New Used Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Franny & Gary, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Franny & Gary

Franny & GaryNew MemberMember

l bought a used 50 gallon tank it was still up and running they said it’s been running for about a year with no fish. The fish died about a year ago from ick my question is the ick still alive ? The tank came with everything I think I washed it pretty good with hot water and vinager would appreciate any feedback thanks Fran

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

i always wash everything with hot water when i buy fish stuff from others. The ick cant live without a fish to feed it. But you washed it anyway so its gone

3. OP
    OP
    Franny & Gary

Thank you going to start setting it up now :)

4. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Ich cannot survive without a host, this is why it takes two weeks for most meds to work on them as they work through their lifecycle (the cysts on the fish are unaffected, it is the free swimming part of the life cycle of ich that is targeted by the meds and heat speeds up the life cycle).
    Clean it out and up then set it up and do a fishless cycle (unless you are impatient then get some bacteria to help establish a cycle with fish).

5. OP
    OP
    Franny & Gary

Thank you for the detailed info I learn something new everyday I’ve come along way since joining this forum I really appreciate you and the other very knowledgeable people on here. My tank is set up and goingI am doing a fish less cycle just feeding the tank fish food everyday like I did with my first a little patience and worked out great thanks again

6. jack22Valued MemberMember

I've restarted a tank after long storage by washing it with a 1:10 bleach:water solution.

7. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Ive only done that once, but i dont like the way it makes me feel about useing bleach even though i rinsed it out with hot water at least 12 times

8. jack22Valued MemberMember

Well, it does do a good job of disinfecting the tank. Bleach also doesn't leave residue; it breaks down into salt, water, and O2.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice