New Zoa

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by KristaD, Aug 6, 2017.

1. KristaD

KristaD Valued Member Member

I couldn't let you have all of the fun so I purchased my first Zoa yesterday! My dottyback is very interested in this new tank mate. 04b96d1641bcd8b2d8256c40fcb9c823.jpg

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Very pretty, I miss my salty nano.

3. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

How's that zoa doing? Has it fully opened for you yet? You got a nice size colony too, congrats. :) I hope that dottyback behaves herself, lol.

4. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Oooo nice colours @KristaD good choice i love the greens !!

5. stella1979

I don't know about you guys, but I'm dyin' to know what that green plant is and what else is going on in @KristaD 's tank.:)

6. OP
    OP
    KristaD

@stella1979 The green plant is a macro algae of some kind. I was a diver and it reminded me of some of the underwater algae at Palancar Reef in Cozumel Mexico where my husband and I went on our honeymoon. I have red macro too. The dottyback is behaving so far but I haven't seen the zoa open all the way yet at home. I'll post a pic of entire tank. Thanks for all the comments on my work in progress!

a2b7476288c40321e59b5a484d605700.jpg

7. stella1979

I used to be a diver too @KristaD !!! Grew up in the FL Keys and spent my teenage years diving in John Pennekamp National Marine Sanctuary. Never really saw leafy algae like that though. It reminds me of mini-kelp, very cool. :D

Some of us are lucky enough for corals to open the day we bring them home, (cough, cough, @NART & @grantm91 ) My first zoas took a few days to fully extend too, however, the zoas I got most recently opened right up. My tank's parameters haven't changed much so I think I can thank the seller of the recent ones for some really strong and healthy frags. My Duncan took about 2 weeks to fully extend! I was worried about it but things turned out fine and it's one of my favorite pieces. Patience is hard, but it pays in this hobby.

8. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

I love the story behind it. All our takes on creating a tank are different and i love seeing them all and hearing stuff like this, it reminds me of sea kelp. I watched a documentary on sea otters it was crazy how big those sea kelps get. Thanks for sharing. The sw forums getting some life into it lately lol. Is the acto thing a protein skimmer?

9. stella1979

I know! It's great! :D

10. OP
    OP
    KristaD

It is a protein skimmer and a hard working one too. I'm getting ready to do a water change so it's running dry. I was looking in the tank this am and I got a surprise, clown eggs! They aren't guarding them and they are white so not fertilized but still fun.

11. OP
    OP
    KristaD

Here's my new fav fish store, rivers and reefs in Omaha, ne. 3 hour one way but worth the trip. Check out these pics! Salt side, then fresh.
    76d473aec6753bfe56e604c52a149403.jpg

2cf9a1f2e392deb21740622c877ec18a.jpg

Attached Files:

12. OP
    OP
    KristaD

I appreciate the support. My anemone and Xenia did great from day one but this guy a little slow. I may move to part of the tank that gets more wave action and/or a little higher up

13. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

You know what I think it is? that my corals open up the same day I bring them home?

I put them next to their family.
    So, my corals that's been there awhile probably talks to them like.... "psst... you better open up soon buddy. The last time I hid for a few days we got the dip treatment. Never again"

@KristaD btw - is your toe pointing at something? ;)

14. Nart

@stella1979 I wish I could dive. I fear the open water ocean too much to do it and also I can't swim... whomp whomp.

15. stella1979

Whhaaaat? I never would have thought that @NART ! I understand though... I'd be scared too if I were brought up differently. I go to the woods and am afraid of bears! Fear played a part in me quitting diving too... had a bad last trip. I was about 40 ft. down, my buddy had wandered off and I lost her, looked around and couldn't see another person, started hyperventilating on tank air, (that's a big no-no), then made my way to the surface and had a hard time finding the boat. Eventually, I did find the boat but ended up with a massive headache and scared to do my second dive on that trip. That was my last dive ever, though I worked in the diving industry for many years afterwards. I would recommend it to any healthy intelligent person... just gotta do it smart and right. The silent world isn't silent at all, just like Chasing Coral says. It really is incredible.

16. OP
    OP
    KristaD

It's pointing out that I need to move the salt tank to on top of a stand so I don't have to sit on the floor to watch!

17. stella1979

I sit on the floor to tank watch too... and it is on a stand! A short one.;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  18. OP
    OP
    KristaD

I agree, it's stunning! I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 10 years ago and was able to continue diving for a while. In the water is "easier" but 60lbs of equipment is tough to carry when climbing into the boat or walking on land. Maybe @NART could snuba? All the views, attached to the boat and maybe less claustrophobic?

19. Nart

@stella1979 yeah - I almost drowned as a kid in a 9' pool. I drank so much pool water... saw my cousin's leg above me and I grabbed a hold of it. My parents decided to not let me go near the pool again instead of making my take swim lessons and facing my fears. So as soon as my toes can't touch the bottom, I'm out haha. Also, the idea of sharks appearing scares the ba-jeezus out of me. I've seen too many of those shark encounters with divers. No thanks. That's their home turf. I'm good on land haha.

20. OP
    OP
    KristaD

I snorkeled 1 time in the sea of Cortez near a place called Cabo Pulmo. Beautiful. We were warned to stay away from the sea lion pups which I was doing (I swear!) This little guy swam up to me and I started swimming backwards. Papa sea lion jumped in from a rock and COMPLETELY displaced me from the water. It was a scary, yet amazing experience.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice