New yellow Panchex killifish! :-)

capekate
New yellow Panchax killifish! PHOTOS

Well.. spent a lot of my Petsmart gift card today..
I went to petsmart to add some rainbows to the 29 gallon tank that was vacant but still cycled.. barely! So thought I needed to add some fish in order to keep the cycle going. My plans for that tank is a breeder tank for either the pair of Discus that seem to be hanging out together or for a rainbow that looks pretty pregnant to me! I will have to do some reading up on that one..
I added four rainbows... and two solid yellow panchex killifish to that tank.
Eventually I will like to move the killifish to the 55 gallon tank, but for now the new fish are using the 29 gallon as a QT for two weeks.
They called the killifish, rainbow panchex. But they are both very solid bright yellow and I doubt they are 'rainbow' panchex. In my book they look like ones called "Chapers Panchax".
So far they are doing great... and when I am able, I will post photos of them.
;D

~ kate

susitna-flower
Sounds like Petsmart has a run on killifish. Did you get 2 males? If they are both bright yellow they are probably Yellow Panchax males. They sound like great fish.

Have you kept killifish before?

capekate
Sounds like Petsmart has a run on killifish. Did you get 2 males? If they are both bright yellow they are probably Yellow Panchax males. They sound like great fish.

Have you kept killifish before?

HI Susitna-flower....
No I havent... but I slept at a ..... lol never mind

Ive read up on the killifish, and found that they do well in my water. These are the only types they had there, and I have been looking at them for awhile. I'm wondering how to tell the gender of them? Like the rainbows, I can tell by the lower fin and I'm wondering if its the same for them? I most likely do have two males, since they are bright yellow tho.

~ kate

TheEssigs
I wish the LFS carried killifish around here. I have been reading up on them and the various types too! Some of them are so interesting, and sound like an interesting fish to try to breed.

I looked online, and not too many places carry them either, and if they do, they are usually quite expensive for a breeding pair... and then top that off with a $30 shipping fee.

Ill keep my eyes open tho, and maybe get lucky.

Good luck with yours!

capekate
Thanks! ;D I hope these two do well... keeping my fingers crossed.
I wish there were more of a variety of them here, since doing research in my new book, I see so many very gorgeous types of killifish that I would loooove to have!

~ kate

TheEssigs
I will have an open 20 gallon soon, as we swap fish to new tanks, and I wanted to breed either marigold painted swords or sunset painted swords, but I would definitely scrap that idea in order to try my hand at killies.

Tom
Congrats on your buy, Golden Wonder killifish are great little fish. From what you have described, that is what they sound like, and you should get more hits with that name too.
Tom

Dino
Golden wonder is how they are listed on most wholesale lists.

capekate
Thanks Tom and Dino ;D .
Golden wonder sounds about right... It may have been on the tag, but when it rung up on the register, the slip said, rainbow killifish, and I knew that wasn't right.
I'm downloading some video to get a few good shots of the killifish and will post them in a few minutes... ;D

HI Theessigs...
I always liked the different types of killies available online. I hope if you choose them for your tank you will be lucky enough to find the varities out there, they all come in different types and colors... Wish I was able to find them around here too.

~ kate

Dino
If anyone is really interested in killi's, you might consider joining the American Killifish Association.

capekate
If anyone is really interested in killi's, you might consider joining the American Killifish Association.
Thanks Dino
I just checked out that site.. WOW what great photos there! ;D

~ kate

Dino
Glad to help out.

Tom
Took some photos off the video...
Here are the golden wonder killifish ;D

~ kate

Those be Golden Wonder Killifish they are. lol
Tom

Sabi
Took some photos off the video...
Here are the golden wonder killifish ;D

~ kate
Wow! Looks cool,Kate! Especially with the lemon-ish/gold color!

capekate
lost a killI yesterday...

I lost one of the killifish yesterday. It never did seem to be right since bringing it home. It pretty much kept to one corner of the top of the tank, with clamped fins. The other killI would at times go and peck at it. So I found it dead. The other one is alone in the tank til I pick up the GBRs today. It seems to be fine swimming good at all levels of the tank.
I am now convinced that I really need to stop buying my fish from chain stores and only use them for supplies, plants food etc etc.

~ kate

Tom
Sorry to hear about your loss. If you know of any local breeders in your area, I think they would be willing to sell some of their fish to you. Or if you have a 'Mom and Pop' pet store in your area, I would personally take my money there instead of a chain store that sells their fish for sometimes a 300% markup compared to the small stores that only sell their fish for just a few dollars more then chain stores and even the small stores will do speacial orders for you while most chain stores won't.
Tom

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
OldFort Exotics
Replies
Views
rachelnrob
Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies