New wood shrimp!

blushrimp1

Reaction score
20200703_101516.jpg

So, I got this beautiful girl from someone that was keeping her in a daphnia tank that was packed with hornwort. He didn't even know she was in there! The tank was cold, about 68 to 70 degrees with no filtration. Apparently she was surviving on the daphnia. I drip acclimated her for over 4 hours. Today is her second day in my planted blue shrimp tank. She molted yesterday. She came out of hiding today and had been scavenging the bottom, so I know she's hungry. I put in a pellet of shrimp food I feed my blue shrimps, which tends to break up and drift around the tank. I also added some live daphnia from my culture. I cannot see her fans. Should I be able to see them when she's not using them?
This tank has had a high nitrate problem which was solved before I put her in, by adding a submersible filter with NitraZorb in it. The filter will stay, I know they like current. My ph is about 8, kh and gh are within the correct parameters for shrimps. Temp is 76 degrees.
I want her to be happy in her new home and I'm maybe overly worried about getting her fed. Does anyone have any suggestions for me and Erika the shrimp? Thank you!!

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How big is she and can you perhaps get a few more poctures from different angles?

She looks suspiciously like a big old natural type cherry shrimp! Mine look the same but a tad darker a slightly wider stripe.

OP
blushrimp1

blushrimp1

Reaction score
Really!! She's so big... I'll get some more pics up. I noticed she uses her feet like the blue guys do. More pics coming up...

OP
blushrimp1

blushrimp1

Reaction score
20200703_105450.jpg

I'm guessing she's 3/4 of an inch long. Here you can see the stripe down her back.

OP
blushrimp1

blushrimp1

Reaction score
20200703_101440.jpg

There's a saddle though! Yup. Sorry, I couldn't get 2 pics onto the same post.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bamboo shrimp get far larger, she’s definitely a big old brown cherry. Here’s mine, I had to lure them out with food.
71ACBCCA-B228-468B-95E0-99B3042D9E36.jpeg

Be aware that the male blues will breeder with her and create more browns. May want to separate her if you don’t want a tank full of browns in the future.

OP
blushrimp1

blushrimp1

Reaction score
Well, you learn something new every day, right? I had no clue rcs get this big! Now I have to decide if it matters if all my shrimps go brown. She's so awesome, like a female red Hulk! I hate to move her out of her new home.

OP
blushrimp1

blushrimp1

Reaction score
Thanks guys for this learning experience! Erika says thank you too!

New Threads