Newb To Saltwater Tank Build

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finished Tank prep for Hurricane Dorian last night and it seems the eye will not hit us but we will defintely get hit with tropical storm, cat 1 winds. Did a 30% wc, sand vac, changed carbon, cleaned ato sensors, cleaned glass and dosed 75% dr tims waste away. The Water is looking very clean and the rocks and plugs seem to look alot cleaner. They had a tinge of discoloration but its going away. Coraline is starting to come back strong now.

Im glad its set to not make landfall in florida but now the east coast has to worry.

Tested the water and my alk is at a consistent 11.5 dkh and 440 ca. seems like the sweet spot for kalk in my ato is 4g or ro with 1/2 tsp of kalk and 1 g of plain ro.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Little update , tanks doing good. Got a single polyp of fire and ice from a local reefer whos beautiful bubble coral baptised it for growth. Picked up a neon green candy cane coral from another local reefer.
We also started a small Miami reef club for the people in south florida and so far everyone seems friendly lol @stella1979 linked you on the other site lol they have some nice frags and tanks

Went to mix some water for a wc and found my power head dead. Ordered some new mixing power heads and a mj900 to replace the stock return pump on the tank. Found my back up pump chewed through by my rabbit when he escaped -.-

20190905_181538.jpg
20190904_203118.jpg

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Seems my very tiny fire and ice polyp dissapeared Here are some shots of the tank with a decent camera no filters yet.

1567821202407_image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grantm91 said:
Turning into a nice packed Reef !
yes sir its about time ! lol Im addicted I went to a fellow reefers house the other day to buy the candy canes and had to resists so bad from buying his uter chaos and sunny d zoas. Those utter chaos look amazing in person.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah they are gorgeous ! Someone is on the way over to my place now for a bargain tyree orange rainbow frag, (zoas) was 2 poly but no one has bought it so its turned to 5 polyps, still only 15 i ask for it though. This guys always coming to me lol. If you find a good friendly reefer with good prices its great.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grantm91 said:
Yeah they are gorgeous ! Someone is on the way over to my place now for a bargain tyree orange rainbow frag, (zoas) was 2 poly but no one has bought it so its turned to 5 polyps, still only 15 i ask for it though. This guys always coming to me lol. If you find a good friendly reefer with good prices its great.
The problem I see down here is I have yet to find a spotless tank without pests so it triple dipping everything and swapping frag plugs to keep things clean. The stores seem to think aptasia is like a decoration lol

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My test this week prior to water change. since my mixing pump died and waiting for the new one

Ph- 7.8

Salinity - 35ppt

Nitrate - 2-5ppm

Phosphate - 0.1ppm

Alkalinity - 11.5 DKH

Calcium - 450ppm

Magnesium - 1380ppm

Started using a full dose of Dr. Tims Waste away yesterday after slowly working up 20% a week from a half dose. What I have observed is my power head , over flow grate, and rear compartments no longer have any oil fish gunk, frag plugs are looking alot cleaner and residual algae is gone from them. "Pineapple" sponges are starting to grow on the back side of my rocks. will continue to document any changes. But definitely see the difference in my power head and return pump.

No bacteria bloom so far so good.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
upgraded my return pump today from 106gph to 230 gph mj900, The flow is definitely increased lol my rear chamber water level dropped and had to readjust my ato sensor. currently between my power head and return I am at 51x turn over in the tank. A fellow local reefer is going to give me a innovative marine spin stream to give it some randomized flow. definitely like how the tanks coming out.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Little update. Ended up picking up a small magnetic frag rack. Picked up 4 new frags. One frag of fire and ice zoa about 10 heads and one frag nipi zoas about 10 heads, a frag of some green palys and a nuclear green toadstool frag. The toadstool is a little mad at me dipping it still lol.

IMG_0953.jpg
IMG_0956.jpg
IMG_0955.jpg

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grantm91 said:
Nice pics and coral haul, i like a nice rack too lol. Ive got a magnetic one and a sucker one. Do you just have 1 clownfish ?
Yes I have a singular clown fish. Since the tank only has 8g of water volume did not want to put more in the tank. Now that I look back on it I problably would have gone with 2 lol but in hindsight everything is 20/20 haha. I got sammy when he was less than a inch he has taken off and eats like a fat pig even steals food from coral when his belly is super fat.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grantm91 said:
Thats crazy i thought this was like a 32g for some reason haha
I wish **** can wait to set up the 29 biocube but I want to eventually get either a 75g or 120g

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
little update, Properly installed the spin stream, moved my hammer , zoas , toad stool, candy cane and birdsnest around and added a rock to the back. now everything seems to be happy. Happy with the way the tank is looking. looking into making a chaeto reactor later this year and upgrading the 13 year old hydor powerhead soon lol

IMG_1053.jpg

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
im not sure how it happend but my two float switches and timer stuck on and my ato dumped 2 gallons of kalkwasser saturated water into my tank a10 mins ago its 2am at the moment lol its going to be a long night -.- ph is at 8.4 and salinity is at 1.020 so its not that bad but stressful on the corals none the less

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So after no sleeping, drying the house, fixing the salinity and alkalinity. I am tired lol so I changed a gallon of water out and replaces with water I mixed till I got it to 1.026 again. The alk is at 12.2 which is not much higher than my salt mixes to. my ca is 410. Im going to give the tank a few days to consume the alk and see what the damages are to the corals. So far my toadstool has a little bit of brusing the rest of the corals arw closed so I cant tell till lights on later today.

So both my float switches internally stuck on. Was checking them and removed the magnets and they were still on. Had to give them a tap. Replaces with new float switches. Checked my timer and figured out the issue. Apparently if I switch the timer on and back to auto it stays on. I have to switch it off then back to auto -.- lets see how the corals recover from this one. Will be manually dosing two part for a while, while the new switches prove tbey work with just rodi water

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom