New To This Order Of Stocking And Build?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Barbs might nip at your Angel. The Angel might munch on the Barbs/Cardinals. The Pictus will outgrow that tank eventually.
Aside from that, the Angel needs to be last.

Squirrel29

Reaction score
Thanks didn't know about the pictus was just throwing out ideas. The barbs and cardinals same thing. Defiantly want the Angel fish, Sterbai and mystery snail.

Just need to figure out 1 or 2 other breeds to put with them. Would like some schooling fish.

Also what would be the first fish to put in?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
personally I think one large school of like 15-20 would be better than 2-3 small schools.
I understand the desire to have lots of different kinds of fish, but one extra large school of one kind of fish will be much more fun to watch than a bunch of small schools. And the fish will appreciate it more too. A school of 6 is really small. Especially when you have a nice sized 46 bow. The number 6 is the minimum that people throw out there for schools. But that doesn't mean that you should do all sorts of schools of 6 just to meet that minimum. Six is the minimum not the maximum. The behavior is so much more fun to watch when the school is more than the bare minimum.

I would do this:
One angelfish
One large school of rummynoses (they look amazing in large schools) OR a large school of cardinals or cherry barbs or harlequin rasboras. The angel shouldn't eat any them if it grows up with them.
I would also up the size of the cory shoal to 8 or so.

So..
1 angelfish
15-20 of ONE schooling fish
8-10 sterbai cories
1 mystery snail.

I would also get a couple nerite snails. They are the best algae eaters and can't produce in freshwater.

When I was new to fish keeping, I wanted lots of different kinds of fish too. But I have learned over the years that larger groups of schooling and shoaling fish are much more rewarding and peaceful to watch rather than the busy-ness of multiple small schools.

Squirrel29

Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
personally I think one large school of like 15-20 would be better than 2-3 small schools.
I understand the desire to have lots of different kinds of fish, but one extra large school of one kind of fish will be much more fun to watch than a bunch of small schools. And the fish will appreciate it more too. A school of 6 is really small. Especially when you have a nice sized 46 bow. The number 6 is the minimum that people throw out there for schools. But that doesn't mean that you should do all sorts of schools of 6 just to meet that minimum. Six is the minimum not the maximum. The behavior is so much more fun to watch when the school is more than the bare minimum.

I would do this:
One angelfish
One large school of rummynoses (they look amazing in large schools) OR a large school of cardinals or cherry barbs or harlequin rasboras. The angel shouldn't eat any them if it grows up with them.
I would also up the size of the cory shoal to 8 or so.

So..
1 angelfish
15-20 of ONE schooling fish
8-10 sterbai cories
1 mystery snail.

I would also get a couple nerite snails. They are the best algae eaters and can't produce in freshwater.

When I was new to fish keeping, I wanted lots of different kinds of fish too. But I have learned over the years that larger groups of schooling and shoaling fish are much more rewarding and peaceful to watch rather than the busy-ness of multiple small schools.

Thanks for the great advice. With this being a new tank and me a newbie. Would it be best to start out with a few sterbai and then gradually increase the bioload over a few months?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Squirrel29 said:
Thanks for the great advice. With this being a new tank and me a newbie. Would it be best to start out with a few sterbai and then gradually increase the bioload over a few months?
Yes. Newbie or not, you will want to add all the fish slowly. :) You don't have to get the entire schools at once.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Squirrel29 said:
Catfish (most species, and only talking about the commercially caught or pool farmed) are pretty delicate. I would start with the Snail(s).
If you can find Corys through a local breeder, I would suggest paying extra for some fish that aren't so poorly treated.

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Puck44 said:
Just curious, do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
Mick Frost said:
Do we really need to bring that up in every thread? The OPs profile says yes.
Agreed. And if you read their first post they started out by saying they're cycling it right now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom