New to this...

leopardchic

Reaction score
I just started my first little aquarium and opted for an easy fish (zebra danio) but my father, who used to work in a pet shop, is insisting that once the nitrogen levels settle that I should add some sort of catfish (to clean up the bottom) and a few white clouds. I also have two snails in the tank and I want to know if anyone has had experience with this combination of fish and how it worked out for you. Also, can anyone suggest an affordable (and easy to find) species of catfish that will stay small (10 gallon tank) and get along with my zebras and white clouds. Thanks so much guys!

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have zebras and would recommend otos (otocinclus catfish) as they are awesome little fish, stay small, and do wonders on the algae! Plus, they are peaceful and get along with the danios well (but otos are social and prefer to be in pairs). But I don't know how they would work with the snails as I've never dealt with snails before. How many danios & white clouds do you have? You also want to ensure you don't overstock your tank. (I have a 10 gal, too, and my 6 danios put me at max capacity!)

If you do decide to go the oto route, research them first by reading their species-specific thread on this forum, and go to www.otocinclus.com for more info.

Good luck!
Sharon

leopardchic

Reaction score
I have four Zebra Danios now and hope to get 4 White Clouds and the tank looks so lonely right now... I just don't want to spike the nitrate (or nitrite, I'm not too sure which comes first) content with too much biological activity. I'm going to wait a few weeks before I introduce anything new. I woke up this morning to a cloudy tank after realizing that my snails hadn't eaten the algae tablet that I left them last night. (Gross!) So I did a 10% water change and it seems to be clearing up fast (probably settling to the bottom) and I hope to have that catfish in there soon to take care of everything. Thanks for your suggestion!

jenniwren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom