New Update With Pic. What A Difference!❤ Quick! I Just Brought Home A Dying Betta. Any Rescue Ideas?

MujiB

Hey Betta lovers, I was just in my local store for some plants and saw this little guy keep turning to its side in his little store bowl. I mentioned it to the guy there and he gave him immediately some clean water and said unfortunately they didnt have the time, space, or staff to take care of him.
So I brought him home.

I divided my boy's already medicated with Sulfaplex 5 gallon and placed him in a breeder box cause he keeps sinking sideways and I think he has hard time swimming up for air.
He is breathing hard. I placed some silk plant leaves so he is comfy.

He is breathing really hard!
The tank has filtration, no heater but cause the temp is at 79.4 without it. (I have a heater if you suggest I raise the temp)
The tank already has Sulfaplex. Any advice?
20180601_183649.jpg 20180601_183541.jpg 20180601_183620.jpg 20180601_183704.jpg

Reeferxbetta

Let me just make sure I have this right, you divided a tank that currently has a betta and placed the sick one in there? If so, I'd immediately remove the sick betta and place him in a different tank (can be anything, spare tank, container, whatever you have that's around a gallon or two as a temporary "quarantine") you don't know if this guy is contagious, and you won't want to spread anything to your other fish (I've done it on mistake with cleaning supplies… not fun). Sulfaplex treats bacteria/fungal, right? I'm not super familiar with medications as I rarely use them, but I have gotten a few bettas that look similar to yours, I'm on mobile so I can't get a super good look at the photos right now, but typically when I've done this, if the situation doesn't seem extremely dire, I just start with a proper, clean environment and take it from there. Any other symptoms with this guy?

MujiB

Reeferxbetta said:
Let me just make sure I have this right, you divided a tank that currently has a betta and placed the sick one in there? If so, I'd immediately remove the sick betta and place him in a different tank (can be anything, spare tank, container, whatever you have that's around a gallon or two as a temporary "quarantine") you don't know if this guy is contagious, and you won't want to spread anything to your other fish (I've done it on mistake with cleaning supplies… not fun). Sulfaplex treats bacteria/fungal, right? I'm not super familiar with medications as I rarely use them, but I have gotten a few bettas that look similar to yours, I'm on mobile so I can't get a super good look at the photos right now, but typically when I've done this, if the situation doesn't seem extremely dire, I just start with a proper, clean environment and take it from there. Any other symptoms with this guy?
Correct. Although technically speaking my fish that I already have in the 5 gallon is there cause he wasn't doing well. I just got him last week and he was doing poorly. Now he is doing better but this is why he is in medicated tank. I thought they can both be at the hospital together.
Sulfaplex is a broad spectrum antibiotic and anti-fungal medication that treats most of bacterial, fungal, and protozoan infestations. Basically all he does is just move his side fins and breaths very hard, turns sideways, curves and just stays like that every now and then if he is at the bottom, I slightly raise the breeder box
So he takes some air and then he stays up a little.

Buganjimo

Put him in a quarantine, immediately. Cause he is so sick, he may have dropsy (I know dropsy is a sign of another underlying illness but you know what I mean). Since you don’t know what he has, its risky to put him with another fish. Please, quarantine the newer, sicker betta.

puffer boi

uncyled?

MujiB

puffer boi said:
All cycled

20180601_211146.jpg 20180601_211411.jpg Alright. Very solid advice everyone! So now he is in a 1 gallon on his own. Still in the breeder box. Water temp is 80. This 1 gallon also has sulfaplex in it.

The test shows his 1 gallon:
Ph. 6.6
Hr. Ph. 7.4
Ammonia 0
No2 0
No3 0

He actually stopped turning sideways! He is still not swimming around and he is breathing hard but at least he stopped sinking sideways. Strange thing I noticed is his mouth. His lips seem really swollen but then again I've never seen this little guy when he was healthy so I can't really compare. Do you all think I should remove the breeder box or let him sleep there tonight. It's tiny but where is he gonna go anyways the way he is.

Thank you so much for all your advice!!

This is an earlier picture. This is what I meant by swollen lips Screenshot_20180602-012109.jpg Screenshot_20180602-012109.jpg

midna

the lips look kind of like a deformity? reminds me of my old water turtle whose beak got deformed and would no longer close because I didnt know they needed uv light if he makes it, this may make feeding difficult. can he close his mouth all the way?

and man, the poor guy looks really awful. I hope he recovers!!! I think there's a recent thread of someone saving a betta in rough shape and they kept him in extremely shallow water, slowly adding a bit every few days as he got better. maybe that would help? idk Help!!!! Betta Rescue!

MujiB

HI midnathat link was helpful thank you !
I guess I could have added water slowly. Hehe didnt think of it so I used the breeder box.
This morning when I came in he bumped around in it so I let him go in the 1 gallon. He has leaves to rest on and he is using it. His mouth does look very weird. I don't think he can close it all the way. I don't see it possible the way it is. I don't think he is all better yet but he is certainly improved since yesterday.
Look at this close up pic from this morning. I think when people warn women about lip injections and say "you'll look like a fish" they mean this little guy

20180602_081204.jpg 20180602_081139.jpg 20180602_080842.jpg

Reeferxbetta

The swollen lips are weird… I suppose if it is a deformity and he's made it for this long (assuming it's a deformity he was born with) I see no reason why it would become a problem now. Have you tried any feeding yet? He likely won't be too interested in food, but if he is that's definitely a good sign, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure that he is indeed able to eat. For the breeder box, I don't see any problems with using it to help him stay near the surface, as long as he doesn't seem stressed in it, but plants near the surface and lowering water level can be helpful as well. For now, I think keeping him comfortable and using the medication is your best bet, unless he's showing clear signs of a specific illness.

Also, if both fish are showing signs of illness, I'd recommend sanitizing any equipment that's used between the two tanks (siphon, gravel vac, etc.) this is just to avoid exchanging whatever they have.

MujiB

Reeferxbetta said:
The swollen lips are weird… I suppose if it is a deformity and he's made it for this long (assuming it's a deformity he was born with) I see no reason why it would become a problem now. Have you tried any feeding yet? He likely won't be too interested in food, but if he is that's definitely a good sign, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure that he is indeed able to eat. For the breeder box, I don't see any problems with using it to help him stay near the surface, as long as he doesn't seem stressed in it, but plants near the surface and lowering water level can be helpful as well. For now, I think keeping him comfortable and using the medication is your best bet, unless he's showing clear signs of a specific illness.

Also, if both fish are showing signs of illness, I'd recommend sanitizing any equipment that's used between the two tanks (siphon, gravel vac, etc.) this is just to avoid exchanging whatever they hav7e.
Hi! I had to take him out of the breeder box cause he began to bang against it. I didnt want him to bump his mouth more.
He has plant, a heater and a betta hammock and he is using all of them. I gave him some peas but he showed no interest. I don't think he has swim bladder since he isn't swollen and he stopped going sideways. So I tried pellets and frozen blood worms and he ate his worms very well. He has been mostly staying close to the surface but occasionally goes down to look for more food. Overall a huge Improvement since yesterday. I've noticed aside from his lips that something might be wrong with his fins. When he swims or evem when he flares his fins do not open up. I don't see a visible damage but it's almost as if it's all stuck together. I don't know about fish enough to know what type of a symptoms this is. I absolutely shouldn't have put him in the tank with my other fish but I guess as time goes by I'll know more as to what's wrong with him. so far I'll be keeping a close eye on mine too. How do I sanitize the tools?

Reeferxbetta

Good to hear! Eating is always good. I'm not sure about the fins, the only thing that comes to mind when I envision fins that are clumped/stuck together is fin rot, do his fins looks discolored on the edges at all? For sanitizing you can buy special "fish safe" sanitizers, but I personally question the effectiveness of those things, so I use a mild bleach solution for real sanitizing and a vinegar/water solution for cleaning water stains and when exchanging equipment and decor between two healthy fish, just be sure any supplies that have been cleaned with bleach or vinegar are rinsed very thoroughly. I usually rinse, soak in tap water, rinse again, and allow them to air dry, that's probably a little bit excessive, but I like to be safe.

Iverg1

When you say fins clamped together I picture fin melt and judging from pictures I think he has it

MujiB

Reeferxbetta said:
Good to hear! Eating is always good. I'm not sure about the fins, the only thing that comes to mind when I envision fins that are clumped/stuck together is fin rot, do his fins looks discolored on the edges at all? For sanitizing you can buy special "fish safe" sanitizers, but I personally question the effectiveness of those things, so I use a mild bleach solution for real sanitizing and a vinegar/water solution for cleaning water stains and when exchanging equipment and decor between two healthy fish, just be sure any supplies that have been cleaned with bleach or vinegar are rinsed very thoroughly. I usually rinse, soak in tap water, rinse again, and allow them to air dry, that's probably a little bit excessive, but I like to be safe.
He is eating those frozen worms like a champ which gives me hope! I don't see discoloration but I think Iverg1 is right. I googled and it does look like fin melt!

As far as the disinfecting goes, I don't know if anyone here uses it on supplies but hydrogen peroxide is a safe one as well. It just needs to sit longer than bleach. I've used it with baby toys etc (just make sure to keep it in its dark bottle)

Yesss I googled it and it looks just like a fin melt! Thank you!

Do you know if I can add paraguard while using sulfaplex?

Iverg1

MujiB said:
Yesss I googled it and it looks just like a fin melt! Thank you!
Your welcome

MujiB

Thank you everyone who took the time to help this little boy out. He is doing really well!!!
He eats his worms, his fins began to unclamp and work again, and he finally flared for the first time today.
His mouth is funky but doesn't stop him from eating, and something about the shape of him looks off to me, like he had an accident or he was born with some issues but I don't know. Doesn't seem to hinder him in anyway.

Whenever I walk into the room he comes to the side and begin to watch me instead of hiding so I think he is finally coming around both physically and mentally.

I don't know what type of Betta he is. Any ideas? (His tail separates in the middle. A double tail?)

Thank you to everyone who helped save him ❤❤❤❤❤
He was gonna die and look at him now!!
Ps. Sorry about the quality of pics. His curved, plastic hospital tank makes bad pics
Screenshot_20180606-140005.jpg 20180606_135611.png 20180606_135658.png Screenshot_20180606-135144.jpg Screenshot_20180606-135412.jpg

IHaveADogToo

He's either a halfmoon or a split tail I think. Once he heals up it will be easier to tell. I just can't tell if the split in his tail is genetic or if its damage at this point. He is looking better though. Keep doing what you're doing.

wolfdog01

Probably a delta or halfmoon. I don't think that split is supposed to be there, usually double tails are more noticible.

Aquilist

He's gorgeous! Talk about a glow up!

Dch48

What a difference! The bloodworms probably had a lot to do with his improvement. They are actually insect larvae which is the natural food of Bettas.
Really good job of saving him. From the first pictures I didn't give him much of a chance. He looks good now.

MujiB

Dch48 said:
What a difference! The bloodworms probably had a lot to do with his improvement. They are actually insect larvae which is the natural food of Bettas.
Really good job of saving him. From the first pictures I didn't give him much of a chance. He looks good now.
Thank you!! Honestly I'm even surprised that he survived that first hour. I didnt do it alone though. All the people who took the time to help gave this little fighter a chance Now is the fun part.. discovering what he is and his colors

Aquilist said:
He's gorgeous! Talk about a glow up!
I agree! Now that he isn't dying (hopefully) we get to see what his fins and his color actually look like

Dch48

I would say he is a nice Delta tail fish. Maybe even a Halfmoon.

Iverg1

Good to see he worked off that fin melt!!!! Have you choose a name yet?

MujiB

Remember this little boy I rescued back in June? He is full of spunk. Loves to jump to my fingers while feeding. Loves chasing bubbles and sleeping in a glass. He is the most active and playful betta I have. Who would have thought he would live and turn out so amazing. IMG_20180810_155342_759.jpg

MujiB

Screenshot_20180810-162656_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20180810-162628_Video Player.jpg

Coradee

Wow he looks like a totally different fish, well done on giving him such great care

Dch48

Great job

IHaveADogToo

He's beautiful!

We were all wrong about his type. He looks like a feather tail, dumbo ear, dragon scale to me, now that he's healed up.

Top Bottom