newb question

1. space traveler Initiate Member

:;jaws I'm a newby here,hopefully you don't mind me intruding. :eek:I am planning to start a tank in the future,and was wondering what size would be good for a beginner. Also,what type of fish is hard to kill. I have zero expertise on the subject,but would really enjoy a salt water fish tank sitting in my living room.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!

why would you feel like you are intruding?:;sh

I think we ALL would like to jump into salties...

Hope you get the advice needed! im not brave enough to jump into the saltwater world...but i adore others tanks

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm going to pop in here and let you know YOU'RE NOT INTRUDING! You're a member of this forum and we're glad you're here.:;group

Unfortunately, I know nothing about saltwater, but I'm sure one of our "saltie" members will be along shortly that can help answer your questions.

4. rt12 Member Member

Welcome to Fish Lore! A 30 gallon fish only tank with live rock (FOWLR) and a few inverts. Some hardy fish are clownfish, cardinals, chromis, and gobies. For the most part all of those fish are compatible(Maroon clownfish are more aggresive but other clowns are peaceful). Also I highly recommend that you get some inverts like hermit crabs and shrimp. They do a great clean-up job but require some supplementation of Iodide which is for the most part cheap. Good luck

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

There's no reason a beginner can't start up a reef IMO. There are a lot of corals that are easy to keep as long as you do plenty of research and have the proper equipment. If you aren't comfortable piecing together equipment for your tank, there are lots of all in one setups to choose from (like Biocube, Aquapod, and Nanocube) that include lighting and are easy to set up and maintain for a first timer. You're somewhat limited on what corals you can keep with the PC lighting, but that doesn't mean there aren't still lots of options that can look very nice.

6. space traveler Initiate Member

I was told that a larger tank is more forgiving than a smaller tank,for beginners. Which means I could make mistakes and not be as catastrophic for the fish with a larger tank.

Time wise is kind of a problem though, during the holidays,there's ample time,but things get hectic from time to time. How sensitive are salt water species? I have been surfing the threads,and there's some conflicting info I am trying to sort out, so sensitivity issues would be a good starting point. Does a larger tank make the fish less sensitive,less prone to disease?

I am leaning to ultimately having a few Lion fish, I 1st wanted to do the seahorse thing, but I can't find anything compatible with them and everything is too aggressive,so I 86'd that idea,but I keep returning to the Lion fish. Something about it, just captivates me, so that is probably the direction I am going to go in.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

8. space traveler Initiate Member

I appreciate the link,and is full of info I need,however it doesn't answer the 2 questions for me,which are:

Does a larger tank make the fish less sensitive,less prone to disease?

How sensitive are salt water species?

9. ATP Well Known Member Member

No one can really answer you question honestly. It all depends on the specific species.

10. space traveler Initiate Member

OK, that maybe a little too broad a question.What about the tank size? If a fish is needing a minimum size of 30 gallons,would a larger tank;oh lets go with 55 gallons, would the larger tank be beneficial, or does that too; depend on individual species ?

As I said there seems to be a lot of conflicting info,and I'm trying to weed out some of it.

So, larger tank good/ no good or doesn't matter?

11. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

Larger tanks are more beneficial to any species as most come from the sea and have plenty of room to swim so the bigger the enviroment you can provide for them the better ,, as for your question about disease in bigger tanks it will spread just as quick as a smaller tank , bit like fleas in a small house or in a big house , they will get everywhere,,, it can be less stressful to fish in larger tanks and less aggression as they can each claim there own terrortries ,