New window to the world

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well...through a new camera at least. Came by UPS today! I'm super excited, and the battery is charging.

Its a huge chunk of cash, and probably more then most will put on a camera ever but hey...look at the hundreds/thousands i've spent on discus over the years. Hobbies arn't cheap. I wanted to update my camera from a starter DSLR to a more professional model. The new king of the castle is a Canon 5D Mark II. HUGE upgrade over the 300D. I'm hoping to not only get great fish/aquarium pictures out of this, but also break into some landscapes/wildlife photography as well and maybe sell prints down the road or get published with something. AND the 5D Mark II has 1080p video...on a DSLR. Will be fun to play with.

Does Canon even make DSLRs in silver anymore? LOL The first time I looked through the viewfinder of the 5DMKII I pulled back and said WOW before I looked again. Its so much larger then the 300D! Full frame!

Lens on the 5DMKII is the Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. Lens on the 300D is the VERY useful, dependable, and highly recommended by me Canon 100mm Macro f/2.8

5DMKII on left, Canon 300D on the right.
708.jpg

710.jpg

711.jpg

712.jpg

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow! Talk about a super camera! You know we'll need pics from this baby soon
Carol

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks, yeah pics are coming! Took a few with it to play around....no real settings yet just straight out of the box. I'll post them up soon!

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i know that camera, and i'm SO jealous!

And i know how much it costs...
military pays well, huh! (i should know, i'm in the army too)

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats Matt...that's a very nice camera there

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
W.O.W You know that is a high tech camera when you only understand 3 words out of every ten! LOL Congrats Matt!

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bubblynutter said:
i know that camera, and i'm SO jealous!

And i know how much it costs...
military pays well, huh! (i should know, i'm in the army too)
Haha, well enough for now. Been on active duty for a year after a stint in Iraq.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What did you use to take pictures of two cameras? Do you have MCS? (Multiple Camera Syndrome) Have fun with your new toy!

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I took it with a sony cybershot point and shoot. Always good to have a point and shoot for trips, my military trips, and at big events in case you don't have room for your DSLR or you need a backup.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Couple of pics, these are basically without doing anything. Pretty much out of the box, minor adjustments. Flashes are a little bright, but I can hone that in. Focus is great, very happy.

742.jpg

744.jpg

746.jpg

748.jpg

750.jpg

751.jpg

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wait a minute.....was your original post a picture of something you bought to take pictures with? And people make fun of me when I video my fish tank.....

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow, that camera is amazing!
The pictures are so clear, its just like your looking at the fish in real life

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Geez Matt, they're awesome. I wouldn't even know where to start with a camera like that!
Congrats, looking forward to more of your great pictures!

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks.

Check out video mode. This is pretty much same as the pictures, stock everything....no settings messed with, just flipped the video mode on and shot. Be sure to watch in 1080p. It was also done with manual focus, so I was controlling it.

This was taken today btw, so yes...there are eggs on the cone. Got the brine shrimp ready this time too. We'll see what happens.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah for the new camera Slug!

I just want to pull all of those fish out of the tank and give each one a hug. AWESOME!
Thanks for sharing with us Slug. It's greatly appreciated.

Question: The cone in the tank, is it terracotta? If so, where did you find them?
Ken

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Ken. Yes its terracotta. I got those specifically off Ebay. However a Simply Discus member has started her own company to produce these and they are VREY popular. Especially her swirled cone. She makes some really cool looking cones. Full color glazes, the tips glazed with a drip effect, swirled clay, etc.

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=80647

This is her whole section you can look through to see pictures and stuff. https://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=183

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Slug!

Wow, she has some really neat cones!

Ken

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry was just pokin a bit a fun in my OP. After watching the video,which looked like watching a blu ray on my big screen, I am now officially jealous.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
drool
Mind if I ask how much the new camera set you back? I've been looking into getting a dSLR for awhile
Sorry one more drool for the quality of the pics and vid drool

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads