New to the shrimp world help!

EH81821

So long story short, wife and I were at a garage sale and saw this 5.5 gal with 4 guppy’s. It was still put together and they said if they didn’t go they would just be getting rid as they were moving the next day. So figured I’d save them that fate….

This is where I’m sure a lot will say I messed up and am deserving any problem to come my way. I decided since I was having trouble with my cherry shrimp tank(10g running for 2 months) I’d switch them to the 5.5 gal and plant heavy to give them more places to hide and just feel more comfortable. Now based on how the family was just going to throw away the fish I didn’t really trust not knowing everything they did with the tank. So I cleaned the tank over and over before starting the build. I used UNS Controsoil Black decided to go with Seiryu stone instead of the Malaysian drift wood I originally had as when switching I found 3 dead cherry shrimp in a tiny nook which I figured they got trapped for whatever reason. And wanted to avoid that happening again. I created a cave like structure out of the rocks to give them a little place to hide out of the hard scape. Next I planted with some plants my LFS suggested and some I saw when researching just nano tanks. This consisted of corkscrew Val, Java moss, Monte Carlo, Staurogyne Repens, a mini sword plant forgot exact name(LFS recommond) and hair grass. I also got red root floaters but haven’t added yet. I have them on the windowsill along with a Anubis nana petite. I am using a HOB, Fluval AquaClear 30 Aquarium Power Filter. And a nano fluval plant led light. So that’s the background story…

Here is why I’m writing this..

I Only had the 10G tank that wasn’t cycled yet either so I started this 5.5G with no used media to seed the tank. I was losing shrimp already in the 10G so figured I’d start fresh anyways. So I’ve started this 5.5G with fritz 700 and have now been dosing fritz complete every other day whenever I have ammonia 1ppm or more. Along with 10-20% water changes. Detoxifying with Prime.

Problem 2. Now the plants after being planted now 5 full days are deff dying it seems. The light is on for 9hours a day at 65%. I was told to not fertilizer yet since the tank isn’t cycled. I have seachem flourish so if this is wrong would I kill the shrimp if I choose to start? Also I did use root tabs.

In these past months I have gone from 25 to 9.. what am I doing wrong!!?

Here is the past 5 days water perimeters

30th

6.6ph 0 Amm 0 nitrite
31st

6.6ph 0 Amm 0 nitrite

1st

6.6ph 1Amm 0nitrite

2ND

6ph 2amm 0 nitrite 20% change

3rd

6.6ph 1Amm 0 nitrite 20% change

4th
6.8ph 2amm 0 nitrite 20% change

As far as KH and GH I posted a photo from 8-4 to should you that. Not sure where that is suppose to be and if that’s my problem too..

Let me know if you need more info I think that covers most basics. I read so much stuff online YouTube podcasts and just feel defeated that I haven’t even cycled a tank yet. Thanks if you have actually read this far! I posted some photos of the shrimp tank below of the day I set up and what it’s currently looking like.

Attachments

• D8BE44BF-7F71-469A-B8F1-BB6D40FA7CE4.jpeg
    D8BE44BF-7F71-469A-B8F1-BB6D40FA7CE4.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 928FE003-46F7-45CD-AD14-D9B9320DFEBB.jpeg
    928FE003-46F7-45CD-AD14-D9B9320DFEBB.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 07C7EAF3-E4D7-4F68-9EFC-3E4A0A1D890D.jpeg
    07C7EAF3-E4D7-4F68-9EFC-3E4A0A1D890D.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 7

Flyfisha

You have another post going about this tank . It can become difficult with multiple posts about one tank ?

In the other post I mentioned the nitrogen cycle and your need to fully understand it.

I would like to comment on this line in your post without you feeling like I am picking on you at all?

“ So I cleaned the tank over and over before starting the build”
You had a working tank with guppies and then cleaned it thoroughly . This was a simple but all to common mistake. You will have removed a lot of the good bacteria the tank had by cleaning it all at one time.

No big deal but I point it out so you can learn to clean only some of the tank each week/ fortnight.

