newbi starting a tank

florida_newbi

Reaction score
so im geting a tank and since i dont have money right now i want to start a fresh water tank and move up later to slat water as of now i know nothing about frsh water and waht are the requirements to have one iv only read abiout salt water and to my knolage the are 2 diffrent animals umm im gessing u still need to cycle the tank but what do i need in turms of filtration, & lighting. im geting a tank for free so i dont know in what shpe its in or what size umm will let u know as soon as i know

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It depends on the sze of the tanks as to what filter you will need as well as heater.

florida_newbi

Reaction score
im geting the tank today but im gessing its atlest a 29 gallon tank but what do i need a wet dry and a protine skimmer?

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
no a protein skimmer is only needed for saltwater tank with hard calcium rock. ie. coral. You also don't need a wet dry filter. I would recommend the Emperor BIO-Wheel Powerfilters 280. It is designed for a 25-50 gal tank. Here is a site with more info.

As for a heater I would recommend the Visi-Therm Deluxe Heaters you probably would need the 100W version.

I have this heater in my small salt water tank.

Lighting is simple all you would need is a standard fluorescent bulb set up. Just make sure you get one that runs the complete length of the tank.

I have found that, that site has some of the best pricing around, but you can look at many other sites. Hope that this info helps.

florida_newbi

Reaction score
i got my tank 10 mins ago the person that gave it to me gave it to me with a monster of a cleaner fish(dont know the name) its a 20 gallon tank it has 2 power filters one for 10-20 gallons the other for 20-30 gallons umm the water is clowdy for some reson fish are just floting int the bags so they get use to the temp will the clodyness go away oh btw i dont have a light is it needed for a fresh water tank or no the room gets alot of indriect sunlight and is on till around 10 pm i have a light fixter for the tank i just dont have a bulb and i dont know what bulb it uses or where to buy

florida_newbi

Reaction score
i also have 3 Zebra Danio (i think) and the other 2 are un id but that cleaner fish wow its 6 ins long at lest its huge if its gets any bigger im gunna have to move it to a lake or a canal and buy a new cleaner fish

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score

florida_newbi

Reaction score
its the pelco its about 2 years old ya i know its a bit too big cant give it away cuse all my buddys have slat water tanks ya its starting to clear up lol it been in that tank with those fish for 2 years the lady harldy gave them food never change the water so i took it off her hands cant say no to a free tank and e free filters umm how much would a heater run me at my lfs? gave the fish a bit of food man they wher hungry will get a heater and a digtal read out on monday umm i have the clorine remover do i need a ph buffer or anything ?and how can i figer out what bulb do i need to buy

thx
anthony

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah talk to your LFS and see if they will take the Pelco from you and maybe give you a store credit for it.
A 100W heater at your LFS could run you anywhere from $20-$40 depending on which model. I recommend one that is adjustable and has a built in thermostat. You will also need to pick up a water test kit. I recommend the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Liquid Master Test Kit. I would recommend doing a 20% water change on the tank and you can use the Dechlorinator on the water you are changing. Also I would not worry about using a PH buffer. Unless your water out of the tap is super bad. PH that is a little high or a little low is OK as long as it is constant. Using a Ph buffer will cause the Ph level to fluctuate and stress out the fish. As for the light what does the housing look like? You could allways bring it with you to the LFS and ask them.

florida_newbi

Reaction score
its a 18 in floro singal bulb by perfecto ill get pics if u need it the fish are all active they look happy i gess its cuse they like geting feed for once lol

florida_newbi

Reaction score
the lady found the old bulb but it gives perpul light is this normal? do i need to buy a new bulb? if so can i just take the bulb to the lfs for them to tell me what bulb i need?

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That is a different type of bulb, it is designed to stimulate plant growth. You can just go and get a standerd daylight florescent bulb.

florida_newbi

Reaction score
well today i went out (pay day) and got a heater and a digital read out i out the hater at 80 degrees f is that ok right now the water is at 72 dgrees poor fish well my lfs was closed so i went to the one across the street they told me to trow it away any one want it i dont want to kill this poor fish as it is not his falut he is big umm btw im seting this up as a futer salt water tank so the next thing i will buy is filtration for a salt water tank am also going to get t-5 lights

umm any idea how much it will cost to buy a blub for this light? and where can i buy it

edit- can i put my temp probe in the filter its the only place where my fish wont mess with it

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What filter do you have? Most likely I would not recomend putting the probe in the filter as you will get a faulty reading do to the heat from teh pump. But that depends on the filter.

florida_newbi

Reaction score
its a tetra powefilter 20-40

florida_newbi

Reaction score
should i keep it on all the time or only when i want to check the temp? umm its at 74 deggress the water wow its cold i took it out the filter put it under a rock will put most od the cod under the gravel with the probe sticking up will this harm my pelco or the probe ?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you get a 29 gallon tank, another GREAT filter for it would be Aqua Clear 70 - I have it in my 30 gallon tank. In my opinion, it's one of the best external power filters, if not THE best external power filter. As for the temperature, it's good to have a temperature around 78F in a freshwater tank. Besides, you are familiar with the Nitrogen Cycle, right?

florida_newbi

Reaction score
yes i use the same cycled water that was in the tank all i did was a 20% water change umm the temp is up to 81 degrees

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What kind of heater did you get. Most have a thermostat in them and will turn on and off on there own when the temperature dictates. And did you put it under a rock or just behind it?

florida_newbi

Reaction score
visiterm deluxe ya it turns it self on and off i have the water at a costent 82 now

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom