Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That bites.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow, you can't catch a break lately!:shifty: Sorry, bud. Well, if it makes you feel any better... I gotta be in Kendall before 7am tomorrow. And... I should be done with the area by 9am, but that's too early to hit up fish or reptile stores and I'll probably get the worst of the traffic on the way back down south.:grumpy:

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
stella1979 said:
Wow, you can't catch a break lately!:shifty: Sorry, bud. Well, if it makes you feel any better... I gotta be in Kendall before 7am tomorrow. And... I should be done with the area by 9am, but that's too early to hit up fish or reptile stores and I'll probably get the worst of the traffic on the way back down south.:grumpy:
That is a rough time to be in that area for sure. I have to be in doral for my last service call of the day at 4 so you can imagine the rush hour traffic back down south lol

When you least expect murphy comes running luckily I have redundancies always. 1 is none 2 is one and 3 is a party lol. Grabed my aqueon pro heater from my mixing bucket and adjusted it over a 6 hour period last night to get it to a sweet spot around 78-79 degrees. Ordered a 75watt ehieim jager heater to have as a backup and to temp match water. Have two digital thermometers and a floating to ensure temp for the next few days is stable and made a temp chart to log consistencies. Over on r2r I have been updating posts on recovery as well in the h2o2 peroxide thread with the same person who helped me in the rip cleaning properly of my tank.

What I think will be the beat route to recovery is stable water chemistry and temp along with 2-3 times a week feedings of reef roids and weekly feeding of meatier foods once corals open more.

The rfas have practically bounced back completly, even the babies are open lol the birds nest is looking feathery during light hours. The frog spawn has begun extending more. The war corals are looking bad but with a black light I can still see some spots of color coming back and polyps showing so there is hope! The monti looks to have a few specs of red and a littlw on the edges. The coraline is whitish but according to my readings usually make a recovery.

Thinking of maybe incorporating some acropower amino acids to help recovery and maybe some live phyto whay does everyone think?

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some more casualties found today. One trochus snail and one more nassarius snail found dead. Pulled them out before they become ammonia batteries. They are behind a rock that I dont usually look behind. My poor old trochus snail he was a year and a half old and survived everything till now.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Seems like I was a bit late ammonia spiked a bit. Did a 3 gallon wc and dosed seachem prime. Nitrite and nitrate look good. Also had my duncan fall off the plug while grabbing the snails -.-
20190718_095708.jpg

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Morning tank update. Coraline is a fragment of its former glory. Birdsnest shed a little of its skin. Duncan is looking better. Monti has a few tiny pin points of pigment. Anemones are looking ok. Frog spawn is about 30-40% of ita normal self. Fed reef roids and my frozen cube mix.

Tested nitrite and nitrate and it seems perfect with prime in the water cant get a viable test till 11am.

Thinking of dosing zoo plankton and amino is anyone doing so with good results?

20190719_052829.jpg
20190719_052835.jpg
20190719_052844.jpg
20190719_052858.jpg

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Video update of tank made yesterday.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
checked tank perameters ammonia is at 2.0, nitrite is 0 nitrate at 0-5.
did a 50% wc and dosed prime to mitigate any issues. fun days lol

any recommendations or advice is welcome

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Found a few vermitid snails I removed on my frog spawn with some wire cutters. Im surprised they survived the h202. All the corals seem to be coming back around slowly. The coraline algea is starting to coming back also in spots around the rock. Spot feeding reef roids every other day and started dosing zooplankton and seachem reef plus. the war corals are starting to get tiny specks of color again like the monti also removed my diy skimmer the lime wood air stone was clogged and added my filter floss with spone back on the tank and tossing it every 3 days. I hope to get a hammer frag or galaxea soon. going to finally get around to attaching my duncan to its permant place and once the monti recovers going to start moving it higher in the rock work also.

week 1.jpg

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
attached my duncan today. made a little platform with some epoxy from instant ocean, then placed a little too much crazy glue on the rock lol almost engulfed the poor duncan. he would not retract and a few of his tiny tenticles got caught in the glue had to seperate them with a baboo skewer lol he should do ok once he relaxes and opens back up.

duncan.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Eeek! It's been a long time and I've learned my lessons but back in the early days, I got glue everywhere! I'm talking like... gluing xenia and zoa polyps closed and/or together. Got it all over the surface of my war coral and a favia or two, and even on acan polyps. I have GLUED MY FINGER to fleshy stuff and had to tear it off then scrape bits of coral off of my finger. Miss Shakey Hands over here has done it all and... they've all been fine. Plus, you'll never see the mount when the Duncan is happy.

I've never used the Instant Ocean epoxy but some folks here have had bad things to say about it's strength over time. I think someone said it crumbles easily once cured so take care with the siphon and such. Point is, next time you're shopping for epoxy, I can recommend the Aquastik since it's what's I've used all along.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
stella1979 said:
Eeek! It's been a long time and I've learned my lessons but back in the early days, I got glue everywhere! I'm talking like... gluing xenia and zoa polyps closed and/or together. Got it all over the surface of my war coral and a favia or two, and even on acan polyps. I have GLUED MY FINGER to fleshy stuff and had to tear it off then scrape bits of coral off of my finger. Miss Shakey Hands over here has done it all and... they've all been fine. Plus, you'll never see the mount when the Duncan is happy.

I've never used the Instant Ocean epoxy but some folks here have had bad things to say about it's strength over time. I think someone said it crumbles easily once cured so take care with the siphon and such. Point is, next time you're shopping for epoxy, I can recommend the Aquastik since it's what's I've used all along.
I honestly cheaped out since it was half the price. I have heard great stuff of aquastik two little fishies makes good stuff. I Grew up living 5 minutes from there office in Opa locka lol

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tanks looking better everyday, Just did a water change and tested all perameters prior.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
No4 0.1
Ph 8.0
Sg 1.026
Temp 77-78

Installed a inkbird this week after having my heater fail it has me paranoid, Would not want it to fail on. Have a small plant light coming in to light the hob breeder box refugium tommorow.

I have never been so nervous as to buying chaeto. I am super paranoid to add any pest into the tank with the introduction of chaeto. ughhh

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tank update video its starting to look how it did again!

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just had my refugium Light come in, Now just need to pick up some chaeto

20190804_114527_HDR.jpg
20190804_114535.jpg

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so ended up picking some chaeto from a local reefer. Took my high power flash light and inspected his reef indepth before getting some **** pest free only amphipods. Fresh water dipped twice for 3 minutes each and picked a small bunch and put into tiny fuge. looks good so far and dipped the extra and put in a pitcher to have some extra just in case with a bubbler and a light.

20190806_173302.jpg
20190806_173313(1).jpg

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ended up finally picking up a salifert alk,ca and mag test kit. Checked them and these are my results.

Dkh - 10.2
Cal - 400 ppm
Mag- 1200 ppm

Going to check after my water change on saturday and monitor to see how much my tank is using in a week.

What do you guys think?

Wild Bill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I would invest in a Red Sea kit for those. Salifert sucks. Just my 2 cents. Lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom