New trying to stock new tank w/ goldfish & plecco

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by grelsner96, Jul 5, 2015.

1. grelsner96New MemberMember

I crrently have had a tank for about a year or more. We won two goldfish at the fair and wanted to get them out of their environment, so my ex-girlfried and I took home two. I knowing nothing of stocking, just got a filter, some water additives, gravel, etc and made a tank and so far it's had only one issue. Well, I am going to start my 90 gallon tank this week, and want to learn alot before I start. One: I have a goldfish and a common plecco right now. I don't want to kill or lose them so I am wondering what else I can put in WITH THEM to spice it up. Also, what are the most important pieces of stocking? I have the tank, the filter, the lights, so there is no changing those in the near future ($$$ issues). It's 90 gallons with C360 filter and two long tube light I think they are fluorescent. I want to know what type of fish can coexist and does the type/color of gravel matter?

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

The pleco will get too big, and so will the common goldfish, despite it being a "big" tank.

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

How do we know the goldie is common?

4. Anders247

It's mentioned that they got them from a fair, and they don't give away fancy goldies there.....they are too expensive for them to buy in large numbers.

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Ah...... okay, thanks! :)

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Also, the Marineland C360 is not nearly enough filtration for a 90 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

The goldfish and plec can't coexist. Common plecs are tropical, goldfish are best in cold water.

:)

8. Anders247

Oh yes, that too. Also, plecos are known to suck on goldfish.

9. wisecrackerz

wisecrackerzWell Known MemberMember

This isn't going to make me popular, but I've "successfully" (they all survived, and were pretty healthy for about 3 years) kept a plec (a sailfin, which is about half the size of a common, but at 18" is still large) and comets (another name for the common goldfish body morph) together. They can both tolerate ~72F, and you usually won't get slime-sucking behavior from a plec with a balanced diet.

That said, this was a SERIOUSLY labor intensive (and $ sucking) set up. I had 700gph in canister filtration. I did huge water changes 2x a week (which, on a tank the size of a bath tub, is NOT fun) and I STILL had serious nitrogen problems pretty much all the time.

Between the plec and my goldies (both love algae and will eat the out of it until the cows come home), I couldn't grow algae in that tank to save my life. Which was ok, because they also ate every snail I threw in that tank, so I wouldn't have had a cleaning crew otherwise. Lots and LOTS of fresh veggies, algae wafers, and algae sheets. Also, if hungry/bored enough, they'll both eat the plants that most species won't (java fern and anubias). Also, marimo moss balls are a favorite snack of both.

Why would a total lack of any plant life be a problem? Because 72F is really higher than ideal for a goldfish. This is important because they are a high O2 fish (many cold/temperate water species are, but goldies are more so than most). In warmer water, the solubility of O2 goes down, which basically means you have to be adding lots and lots of O2, because it leaves the water relatively quickly. With no plants putting O2 back in the water, I had to keep both filter outlets above the water, tearing up the surface tension as much as possible. This was a mess, and loud as heck, and lots and lots of evaporation.

This set up worked in a 75 until my goldfish hit sexual maturity. They got seriously aggressive, so much so that they were injuring one another, and themselves. Also, idk if you've ever heard an 8" female goldfish smash another fish against the side of the tank, but I was genuinely afraid they were going to shatter the thing. I had to rehome all the survivors (the larger female actually ended up killing one of the males) to a pond, and the plec went with the tank to a new owner who wanted a tropical setup of small schoolers (a much better fit for a large grouchy plec).

What I'm saying is that if you need help, I'll offer what advice I can, rather than just saying "no you cannot do this", because sometimes rehoming just isn't an available option, and I'm not going to tell you to euth your fish because you can't give them the best home right this second. But keep in mind that it won't work for very long, and it is going to be HARD, and MESSY, and EXPENSIVE!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice