New world cichlid setup?

1. Brokenshadows34 Member Member

I had tried asking this question a while ago, but didn't get much feedback on it. So, I'll try to ask it again under a different title and rephrase it better. I also made some revisions to my possible plan.

My tank is a fully cycled 45 gallon cube-shaped aquarium. It is 24x24x19 inches, so the height is less than the tank is wide and long.

Right now, the tank is a peaceful community with a single angelfish, which is a semi-aggressive species. I also have red eye, black phantom, and Congo tetras with some mollies and a butterfly gold-spot pleco.

Eventually, I would like to have two to four angelfish (leaning towards two), a pair of German blue rams, and a trio of Cockatoo dwarf cichlids, as well as my pleco and school of six or so black phantom tetras as dithers.

I will rehome or trade in the mollies and the other tetras after I build the tank up with caves and plants to my trusted LFS. I realize the differences in water parameters from my current tank to the new setup, but I am soaking a dark piece of driftwood that will lower pH. My water is already pretty soft (groundwater, no chlorine or chemicals) and the pH is right around 7, so even now, it would be acceptable for the cichlids.

I am not going into this blind, I have done a lot (and I mean a LOT) of research.

I wanted to hear your guys' opinions on this. Any experience keeping those fish together? Would the tank be overstocked?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

With that footprint, I think you will have too many cichlids. I have kept all of those, and when they breed, they get territorial and mean. Having a pair of angels, and either the rams, or the cockatoos may work. I would also make sure if you get another angel, ( i would just stick to a single ) its the opposite sex of the one you have. In a tank that is 2' x 2' even same sex may fight. And then if they do breed, they may not like having tetra around. Another thing to think about is if you have the rams or cockatoos breed, the pleco will try and eat the eggs. Same with the angels. That is a lot of potentially breeding cichlids to keep with other fish in a relatively small tank.

3. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

if i were you i wouldnt mix and breed diffrent species in the same tank. they can be come killers when they have fry and will often cause stress to other fish. if you get a pair i suggest even numbers not trios because then they dont group on one fish and kill it.

4. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Cockatoos breed best in a harem. A trio is recommended at minimum.Rams are difficult to breed. They maybe your best bet with a single angel. Having more than one cichlid breeding in the same tank is a big risk.

5. Brokenshadows34 Member Member

Hm. That makes sense. I think I'll drop the cockatoo cichlids. Would some angels and a pair of GBR's with the phantoms and the pleco be alright? I'm not trying to breed for a profit or anything; I don't even have a grow-out tank. I realize the pleco would be a predator on the eggs. But I'd remove the babies once the parents kicked them out, even if they bred and the eggs/fry survived. Would that be over-stocked?

6. fishlee Member Member

Cockatoos get realy aggressive while breeding (female) but if spawn site is at one end of the tank the gbr's will be fine, imo

7. Brokenshadows34 Member Member

I've never kept cockatoos or GBR's before. I'm confused as to what I should do. What would you guys do? I know I definitely want angelfish, preferably more than one, but I can keep the one I have singly if need be.

8. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I would have a single angel, and a pair of GBR. That's the safest bet in my opinion.

9. Brokenshadows34 Member Member

Would four angels, six black phantoms, and the pleco be alright? (I'm still just brainstorming, because I haven't seen GBR's in my main LFS in a long time.)