Newbe Starting A 150 Gal. Saltwater Coral Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikef

Reaction score
I have a 150 gal Marine land duel megaflow tank with sump, skimmer, 8" sock filters, four aqua Mars 165w box lights, with dual pumps and dual Heather's. Been thru cycling and started adding coral no problems but since I started adding fish I have started losing them. Purchased two flame angles, two yellow tangs and one of each pair has died, what could be happening.
20181119_182404.jpg
20181021_183422.jpg

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Off topic, but I’d be careful with what corals you keep with the Angel, they sometimes like to nip at them. Have you noticed any aggression beforehand? Can you list your parameters?

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How long has the tank been cycled for? Do you quarantine your fish before adding them? Also it's just me but Angels and Tangs need well established tanks to thrive as they need algae growing to graze on throughout the day. Also how often are you feeding and what are you feeding? Tangs and Dwarf Angels also need daily seaweed/nori feedings.

Mikef

Reaction score
How long has the tank been cycled for? Do you quarantine your fish before adding them? Also it's just me but Angels and Tangs need well established tanks to thrive as they need algae growing to graze on throughout the day. Also how often are you feeding and what are you feeding? Tangs and Dwarf Angels also need daily seaweed/nori feedings.
The tank has been setup and running now for about six months, I have not setup a quarantine tank yet but after finding a case of marine ick on one of my angels I plan to start. I am feeding frozen mysis shrimp, dosing with phytoplankton for anemones and clam. I have added live plants to my sump to promote algae growth but don't have much in the tank at all. The Angel's are picking on rocks hard manly ones with mushrooms.
1543723595980.jpg

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's a combo of ich and not having enough food to graze on. Tangs are well known ich magnets and are very susceptible to it due to their thin slime coat (protective layer for fish). You will need to remove and treat all your fish in a quarantine tank with a copper based solution in order to eradicate ich and your existing tank will need to be fishless for 3 months to ensure it dies off. Unfortunately your other fish have it, they are just adept at fighting it off at this point, but it will be a threat to any new fish you put in your tank and your existing fish can be killed by it when their immune system eventually becomes compromised.

Mikef

Reaction score
It's a combo of ich and not having enough food to graze on. Tangs are well known ich magnets and are very susceptible to it due to their thin slime coat (protective layer for fish). You will need to remove and treat all your fish in a quarantine tank with a copper based solution in order to eradicate ich and your existing tank will need to be fishless for 3 months to ensure it dies off. Unfortunately your other fish have it, they are just adept at fighting it off at this point, but it will be a threat to any new fish you put in your tank and your existing fish can be killed by it when their immune system eventually becomes compromised.
Today I purchased a new 10 gal tank and going to set it up under the main tank next to my sump. So after removing the fish what about the others in the tank? Anemones, crabs, shrimp, would they carry the ick back to the fish? I purchased some ich-x with the tank. Going to use this time to prep rock for coral frags and move rock to back glass for maximum visual effects of coral in background and force fish to front of tank as much as possible. If this is a bad idea now would be the time all to give ideas since fish will be out of tank. Thanks all

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The good news is that only the fish are affected by disease as the parasite needs them to survive long term. It is possible to have inverts carry the eggs, but ultimately they will hatch and need a fish for a host (hence the 12 week fish free MINIMUM recommended as that is about the maximum life cycle for the parasite to go from egg to starving to death). It's a good thing too as copper is great for fish, but absolute murder on inverts (including corals) and can cause havoc when it leeches into substrate, hence a bare bottom QT tank is best, it's just much easier to use, treat and then flush out when done (You want to do this to ensure no residual nasties can affect any future fish to be QT'ed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 21 70.0%

Top Bottom