Newb To Saltwater Tank Build - Page 26

OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After some testing decided to try out kalkwasser vs 2 part due to my tank being very low demand and it being the most automated in my ato system. As a redundancy I have two water level switches and a 1 minute time on it as a precaution

Started by mixing in my 5 gallon ato reservoir 1/2 tsp per gallon and will monitor and adjust based on demand.

Dkh is at 9.9
Calcium at 430
Mag at 1350

scotty81

Reaction score
I see you have your lights on for 6 and a half hours, Ihave my lights on for 10 hours. I’m guessing I should back that off.

OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scotty81 said:
I see you have your lights on for 6 and a half hours, Ihave my lights on for 10 hours. I’m guessing I should back that off.
I have tried different amounts, the corals seem to like between 6-8 hours. when you have any funky algae problems I usually go to a 6 hour light cycle. I switched it back up to 7 now with the refugium and I have no algae issues at all and I have been feeding very heavily

OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After thinking on it and wanting some more color in the tank I have decided I want to give zoanthids a try. Any recommendations on the easier to keep varietys and the ones to stay away from are welcome. Have been trying to grab some frags but all the ones I see are a bazillion dollars so far lol

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Radioactive dragon eye zoas. Not got them anymore myself but they are cheap and super bright and do well in all tanks. Perfect for you. A bit higher grade but still a good suggestion would be utter chaos, they have bigger polys and are just gorgeous
IMG_0395.jpg
red is always good lol. Still cheap for what they are too.
IMG_0396.jpg
or even nuclear green palys, they are cheap cheap, be cautious though and isolate them as they’re a bit of a weed.

OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So far picked up a single polyp of mary jane zoas when I made a small stop at the lfs for $5 love the purple pink coloration. Going to problably pick up some pandora palys today love that galaxy look. Need to add some more color to the tank lol.

Here is a small vid of what the tank is looking like 5 weeks after the h202 disaster. Since adding the fuge and feeding every other day reef roids and aminos once a week love how the corals are looking. My wife even asked me if I had bought new corals lol

OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tonight I met a new reefer in the area selling zoa. Bought a frag of about 8 polyps of pandora palys, 3 polyps of pink zipper zoas, and another one that has orange and yellow. Dipped and cleaned up the plugs. no pests present just a little bit of normal reef crud and 2 vermitid snails scraped them off and deeply inspected the plug everything else was clean and changed one plug that had a snail in such a way it was much easier to swap.
It was the cleanest frag tank I have seen did not spot the vermitid snails till the polyps closed in my dip solution. will get some pics once they open up and say hello lol

OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here is a few pictures of the pandora paly, pink zipper , mary jane and mixed zoa frag have no idea what the mixes zoas are called.

20190824_192920_HDR.jpg
20190824_192924_HDR.jpg
20190824_192927.jpg
20190824_192933_HDR.jpg
20190824_192912_HDR.jpg

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You gone zoa crazy man haha nice catch !!

OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grantm91 said:
You gone zoa crazy man haha nice catch !!
Its a addiction so much variety and they are so pretty lol

OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grantm91 said:
Tell me about it I love them
Thinking of moving all the zoa to the left bottom rock and the favia to the center left. In the rear center thinking of adding a candy cane frag to grow behind the center which I plant to make a hammer and frog spawn garden. Moving the montipora to the top left rock near the birdsnest is the plan so far. Think I may make my pick tank a zoa garden

Started using Dr Tims waste away today at half dose and every week upping the dose by 25% per dr tims customer service. Lets see if it makes any difference in the tank.

OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finished Tank prep for Hurricane Dorian last night and it seems the eye will not hit us but we will defintely get hit with tropical storm, cat 1 winds. Did a 30% wc, sand vac, changed carbon, cleaned ato sensors, cleaned glass and dosed 75% dr tims waste away. The Water is looking very clean and the rocks and plugs seem to look a lot cleaner. They had a tinge of discoloration but its going away. Coraline is starting to come back strong now.

I'm glad its set to not make landfall in florida but now the east coast has to worry.

Tested the water and my alk is at a consistent 11.5 dkh and 440 ca. seems like the sweet spot for kalk in my ato is 4 gallon or ro with 1/2 tsp of kalk and 1 g of plain ro.

OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Little update , tanks doing good. Got a single polyp of fire and ice from a local reefer whos beautiful bubble coral baptised it for growth. Picked up a neon green candy cane coral from another local reefer.
We also started a small MiamI reef club for the people in south florida and so far everyone seems friendly lol stella1979 linked you on the other site lol they have some nice frags and tanks

Went to mix some water for a wc and found my power head dead. Ordered some new mixing power heads and a mj900 to replace the stock return pump on the tank. Found my back up pump chewed through by my rabbit when he escaped -.-

20190905_181538.jpg
20190904_203118.jpg

OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Seems my very tiny fire and ice polyp dissapeared Here are some shots of the tank with a decent camera no filters yet.

1567821202407_image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg

New Threads