I have no experience with Fritz but suggest the recommendation on the label to add it forever over and over again is a marketing ploy ? It may do no harm or it might actually starve the real wild bacteria from establishing in ( ON) the tank.

As far as plants are concerned. Consider them to be like a flower arrangement that you look at for a week and throw away. Work at learning the basics of keeping fish ( shrimp) alive before worrying about learning plants. Suggest cheap floating plants like frogbit to help with toxic water as the cycle ( bacteria) grows.

MacZ

I have no experience with Fritz but suggest the recommendation on the label to add it forever over and over again is a marketing ploy ? It may do no harm or it might actually starve the real wild bacteria from establishing in ( ON) the tank.
It is just marketing. Provided conditions (expecially pH) are right a single dose would suffice to introduce the strains of bacteria in the bottle.

The Problem: The bottled bacteria have an effective pH-range of 7.2 - 7.8. So adding bottled bacteria in a tank with pH in the higher 6 is pretty much useless. Given the usual accuracy of any of the tests we can use in the hobby it doesn't matter much anyways.

The good news: But it's not necessary to do anything about that. The composition of strains and species of microorganisms in the filter media varies with the conditions they find and will establish in a way that is unique to this tank. And this always works without any external additions.

Flyfisha

I strongly believe the Fritz bottled bacteria it’s just a way of harvesting money from people that want to provide the best conditions for their pets but as I have not used the product myself ( and never will) I am not about to write it off as a total waste of money.

There is no doubt a placebo effect from giving people the opportunity to spend time and money on treating their pets as if they have “ needs” so in that respect perhaps it does some good?

MacZ

I strongly believe the Fritz bottled bacteria it’s just a way of harvesting money from people that want to provide the best conditions for their pets but as I have not used the product myself ( and never will) I am not about to write it off as a total waste of money.
I'd say all bacteria products are a waste of money unless you have the perfect conditions for the bacteria. Which in turn often costs more money as people think they have to provide these conditions by buying stuff to change water parameters. The fabled "below pH 7 your cycle will stall"-nonesense, the companies don't even have to tell people anymore themselves, as retailers and other hobbyists are great aggravators for that.

The only thing I will admit is, as DoubleDutch always says: It's patience in a bottle.

Cycling takes some weeks, so with adding that stuff people think they are actively helping, which gives them at least a feeling of not being helpless bystanders. Yes, read that right: Except adding an ammonia source we are bystanders with little to no direct influence during a cycling process. All we can do is monitor until something happens that actually requires us to act. Which is a rare occasion. But people tend to be pro-active.

Cherryshrimp420

Looking at the pic seems like you have soft acidic water with low KH. This is not ideal for cherry shrimp nor guppies unfortunately...

Soft water fish like a lot of Amazonian fish eill do really well though

To get the cycle going you need some bicarbonates (KH) in the water. In natural soft water systems this usually comes from organic matter decaying, plants breathing and a small amount from atmospheric gas exchange. So for your tank a lot of leaf litter will probably speed up the cycle.

EH81821

Looking at the pic seems like you have soft acidic water with low KH. This is not ideal for cherry shrimp nor guppies unfortunately...

Soft water fish like a lot of Amazonian fish eill do really well though

To get the cycle going you need some bicarbonates (KH) in the water. In natural soft water systems this usually comes from organic matter decaying, plants breathing and a small amount from atmospheric gas exchange. So for your tank a lot of lead litter will probably speed up the cycle.
Thanks for the info. I just added 1/4 of a cup of crushed coral to the tank hoping in the next 5 days to have the PH and Kh raise a bit more natural and consistent than using buffers.

Cherryshrimp420

Thanks for the info. I just added 1/4 of a cup of crushed coral to the tank hoping in the next 5 days to have the PH and Kh raise a bit more natural and consistent than using buffers.
Hmm you'll have more results using crushed coral as the substrate rather than just a small cup of it

Either way, you are changing the parameters of your water and this is usually done by experienced fishkeepers. Your plants for example, may not grow as well in hard water. There are hard water plants that will do better

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies
Views
Fishbish24
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views