New Upgrade Tank

Jin429

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I upgraded my 40 gallon tank to a 60 gallon and i took most of the stuff from my old tank and added to my new one and now i am going through mini cycle so my question is what should I do when my tank has ammonia at 1ppm and nitrate at 10 and 0 nitrite. My ph is 6.5 with the api master test kit. Do i have to do water change every day?

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Did you move all your filter media from the old tank to the new one. As most the bacteria you need live in the filter this is the quickest way to seed a new tank. If you have done this then I would do a water change every couple of days and add more bacteria after each one. Keep an eye on test results and if ammonia gets too high change more water. Your tank may be slow to cycle because of your low pH however this will also help detoxify the ammonia making it safer for the fish so I probably wouldn't try to raise it until the tank is cycled.

Jin429

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks i will do that. I also changed from hob to a canister filter so maybe that was aslo the caused of this.

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Changing filters is fine but you should fill the new filter with the old media.if you want to add new media as well that's fine but wait until it is cycled before replacing any of the old media with new. When you do change media only change half then wait 2 weeks before changing the other half. I hope it's all good from here for you.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jin429 said:
I upgraded my 40 gallon tank to a 60 gallon and i took most of the stuff from my old tank and added to my new one and now i am going through mini cycle so my question is what should I do when my tank has ammonia at 1ppm and nitrate at 10 and 0 nitrite. My ph is 6.5 with the api master test kit. Do i have to do water change every day?
Hello
I just did the same thing August 5th. I was worried about the fish, kinda sensitive. From 20 to 46 gallon. I used same bio media & changed carbon & filter pads in my canister filter. I used some of the old tanks sand after I cleaned it, and I have seachem ammonia alert that stinks inside tank. I haven’t had any mini cycles or ammonia spikes, but I used bottle of TSS, tetra startzyme tabs & aquasafe plus. All fish been ok. Wc as normal.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom