Newb To Saltwater Tank Build

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tested water prior to my weekly water change.

Sg- 1.026

Ph 8.0

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrite- 0ppm

Nitrate - 5-10ppm

Po4 - 0.03ppm

Dkh - 10.2

Ca - 400ppm

Mag - 1260

increased Light cycle by half a hour to 6 hours and 30 minutes. Had decreased it when I had my original GHA problem.

Did a 2.5g wc coraline is starting to show but not as prominate yet Everything else is looking good. Birds nest is starting to extend its polyps fully, monti is starting to show color again during lights on , war corals are starting to regain coloration also.

Think I may raise magnesium to 1350 and calcium to 420 but not sure if I want to dose anything yet. have esv 2 part on the shelf and can pick up mag fairly quickly if needed.
any input is appreciated

spot feeding every coral every other day with frozen foods from the san fransico bay brand mixed with a bit of reef roids, alternating between mysis, brine, plankton, and emerald entree. using 1ml of seachem reef plus, seachem phyto plankton and seachem zoo plankton. added 4x4x4 hob refugium lighting 12 hours a day with a golf ball size of clean chaetomorpha and diatoms are all gone it has almost grown to fill the entire box in a week.

any input is welcome to aid in recovery. I can honestly say that with the heavy feeding The coral coloration on the rock flower anemones , duncan and frog spawn is looking extra vibrant. once my camera filters come in I can get a better picture and video. when the lights are on the pics and video does not do it justice.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Raised calcium with esv this morning to 420 ppm with 2/3 the recommended dose. dosed 1/3 and tested 2 hours later than added another 1/3 and tested 3 hours later. ordered some magnesum to raise it to 1350. alk is still at a stead 10.2 dkh. lets see how the tank does

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After some testing decided to try out kalkwasser vs 2 part due to my tank being very low demand and it being the most automated in my ato system. As a redundancy I have two water level switches and a 1 minute time on it as a precaution

Started by mixing in my 5g ato reservoir 1/2 tsp per gallon and will monitor and adjust based on demand.

Dkh is at 9.9
Calcium at 430
Mag at 1350

scotty81

Reaction score
I see you have your lights on for 6 and a half hours, Ihave my lights on for 10 hours. I’m guessing I should back that off.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scotty81 said:
I see you have your lights on for 6 and a half hours, Ihave my lights on for 10 hours. I’m guessing I should back that off.
I have tried different amounts, the corals seem to like between 6-8 hours. when you have any funky algae problems I usually go to a 6 hour light cycle. I switched it back up to 7 now with the refugium and I have no algae issues at all and I have been feeding very heavily

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After thinking on it and wanting some more color in the tank I have decided I want to give zoanthids a try. Any recommendations on the easier to keep varietys and the ones to stay away from are welcome. Have been trying to grab some frags but all the ones I see are a bazillion dollars so far lol

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Radioactive dragon eye zoas. Not got them anymore myself but they are cheap and super bright and do well in all tanks. Perfect for you. A bit higher grade but still a good suggestion would be utter chaos, they have bigger polys and are just gorgeous
IMG_0395.jpg
red is always good lol. Still cheap for what they are too.
IMG_0396.jpg
or even nuclear green palys, they are cheap cheap, be cautious though and isolate them as they’re a bit of a weed.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So far picked up a single polyp of mary jane zoas when I made a small stop at the lfs for $5 love the purple pink coloration. Going to problably pick up some pandora palys today love that galaxy look. Need to add some more color to the tank lol.

Here is a small vid of what the tank is looking like 5 weeks after the h202 disaster. Since adding the fuge and feeding every other day reef roids and aminos once a week love how the corals are looking. My wife even asked me if I had bought new corals lol

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tonight I met a new reefer in the area selling zoa. Bought a frag of about 8 polyps of pandora palys, 3 polyps of pink zipper zoas, and another one that has orange and yellow. Dipped and cleaned up the plugs. no pests present just a little bit of normal reef crud and 2 vermitid snails scraped them off and deeply inspected the plug everything else was clean and changed one plug that had a snail in such a way it was much easier to swap.
It was the cleanest frag tank I have seen did not spot the vermitid snails till the polyps closed in my dip solution. will get some pics once they open up and say hello lol

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here is a few pictures of the pandora paly, pink zipper , mary jane and mixed zoa frag have no idea what the mixes zoas are called.

20190824_192920_HDR.jpg
20190824_192924_HDR.jpg
20190824_192927.jpg
20190824_192933_HDR.jpg
20190824_192912_HDR.jpg

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grantm91 said:
Tell me about it i love them
Thinking of moving all the zoa to the left bottom rock and the favia to the center left. In the rear center thinking of adding a candy cane frag to grow behind the center which I plant to make a hammer and frog spawn garden. Moving the montipora to the top left rock near the birdsnest is the plan so far. Think I may make my pick tank a zoa garden

Started using Dr Tims waste away today at half dose and every week upping the dose by 25% per dr tims customer service. Lets see if it makes any difference in the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom