New User here... 30 Gallon Tank

1. Ziabis

Ziabis Well Known Member Member

:;hi2
    I have been back in the game for about 2 years now. over 30 years ago I had a
    2.5, 5, 10, 15, 25 and a 55 gallon long tanks. But I guess things changed
    and it all stopped till now...

I find that what I knew then is nothing now.

I have been reading and asking questions on several different sites, but I keep getting
    conflicting answers.

That makes if very hard for "ME" to learn.

I just reset up my 30g with all live plants.

Rotala Indica
    Java Fern
    Water Wisteria
    Cryptocoryne
    Amazon Sword.
    I have a T8 17watts full spectrum bulb.
    I use 5ml liquid co2 with liquid fertilizer from flourish daily.

I am getting growth. But nothing fantastic and am getting the odd yellowing
    and a brown sedement and a type of fluff on the leaves and a rotting at the base of the Indica and wisteria only
    the 2 on the left side.

Attached Files:

2. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!!

I can't say what might be wrong with your plants, but just wanted to say that your tank's looking good! I especially like the bubble wall :)

What fish are you planning on keeping?

3. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Wow, you use to have quite the collection of tanks, but your tank now looks very nice too. If your indica and wisteria are bunched close together it chokes out a lot of the light to the lower part of the stems, so that may be one problem (and both like as much light as possible). The yellowing may be an iron deficiency, but this may help you https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-plants/12744-deficiency-list-plants.html.

The brown sediment sounds like diatoms from being newly set up, but I could be wrong. If you are able to post pictures of the problems in question, I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

4. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

5. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

I'm under the impression that your lighting might not be bright enough. I believe 2-3 watts/gallon is using CFLs or fluorescents is required. Hope this helps. :)

And welcome back!

6. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

I knew I forgot something.

I have 7 Black Phantoms
    5 Glowlights, that's it.

My 1 huge mistake was... I had to move to a new place and I still had my 1 black phantom nothing else. Did not know how long I could safely keep him alive. I have had him now 2 years and didnt want to lose him. So when I moved I had got everything I needed to newly setup the tank.
    Plants, substrate, new circulation pump and bulb...

So my mistake was, NOT knowing the amount of time I had to setup the tank before "Shadow"
    would pass. Yes I know hes just a fish, but I don't like anything to die. SO, I did not know how long
    I really had to set the tank up properly and never separated the plant stems before planting. HUGE mistake...
    Question can I after planting for over a month, still seperate the indica rotala?

P.S. No I did not have any other tank...

7. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

I agree, but I cannot afford to buy a whole new light fixture and bulbs.
    What is CFL?

8. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, you should be able to pull up (GENTLY) and separate those stems. It's a fragile plant if I recall correctly but a lot of plant keepers have to take up and separate their groups from time to time.

I notice my plants do fine with a zoo med trichromatic super daylight bulb. If you can find one that fits your fixture I would get that, personally. I think they're mostly if not all T8s so you shouldn't have too much trouble. Try amazon.com.

9. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

It seems that 24 inch bulbs only come in 17 watts..
    I may need to get a dual bulb setup, but I cant afford to get a
    new setup yet...

10. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

My MTS regularly uproot my rotala indica, it's doing awesome. I do think your light is probably too low for it though.

11. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Yes I agree. But
    It seems that 24 inch bulbs only come in 17 watts..
    I may need to get a dual bulb setup, but I cant afford to get a
    new setup yet...

12. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like you're using a a t8 light. Check out t5 fixtures. You'll get much more light output from a t5 fixture. What kind of photo period do you have?

13. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

As for photo period, I gather you mean hours of use? I am still a beginner and not familiar with all of these terms. I have been told to use about 8-10 hours.
    You know what.... I think I am just going to say and spend the money.. I am on a very strict budget but I think I should do it...

I need to know what is the BEST (within reason budget) bulbs. I will get a whole new light fixture set...

14. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

A new fixture would be best. those stock aquarium t8 fixtures aren't very good for growing most plants. As for bulbs, 6500k-10000k is ideal.

15. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Don't worry! I've been on fishlore for a few years now, and I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about!

16. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

LOL. And yes, photo = light, period = interval of time. How long it's on.