couple of ornaments my wife snuck in arch shapes and the plants have concealed them so they get used as cave. Even the BN pleco cave has been taken over by a krib. They really like to coast around the bottom of the plants among their hideouts and come up mid level at feeding time. They don’t interfere with any fish in the tank.

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

It really is all about habitat. They don’t nip or try to eat anyone else.

Sterbai are gorgeous I have a half a dozen in tank. Can be difficult to transport. They stress out easily if kept in a bag to long and release a toxin which can kill them if left in the bag to long. Although I have never encountered this problem.

IMG_0132.JPG

Bristlenose plecos are a great addition to a tank. High bio-load, don’t grow big. They are attractive because they are so ugly. I breed them. Not saying you should do this at all but I have lost track of how many I have in this tank because they breed so easy and well, I’ve just run out of room to keep good parents.

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

58544377683__EFE23A03-8856-47D6-897A-6A79D73EF8CD.JPG

58544370149__FE399576-88A5-4EF8-9737-64EE9247306F.JPG

58544368661__55D2FE19-22DD-41F2-871D-1F30D21E01EA.JPG

IMG_3085.JPG

Feel free to pm me if you ever have a question.

TonyTanks

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could put Boesemani Rainbows with your Angels as well. Have both of them in my 60g and they get along fine.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The bristlenose is adorable and that mouth looks like it has some serious suction. Definitely going on the list.

Thanks Tony for the Rainbow suggestion!

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tank build is ticking right along. It's almost cycled and I added plants, rocks and driftwood yesterday.

I need something really tall in the back left corner to balance the driftwood. Eventually the octopus plants in the back will do that job so I'll probably just leave it alone. I also had some floating plants in the tank but I'm running an FX4 with a spray bar so the floating plants just got pushed to the front of the tank.

I'm thinking that I won't be stocking the tank until after Christmas. I'm going to be out of town for Thanksgiving and Christmas and I don't like the idea of having new fish in a new tank without my being there... too much opportunity for something to go south while I'm gone.

1571488556281.png

1571494791870.png

1571494830058.png

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m already having trouble keeping ammonia in the tank so I’m reluctantly thinking of adding some hardy fish a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving and putting in an automatic feeder.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The 75g is fully cycled and I've decided to go ahead and add fish.

It took two 75% water changes today to get the nitrates down to about 5ppm. I'm going to add 2ppm ammonia as needed until Monday afternoon to keep the bacteria going because the lfs that has been recommended doesn't open until Tuesday.

I was curious why the nitrates were so high. I was wondering if the ThriveC that I've been adding for the plants had any impact. After refilling the tank the second time I dosed with ThriveC and then tested again for nitrates. It had no impact on the reading. I probably could have googled it and found the same answer but google has been leading me astray with aquarium stuff so I just tested it myself.

Even though I'm fully cycled I'm going to hold off on getting the bottom feeders until my plants are a bit more established. They were just planted a few days ago and some of the octopus will randomly float on their own without any help from fish so I'll wait a bit.

As for the holidays I saw the trick of putting the fish food into little paper cups so the care taker doesn't overdo it. Now I just have to find a caretaker! :)

My fish list right now includes:
Angel Fish - probably 3 or 4. Plan to get them very small so they can grow up together. And I'll rehome if I have problems.
Kuhli loach - 6
Sterbai cory catfish - At least 6
Bristlenose pleco
Nerite snails
Mystery snails

I still need to decide on schooling mid-tank fish. I've looked at Cherry Barbs, Adult neon tetra, guppies and a few others but just not sure. I'm like a kid in a candy store. I see a fish I've never heard of and really like it. But I don't want a lot of single fish if they should be schooling.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thought I’d report in that I just tested nitrate after the lights have been on for 10 hours.

Nitrates have dropped back down to 5ppm so the theory that when the plants are resting at night nitrates rise is the answer.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom