Newb Python / Aqueon Water Changer Questions

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by lockedup, Mar 28, 2019.

1. lockedupValued MemberMember

From watching a few videos, I get the basic idea. It seems like a great way to do things without a bucket brigade but I do have 2 questions:

1. I thought you had to condition tap water before adding it. Is the amount of time you are subjecting the fish to tap water not a concern?

2. To get the temp right you have to use hot water (possibly). I was always told to not even cook with hot water because of build up. Is this not a concern?  

Obviously people are using these successfully so maybe I'm just overthinking it but I'd love someone to tell me why these aren't really issues (or how they are overcome).

Thanks!

2. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

hm interesting
    prime detoxifies heavy metals in water
    I just feel the temp of the water coming out of my python and try to get it right
    I keep an eye on my tank thermometer and adjust accordingly from the tap knobs... I thought the temp thing would be a big deal too, but it is not

3. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

1. Assuming you are using Prime, your just dose for the entire tank first and then just start adding your water.
    2. Not a concern. Just set your temperature and start filling it up.

I adjust the temp as the water is dripping into the sink into a small container using an Infrared Thermometer. I adjust as it fills, but I am putting in 30-40 gallons so there is plenty of time to tweak the water temp.

4. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

IMO best, fastest and easiest way to do WC's. Hook to the sink suck out water and degris and poop. bring the siphon back to the sink let some water flow back through it by closing the valve connected to the sink. open the valve at the sink regulate the hot and cold to match your water temp. i always leave the sink valve open a tny bit to not have a fully pressurized 25' hose in my hand walking across the room. add Prime and let it rip till your tank is full to the level you want and your done.