Help New to this - Betta Fighter chasing Honey Gourami....any advice?

krissy86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone!

I'm very new to the whole hobby and have had my tank running for over 3 weeks.

I have a 130L tank and began with 5 neon tetras which all seem perfectly
happy besides 1 that hides ALOT (any known reason for this?...I'm very keen to know why!)

This weekend, my local aquatic store tested the water and various levels. They were happy with the results and therefore I bought a zebra danio, 1 honey gourami and a betta fighter. The guys at the shop appeared to think this would be a good match so off we went and got them settled
The gourami was pretty nervous from the start but now he's kinda bobbing at the top behind the spray bar or he's hiding behind the plants as my betta seems to be chasing him an awful lot.

I've just noticed an article that stated that bettas often confuse gourami's for their own kind....is this true?!

I've asked my bro-in-law (also a freshwater keeper) for some advice but he's said just to see how they get on over the next couple of days as the betta may be stating his position in the tank.

I'm just a little worried that if I leave it another couple of days, the gourami will be mega stressed or worse be injured by the betta. I'd rather keep the gourami as he's a rather peaceful little soul where as the betta tends to chase my neons but doesn't seem to be bothered by the danio?!

Any advice or info would really be great.

Thanks,

Krissy

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
welcome! yeah that's a bad mix you have. betta will prob kill the honey. and he may be nipped by the neons as well. i would either take the betta back, or get him in his own tank. bettas don't do well in community tanks. sorry to say!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome! yeah that's a bad mix you have. betta will prob kill the honey. and he may be nipped by the neons as well. i would either take the betta back, or get him in his own tank. bettas don't do well in community tanks. sorry to say!
+1. Welcome to fishlore.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Agree with what jeri said. Bettas really shoudln't be kept in community tanks and your fish store gave you bad advise! Your zebra danio would also like to be in a school of atleast 5.

krissy86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for that info! That's really sad news and shocking considering they seem to know what they're talking about :-/

Feel a little sad that I may have to let him go!

Any idea why 1 of my neons hides pretty often?! This has happened from day 1 of having them?

krissy86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And I'd also like to ask why so many pet stores and aquatic shops suggest that the male fighters are peaceful community fish as long as not kept with another male fighter. I find statements like this one 'Bettas may be kept in a community tank as long as the water conditions are met' quite common. It's just all very misleading! :-(

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is miss leading but atleast now you have learnt the truth. Most fish stores just want your money.
You should see if there is a swallow aquatics or maidenhead aquatics near you, both of those stores are very good

michael68

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MY betta was a tad bit agressive at first with my two dwarf gouramis,but now after several months they are all thriving.The two gouramis are more aggressive towards each other than with the betta.The betta doesnt bother them at all.Maybe i just got lucky.If you move the betta into its own tank make sure its filtered and heated.Bettas do much better that way.NO FISH BELONG IN A SMALL UNHEATED UNFILTERD CUP!!!!I dont care what the lfs tells you.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MY betta was a tad bit agressive at first with my two dwarf gouramis,but now after several months they are all thriving.The two gouramis are more aggressive towards each other than with the betta.The betta doesnt bother them at all.Maybe i just got lucky.If you move the betta into its own tank make sure its filtered and heated.Bettas do much better that way.NO FISH BELONG IN A SMALL UNHEATED UNFILTERD CUP!!!!I dont care what the lfs tells you.
i'm glad your situation is working for you....however it would be a good idea to maybe have a backup plan for the betta. things can go south very quickly and you might need to get him out. the betta may be fine now, but in a month, or 6 months...a year, he may not be. just saying.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It is miss leading but atleast now you have learnt the truth. Most fish stores just want your money.
You should see if there is a swallow aquatics or maidenhead aquatics near you, both of those stores are very good
We have a maidenhead aquatics where I live and it's the one place I avoid at all costs for several reasons. Way way over priced for example Otto's in maiden head £5 each in a fish shop down the road £1.95, filter at maidenhead £43 and at fish shop down the road £23.95. Also there are also dead fish in tanks. The staff are down right rude and just ignore you most of the time. Also from my experience the couple of fish I bought from there came with ICH and when I tested the water levels they were bad very bad.

Please Please try find a local fish store that do there jobs well. I do suppose one maidenhead aquatics can be soooooooooooo much different to another all depends on there staff and how they do there jobs.

krissy86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
2 DGs in a tank together doesn't work, as you are seeing, michael68.
This also shocks me! The Pets at Home that I first visited advised me not to buy 1 Dwarf Gourami on its own as they're better off in pairs?!

I'm quite keen to get a paradise fish and some dwarf gourami's at some point....good mix or not? I've been told yes that's fine but what's your suggestions?

Thanks for the great info xx

Craig-D

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't be so fast to lable store employees misleading if they recommend bettas in community tanks. I remind you all that this very website's profile on the betta states it's a peaceful community fish when kept with the right tankmates. The wrong tankmates are known to be gouramis or anything with big fins, but others can coexist with them based on my experience. Before his recent passing, my own betta got along without incident for 2 years with platies and cories in my tank. That said, if Krissy was told gouramis and bettas are compatable tankmates, then I agree she was mislead.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah that doesn't make sense that the profile on fl states bettas are peaceful community fish. i'll have to check that out. but i guess the bottom line is, you can take the chance and put a betta with other fish...maybe it'll work, maybe not. or you can not risk it, and give him his own tank.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This also shocks me! The Pets at Home that I first visited advised me not to buy 1 Dwarf Gourami on its own as they're better off in pairs?!

I'm quite keen to get a paradise fish and some dwarf gourami's at some point....good mix or not? I've been told yes that's fine but what's your suggestions?

Thanks for the great info xx
Paradise fish are supposed to be pretty aggressive too. I've never kept them though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom