New Tropical Fish Setup?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Thetropical490, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Thetropical490

Thetropical490 New Member Member

So I've been taking care of gold fish for around 2 years/ 2 generations and think I am ready to redo my settup and get tropical fish. Tetras (neon) seem like a nice intro to tropical fish, and I was also going to mix them with guppies and maybe mollies. Also I DO plan on planting the aquarium. The reason I am redoing the aquarium is that it is an old salt water tank that was free from my dad's friend and gold fish make that annoying oil that I am worried that it may harm tropical fish.. The gold fish have been fine in it but I think it would be good to replace it. Good plan?

I'm planning on getting guppies and neon tetras after my last gold fish "goes". I plan on redoing the entire aquarium as it may harm tropical fish because of the gold fish oils and that it is really old and was originally a salt water tank. I already have a plan for basic stuff like planting live stuff for them and simple needs. (Heater, filter, sand, etc). Any tips? I plan to keep the old setup for when they breed as I think free fish would be great.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Please don't mix tetras and livebearers. The former prefer (and in some cases, absolutely require soft, acidic water) while the livebearers do better in hard, alkaline water (some require added salt). Check with your local municipal water source on your water hardness, and that can help you choose a fish that will be happier in what you have, and you'll avoid a lot of unnecessary stress. Also, choose mollies or guppies in order to avoid hybridizing. Depending on the size of the tank, you could do mollies and swordtails or guppies and platies, say, to avoid hybridizing. I myself adore livebearers. They're short-lived generally, but their high reproduction rate makes up for that. If you want to avoid lots of fry, you could do all males, but be aware that they might harass each other a lot.

3. OP
    OP
    Thetropical490

4. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

5. OP
    OP
    Thetropical490

So I'll be researching mollies then.

6. Ziggythecat

Ziggythecat Valued Member Member

From my experience the male swordtails tent to bully a bit, I even had some destroy another’s fins. If you’re going in that direction. And if you don’t want a bunch of babies you could always just let them be in the aquarium, the adults usually eat them, and if they don’t, then free fish!!

7. OP
    OP
    Thetropical490

W well after only 5 minutes of research I have found that guppies can cross breed mollies. GREAT!(sarcastic) I'll probably still get both. Just need to get more to prevent cross breeding a bit.

8. CosmicDodo42

CosmicDodo42 Valued Member Member

I think that honestly, this will be a hard feat the pull off, seeing as this tank has already been a Saltwater, and coldwater aquarium, though it’s not impossible. Guppies tend to like a little bit of salt, so no problem there, and I think for a heater, the best is the Ehim Jager(I have one of these) though it really boils down to what size tank you have. Tetras and guppies don’t really need any special substrate, though if you plan on breeding them, you will need to separate the fry into their own tank, as guppies are cannibalistic, and Tetras will probaly also eat fry. You should try to get a filter that is one size high then recommended, especially since those fish like a strong current. What is your tank size, and what fish do you plan on stocking in there?

9. OP
    OP
    Thetropical490

Thanks. I've dropped the tetras idea. Also that I'm replacing it no matter what.

Should I get a kit or buy it separately?

So should I get a kit? It's going to be a 20 gallon long and I think I should buy it separately but do you know any good kits to save some money?

10. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged, please only create one thread per topic.

11. OP
    OP
    Thetropical490

I'll be getting a 20 gallon long and have around 6-10 guppies and 6-8 mollies. I am no longer interested in the trailer as I've been told by @endlercollector that it's a bad idea.

sorry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice