1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Newbie 20g Long Stocking Check

1. M

MRP Valued Member Member

As stated, im pretty much a complete newbie when it comes to aquariums. I'm starting to plan the whole project out and am looking for any advice on my tank stock. I'm reserching as I go for pretty much everything. Does anything stand out as weird with what I have tentatively chosen? I compiled it with AQ advisor.

10x Zebra Danio
    10x Espei Rasbora
    6x Sterbai Cory
    4x Amano Shrimp
    2x Ghost Shrimp

This takes my tank to 97% stocked.
    Filtration capacity is 155%.
    Weekly water change recommended is 43%.

Thank you!

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    M

MRP Valued Member Member

Out of curiousity, why would you not advise the zebra danio?

Thank you for your advice!

4. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

The zebra danios would need cooler water than the sterbai cories.

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Actually sterbai cories are fine in cooler water, they are found in the same river as bolivian rams.
    Zebra danios should be fine, though 10 of those and 10 of the espeis is too many, imo. Do 8 of each.

6. OP
    OP
    M

MRP Valued Member Member

Thanks guys! I picked up my aquarium today and spent some time de-rimming it (way easier than I thought). While I was at Petco, I had the chance to check out some fish and I was very surprised that some species I was interested in, were a bit disappointing; and others that I had ignored were actually quite appealing. Cories were even cuter than I thought, zebra danios were nicer in person. Harelequin rasboras, which I take to be very similar to espei were pretty underwhelming. I'm going to do more research but I would like to have the sterbai and zebra in the same tank; 24 degrees C. seems like a good temperature to maintain for the tank.

The Electric yellow cichlid kinda stole the show for me, with his burrowing and spitting gravel.