New to the world of Betta Fish (well, and this forum!)

Ilikepicklechips

Hey everyone! I went a little overboard recently and ended up with 5 male betta fish and 4 females in a 20 gallon sorority tank.

I’m a fish lover and somewhat familiar with fish protocol from having a 55 gallon tank with some fancy goldfish that grew into giants and had babies (without my permission!)

But bettas are different. And I need a lot of advice! So each male betta has his own 5 gallon tank. I got the Fluval mineral rich stratum and they all have a variety if live plants and spider wood/mopani driftwood.

So aside from trying to keep my fish flourishing and happy I’m also trying to keep the plants alive... and...the wood keeps getting fungusy and gross. One even had mold. I’ve boiled them all and now I’m just soaking them. Ideas? I’m so close to getting resin wood.

I’ve got heaters and little sponge bubbler filters for the tanks as well. The female tank seems to be the best but that’s because I have a filter in there. I sort of hate the water current though. Any sorority tank tips on filtration? Or anything?

I installed some hydroponic led lights from Home Depot on a shelf above all of their tanks for them and their plants. Probably need to buy a dimmer now though. I ordered some ph test strips and catapa leaves too (hoping I spelled that right- Indian almond leaves.) This has been quite a project! I think they’re all happy and healthy but the Plakat male I have isn’t eating. I think he’s stressed that I took his moldy drift wood away.

Aside from all of this fun, I actually would really love to breed a male and female at least once. I’ve read up on breeding but I am still vastly under informed (probably.) I don’t even exactly know the body/fin type of all my males and their color patterns.

And I still need to name them all. I’ll make a second post with pictures for name ideas.

Thanks for reading! I’m so excited to dig deeper into this.

Fishymasters

I may not have any advice on the tank but I can say that you should never keep male betta fish together as that would not go well....you could possibly do Females together as they tend to be less aggressive but I still wouldn’t risk it unless it’s a really big tank so they wouldn’t fight over territory IMO. Also make sure to make the tanks spaced apart from each other as the Bettas may fight if they see the other fish you might have already known this but just thought I would share it.

Ilikepicklechips

T
I may not have any advice on the tank but I can say that you should never keep male betta fish together as that would not go well....you could possibly do Females together as they tend to be less aggressive but I still wouldn’t risk it unless it’s a really big tank so they wouldn’t fight over territory IMO. Also make sure to make the tanks spaced apart from each other as the Bettas may fight if they see the other fish you might have already known this but just thought I would share it.
Thank you! I have little cardboard sheets between the tanks so they can’t see each other. I sometimes remove them so they can flare and be macho for a little bit but I put them back in so they don’t get stressed. The females have a 20 gallon tank and they’re doing great

Fishymasters

T

Thank you! I have little cardboard sheets between the tanks so they can’t see each other. I sometimes remove them so they can flare and be macho for a little bit but I put them back in so they don’t get stressed. The females have a 20 gallon tank and they’re doing great
That’s good! Good luck with your Bettas they are very fun fish to have!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Lsurtees
Replies
Views