New unexpected Bronze Cory Eggs, need a little guidance.

Mar1111

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
6 days ago I bought 4 pairs of fancy guppies, and separated males from females. The females were all slightly pregnant, or so I thought; the next day, I had 7 guppy fry and I have floating plants and moss they can hide in. The 4 adult females don't bother them, happily. This tank was already home to 10 small cherry shrimp that are now at least half grown. I put 2 bronze cories (I did suspect from their sizes I had a male/female) in with the guppies from my large tank to help with cleanup. Today I'm finding white eggs laid in just the past few hours - I have white gravel but only see less than 20 eggs laid in the java moss so far. I'd love to have more cories so I'd love these to survive. I have another new empty 10 gallon tank with accessories I can set up quickly using water from my 40 gallon and the extra sponge filter I've placed in there. I can move the adult guppies and either put the cories back into a larger tank or with them. Okay, so there go the larger fish that could eat the cory fry. I expect no trouble from 1 week old guppies, BUT will the cherry shrimp eat the cory fry? They let the guppy fry alone but I have no idea what size the cories will be after hatching. I don't want a lot of cories, if I get 5-10 from these, I'll be happy enough.

While I'm writing, doing some thinking - I expect if I put the cories in the new tank with the guppies, they'll lay more eggs, so I'm thinking I'll put them back in the larger tank. Perhaps in the future if this works out, I'll try a pair of another breed of cory. I have 4 other kinds in 2 tanks. I just never see eggs but I'm sure they or the other fish just eat them.

So I guess my biggest question is, will cherry shrimp eat the new fry? Changes in my aquariums usually happen slowly, but the last 5 days have been bringing some quick changes! I also change out 3 or 4 gallons of water every other day in the 10 gallon - will I be able to see baby cories and avoid sucking them up? I know, I better go watch YouTube and maybe I'll understand their size!

Phryigian

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So to answer it quickly; what worked for me is separating the cory eggs into a seperate tank from any other fish, hatching them, raising them to about half an inch and then reintroducing them into the tank with the parents. This was done to prevent the parents from eating the eggs because they do that. I hope this was helpful!

Phryigian

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Also, I'd be more worried about the parents eating the fry or out-competing them for food causing them to starve and die rather than the shrimp harming them. Shrimp are clumsy swimmers and give up rather quickly in terms of hunting for food and prefer to graze in place for prolonged periods of time.

OP
M

Mar1111

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Phryigian said:
Also, I'd be more worried about the parents eating the fry or out-competing them for food causing them to starve and die rather than the shrimp harming them. Shrimp are clumsy swimmers and give up rather quickly in terms of hunting for food and prefer to graze in place for prolonged periods of time.
Thank you - I should've deleted this because by the next morning they were all gone. The parents are super cleaners. I've just never seen eggs in my large tank before, but there are over 30 fish so I wouldn't expect to. I got all excited! There weren't more than 20 total, I hoped they'd lay more by morning. I could've scraped some off the wall of the tank- lesson learned - be quick next time!

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mar1111 said:
be quick next time!
If you want to hatch cory eggs, the main thing is like you said is to be quick, hatching them is not hard. Anytime I want/need extra cory's I do a water change after about ten days after they laid by lowering the temp. of the water I use by only a couple of dig. and normally they will lay in a day or two. I than take the eggs put them in a small butter bowle [what I have] with tank water in it and float it in the same tank, to keep it from floating around tie a piece of string to it,
i use a turkey baster to remove the old water sometimes 3-5 times a day and you should see them start to hatch in a few days

Phryigian

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mar1111 said:
Thank you - I should've deleted this because by the next morning they were all gone. The parents are super cleaners. I've just never seen eggs in my large tank before, but there are over 30 fish so I wouldn't expect to. I got all excited! There weren't more than 20 total, I hoped they'd lay more by morning. I could've scraped some off the wall of the tank- lesson learned - be quick next time!

Phryigian

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry to hear that! Yea Cory's have no problem eating their own eggs and fry. If you really want to spawn corys and try to raise them but don't have time to make live baby brine like me, high flow, frozen foods, especially bloodworms paired with high quality dry foods, stable water parameters and doing 2-3 20-30% water changes a week will cause the Cory's to want to mate and spawn. This mimics a storm cycle in their natural habitat and they spawn in the wild naturally under those circumstances. If you have any further questions about Cory's I'd be happy to answer.

OP
M

Mar1111

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Phryigian said:
Sorry to hear that! Yea Cory's have no problem eating their own eggs and fry. If you really want to spawn corys and try to raise them but don't have time to make live baby brine like me, high flow, frozen foods, especially bloodworms paired with high quality dry foods, stable water parameters and doing 2-3 20-30% water changes a week will cause the Cory's to want to mate and spawn. This mimics a storm cycle in their natural habitat and they spawn in the wild naturally under those circumstances. If you have any further questions about Cory's I'd be happy to answer.
Thank you! I'm changing 3-4 gallons of water every other day in that tank right now because of guppy frys - I know I overfeed them, hence the reason I have the corys in there, but I want to be sure the water doesn't go bad. I have 3 more females who will deliver soon. I can't believe what a bioload I suck up right now as it is! I think the water I added one day must've been cooler than normal, maybe that set them off. I was thinking they were bronze but they're peppered and so pretty. The bronze are still in the larger tank with albinos (mixed m/f) and seem to be a pair. I have 4 Juliis (or is it Jiliis?) in a 20 gallon tank but they seem to be all the same sex. Someday when I get my guppies all organized, I'd like to try and breed a few cory cats. I just don't want crazy numbers of them!

I have 10 cherry shrimp in this tank and they've grown well, I'm about ready to move the 5 largest over to my 40 gallon.

I appreciate your help!

OP
M

Mar1111

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yukondog said:
If you want to hatch cory eggs, the main thing is like you said is to be quick, hatching them is not hard. Anytime I want/need extra cory's I do a water change after about ten days after they laid by lowering the temp. of the water I use by only a couple of dig. and normally they will lay in a day or two. I than take the eggs put them in a small butter bowle [what I have] with tank water in it and float it in the same tank, to keep it from floating around tie a piece of string to it,
i use a turkey baster to remove the old water sometimes 3-5 times a day and you should see them start to hatch in a few days

Thank you! That way I could control how many I get, too. I'd try for maybe 10, maybe all wouldn't make it. One of these days I'm going to try, I appreciate the help I get here!

New Threads