New Uncycled Tank And Old Unfiltered Tank. Question

1. c

camste Valued Member Member

I could use some advice. I bought a new tank (300 liters/about 80g) which I set up a bit more than a month ago. The cycle is still not completely finished (had a stall in between), but 1ppm ammonia is converted every day, my nitrites are at a stable 0.25. It went up to about 1, went down to where it is now, but doesn't go up, doesn't go down for quite some time now even if ammonia is converted. Nitrates are rising. I guess then that some of the nitrites must be converted, but not enough to handle all of it. PH is 7.5.

My old tank (60 liters) has a broken filter, but I've kept my little (unidentified) tetra in there together with my rabbit snail while waiting for the cycle to finish in my big tank. The thing is that I'm moving. I set up the new tank in my new house, but the old tank is in my old house. I didn't move it since i figured I would move only the fish and toss the tank. I go there to feed and change the water every now and then, along with monitoring and testing how everything is going. It's been fine so far, but I don't want to keep them in there for too long. This weekend I have to get my remaining stuff out of there though, so that the buyer can move in. Should I even bother setting up the old tank (which doesn't even have a working filter) in my new place, or do I make a water change in the new tank, and then finish the cycle fish in? Add a few more tetras with the fish and the snail and let them do the rest of the work while I monitor it? Perhaps pouring in some tss at the same time? It seems I'm close to the end, so just adding a few fish might be a tiny enough bioload for the bacteria which are already there to handle it? And it's a big tank, so anything generated by just a few tetras should be quite diluted, right? And in that case, how many do I add? I guess it would have to be enough of them to keep it going, but not so many that everything goes completely wrong. My thought at this point is a school of head and tail light tetras :) I haven't been able to find the same species as my unidentified tetra anywhere in the city where I live, and the shop where I bought them don't sell them anymore. It looks sort of like a head and tail light tetra with the dot at the base of the tail, but without the "lights" and red eyes.

And before anyone suggests it :) Prime is not really an option for me. I can't see it being sold anywhere in Norway. I'm using Aqua Safe to get rid of the chlorine.

2. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

If I found myself in your situation this is what I would do.

3. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I think your plan sounds good given your situation. The bioload of just the few tetras may be less than 1.0 ammonia anyway in such a big tank. TSS works well, but may not be necessary for your tank since you are so closed to cycled.

4. OP
    OP
    c

Thank you guys :) This is how I will proceed then. Just a few tetras, and patience and testing before anything else goes in :)

5. OP
    OP
    c

Just an update in case anyone faces a similar problem. I got 7 head and tail light tetras (asked for 6 but an extra one snuck in), and added them together with my old tetra and the snail. To my surprise and joy the old tetra is even schooling with them :) Several days in now, and the parameters have been fine. 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites :) I feed every other day to try to make sure there's not too much load now in the beginning. I'll wait another week to make sure everything's ok before I go get something more :)

6. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Hooray! Thanks for the update.

7. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

I am so happy to hear that all is going well. Thank you for letting us know. :)