Newbie...5 weeks later...

Cyberwolf

today i tested my water:

ph: 7.6
high ph: 8.2
ammo: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 40 ppm

now i am wondering what all this means. i did just add - yesterday - a huge piece of driftwood. hoping it will help. i did not do any water changes because one of my favorite people on youtube said you shouldn't do any during the cycle phase, but maybe i misunderstood him. the last one i did was that night i was freaking out over my betta laying down. i have tried to stay off here so I don't appear like a frantic mother. what do these numbers represent and what would you do now??

mattgirl

Cyberwolf said:
today i tested my water:

high ph: 8.2
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 40 ppm

now i am wondering what all this means. i did just add - yesterday - a huge piece of driftwood. hoping it will help. i did not do any water changes because one of my favorite people on youtube said you shouldn't do any during the cycle phase, but maybe i misunderstood him. the last one i did was that night i was freaking out over my betta laying down. i have tried to stay off here so I don't appear like a frantic mother. what do these numbers represent and what would you do now??
I would change out half the water to get the nitrates down to 20. Other than that just enjoy your little water pet :) Just be sure to add your water conditioner to the water you are replacing before pouring it in there. Try to get the fresh water close to the same temp as the water you took out and pour it in there kinda slow just in case your little guy gets overly curious and decides he likes to play in the stream of water.

Personally I would not have confidence in someone that recommends not doing water changes while cycling if there is fish in there. :(

Nickguy5467

as far as ph goes. i dont fully understand how low ph and high ph charts work . , but in my case i get 7.6 on low a 7.4 also in the high test so i have no idea lol. waterchanges arent needed during a fishless cycle. i know that much

whats in your tank?

Cyberwolf

mattgirl said:
I would change out half the water to get the nitrates down to 20. Other than that just enjoy your little water pet :) Just be sure to add your water conditioner to the water you are replacing before pouring it in there. Try to get the fresh water close to the same temp as the water you took out and pour it in there kinda slow just in case your little guy gets overly curious and decides he likes to play in the stream of water.

Personally I would not have confidence in someone that recommends not doing water changes while cycling if there is fish in there. :(
i'm glad you responded. i will go back and re-read your article on cycle info and see if i can't keep myself calm. is it done yet? or not yet? can i add more fish yet? with the betta, i am down to 3 (from 7) neon's and 2 frogs (from 3). never did find the other little froggie but oh well and have no clue where the 4th neon went either. but i am happy these other guys eat like little pigs and i am happy for every day they are here. yes, i do enjoy that little water puppy. god is he odd. i absolutely LOVE his behaviors. i will do the water change. i have my python. i thought putting all my supplies i have now around me and taking a picture. but it would look like i belong. okay. i have a question for you on my supplies though. i have the following product: prime, tap water conditioner, quick start and stress coat. which of these are identical? which ones do a good thing for my fish? i have not added prime or stress coat at all. i did use twc when i changed my water the last panic attack. i will use the twc with the new change. should i add any of the others? i will do half the tank. thank you so much for being so helpful. i hope someday i know enough to help someone else!

also i have the 55 gallon a week behind this one. that one has NO fish. i should put some of the filter in there? in my 30 gallon i have one sponge filter, can i squeeze that into my 55? also, i have 3 other sponge filters. is it okay if i add another one to my 30 and my 55 or is that over doing it? i have a 10 gallon hospital tank on the way too. i have a smaller sponge filter for that. i also have been adding plants to both tanks. they appear to mostly be dying. i just looked at my pathos in the 30 and the upper leaves have blackish blotches like mold on the leaves. i also have a couple snails that came from plants probably. two of them small black and a glob of what looks like eggs on the back glass. i'll see if i can take a picture.

Nickguy5467 said:
as far as ph goes. i dont fully understand how low ph and high ph charts work . , but in my case i get 7.6 on low a 7.4 also in the high test so i have no idea lol. waterchanges arent needed during a fishless cycle. i know that much

whats in your tank?
i have 1 betta, 2 african dwarf frogs from 3, and 3 neon tetras from 7. and a 55 gallon tank that has no fish. i posted a few dozen questions in my other post. below this one/above this one? i am not positive how this all works yet. trying not to be too annoying. it's hard though not to ask every question in your brain when you know you're in a room full of phd's! and plants! i have plants, rocks pepple substrate and driftwood with a sponge filter and a heater of course, set at 82.

Nickguy5467

Cyberwolf said:
i have 1 betta, 2 african dwarf frogs from 3, and 3 neon tetras from 7. and a 55 gallon tank that has no fish. i posted a few dozen questions in my other post. below this one/above this one? i am not positive how this all works yet. trying not to be too annoying. it's hard though not to ask every question in your brain when you know you're in a room full of phd's! and plants! i have plants, rocks pepple substrate and driftwood with a sponge filter and a heater of course, set at 82.
i am certainly not phd in any of this :p just been around the fish block. i ask any question i have with no regrets. people are helpful on here. as noted above. you will want to lower your nitrates through water changes. a 50% shoould work. you dont need them at 0 but like 10-20 is fine , nitrates can only be removed through water changes.

mattgirl

Cyberwolf said:
i'm glad you responded. i will go back and re-read your article on cycle info and see if i can't keep myself calm. is it done yet? or not yet? can i add more fish yet? with the betta, i am down to 3 (from 7) neon's and 2 frogs (from 3). never did find the other little froggie but oh well and have no clue where the 4th neon went either. but i am happy these other guys eat like little pigs and i am happy for every day they are here. yes, i do enjoy that little water puppy. god is he odd. i absolutely LOVE his behaviors. i will do the water change. i have my python. i thought putting all my supplies i have now around me and taking a picture. but it would look like i belong. okay. i have a question for you on my supplies though. i have the following product: prime, tap water conditioner, quick start and stress coat. which of these are identical? which ones do a good thing for my fish? i have not added prime or stress coat at all. i did use twc when i changed my water the last panic attack. i will use the twc with the new change. should i add any of the others? i will do half the tank. thank you so much for being so helpful. i hope someday i know enough to help someone else!
Wow, my head is spinning :D
i have the following product: prime, tap water conditioner, quick start and stress coat. which of these are identical?
I will answer this one first. Everything but quick start are water conditioners. The only thing out of all 4 I would be using is prime. It is first and foremost a water conditioner much like your TWC and stress coat but goes one step farther and protects your fish from low amounts of ammonia. Put all of the others on a back shelf for now.

If you have gone through your ammonia and nitrite spike I have to think this tank is now cycled. If that is the case I highly recommend you change out half the water each week. Doing so will keep the nitrates down to comfortable levels for your fish. That's all there is to it once a tank is cycled.

Cyberwolf

i'm jumping up and down (mentally) right now!! i'm so excited. i know the other tank is not ready cuz i did test it and those parameters are:

high ph: 8.4
nitrite: 5.0 (but it might be higher i have trouble with the shades of purple)
nitrate 10 ppm

but maybe it's close? can i rinse the sponge filter from the 30 in the 55? and i should test the 30 for nitrates now that i changed out 50% water?

Kitley

Welcome to the forum. Not sure if you have hang on back filters...if so, be sure to a add a prefilter on them to keep small fish and snails from getting pulled in. Enjoy your new hobby...you are in great company on this forum.

mattgirl

Cyberwolf said:
i'm jumping up and down (mentally) right now!! i'm so excited. i know the other tank is not ready cuz i did test it and those parameters are:

high ph: 8.4
nitrite: 5.0 (but it might be higher i have trouble with the shades of purple)
nitrate 10 ppm

but maybe it's close? can i rinse the sponge filter from the 30 in the 55? and i should test the 30 for nitrates now that i changed out 50% water?
Rinsing the sponge from the 30 in the 55 might help. I feel sure it won't hurt other than making the water a bit dirty looking for a little while. You could run the test on the 30 but the water change should have gotten the nitrates down to more comfortable levels as long as you don't have nitrates in your source water.

I would say that the 55 is moving forward just as it should. Be sure to keep adding ammonia to keep the bacteria fed.

Cyberwolf

mattgirl said:
Rinsing the sponge from the 30 in the 55 might help. I feel sure it won't hurt other than making the water a bit dirty looking for a little while. You could run the test on the 30 but the water change should have gotten the nitrates down to more comfortable levels as long as you don't have nitrates in your source water.

I would say that the 55 is moving forward just as it should. Be sure to keep adding ammonia to keep the bacteria fed.
how do i add ammonia?? i didn't know that i should do that. i suppose. i can be somewhat slow at times. there are no fish and i'm not putting food in. there are plants that are dying though. and driftwood and a new plant that looks like it's dying now.

mattgirl

Cyberwolf said:
how do i add ammonia?? i didn't know that i should do that. i suppose. i can be somewhat slow at times. there are no fish and i'm not putting food in. there are plants that are dying though. and driftwood and a new plant that looks like it's dying now.
If you are trying to cycle a tank with no fish in it you have to add an ammonia source. Without it there will be no food to grow the bacteria. You can ghost feed it. Meaning adding a pinch of fish food each day just as you would if there were fish in there but it will be messy. OR you can get pure liquid ammonia. Lots of folks get Dr. Tim's ammonium Chloride through Amazon.

Top Bottom