New to the hobby . Setting up a 40gal

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Jrobeck506, Jul 16, 2015.

1. J

Jrobeck506 New Member Member

I have a 40 gal tank and have cycled it and have a beautiful pair of kribs that are loving their new home. Right now I have a few fake plants and a fake log but I want a better set up and I especially would like some plants and maybe some small schooling fish to add some more activity to the tank. I have no idea how to begin with live tanks. I work EMS so there are times where I'm gone 48 hours straight so I need something that is somewhat low maintenance. If you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks!

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Just get the lights on a timer and feed the fish daily whenever you are home. Water changes just make sure they are within a week of each other and you should be fine.

Most fish aren't too picky and can do a few days without food, even if it isn't the most ideal. I'd just avoid automatic feeders since they are likely to eventually fail and cause your tank to crash due to an ammonia spike from the rotting food.

3. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

Basically do what LiterallyHydro said, put your lights on a timer and have them set to stay on for about 8-10 hours. If you don't want algae in your tank I hear that algae has issues multiply if you put a 2 hour lights off in between the lights on time.

4. OP
    OP
    J

Thank you literally hydro and gecko but I was more wondering what plants I should get. I'm sorry if I didn't state my question correctly. I'm also new to forums haha

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    What is your tank size and what do you plan on stocking in terms of fish?

6. LiterallyHydro

7. Dom90

The reason I asked his stocking plan is because... say he wants to make an African cichlid tank, some plants do horribly in hard, alkaline water.

8. LiterallyHydro

Well, in hard water, anacharis I know is an option, but I don't know of much else. I live in a hard water area and my planted tank does alright.

9. OP
    OP
    J

-Dom , I've got a 40 gallon tank with a pair of kribensis. I want to make them an amazing home . I want a school of small fast maybe silver fish I've got a 60 gal and a 40 gal marine land hob filters I know it's probably too much but I was new and probably went overboard . Anyways I live in kentucky which I would say has some of the hardest water in the world which is why it's great racehorse country .

10. Dom90

Lol ok I see... I have a pair of kribensis also in my 75g, they are indeed very beautiful fish. One of them is in my avatar, the female. Anyway, small fast fish, you're probably looking at some tetras. These fish are full of energy and highly active, swimming all over the place.

11. OP
    OP
    J

Thank you literally hydro. I will do some research on them you've been a lot of help!

12. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks Dom 90

13. K

Kwig Well Known Member Member

I really like the cherry barbs and harlequin rasbora I have with my Kribs. They both have black and red which complement the Kribs well and are very active. The rasbora school tightly and are right in the center, the cherry barbs typically hang out together but also venture off near the bottom and the floating plants looking for food. I also have a school of otocinclus so another lateral black line which looks nice.

14. OP
    OP
    J

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437254841.179460.jpg thank you all so much! The tank is amazing my kribs are loving the plants and the schooling fish make it better... It's still a work in progress (budget is holding me back) but i am very happy with is so far. I wish I could decide on a background....

15. OP
    OP
    J

Also no one has mentioned Java fern which is at every store I've looked at... Is there a reason it's bad?

16. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Why do you think Java ferns are bad? Attach it to some driftwood and it will get huge. Great plants in my opinion.

I like your tank! If you can't decide on a background, solid black always works. You can buy poster board, or something like that. I paint my tanks. But I'm sure there are some easy, affordable, none permanent ways to DIY that someone else could probably help you with.

17. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks bdpup! I just assumed someone would have mentioned it if it was a good plant and that because they hadn't maybe there was a drawback. I personally like it aesthetically.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  18. K

Kwig Well Known Member Member

I love java fern. I've been on the hunt for a really nice one and haven't been too impressed with my local selection yet. But it gets huge, provides good coverage to the fish, and is very low maintenance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice