New to the hobby and I've got some questions and concerns

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by jajabad, Aug 9, 2014.

1. jajabadNew MemberMember

I just got my first glofish(es) about a week ago and I am a bit overwhelmed by everything that I need to know. I was given the fish as a surprise gift so I didn't have the chance to do any research. I've been doing research as I go and stumbled onto this forum and that it'd be helpful to have a place where I could get some tips and advice.

I am currently concerned about my orange fish. He's active on occasion, especially when I feed my fish. However today I noticed something that seemed to be sticking out from his body near his fin and I though "oh there is something wrong with his fin." It looks like it is hanging specifically from his fin and it is brown. It looks longer than when I originally noticed it earlier today. Do fish get constipated? Idk (it occurred to me that may be what is going on here.) He's swimming more today and he appears to be swimming normally. I can't tell if there is any other issues with his fin cause he keeps moving, LOL!

I can't seem to upload a photo, so I hope this description helps.

I have a filter. I need to upgrade my tank but I don't know what size tank is good for glofish. I've read 5 gal is okay (not necessarily recommended, it's okay, then I've heard that 10 gal or 20 gal is good. I know glofish are active swimmers but what is a good size?

I do frequent water changes and had issues with smelly water though I have found the culprit. And now I make sure I use a conditioner when I change out the water every other day or so. I change it out anywhere between 25%-50% as needed.

A couple days ago I found out that I was supposed to cycle my tank. Is it too late to do that? Can I do cycle my tank with my fish in the tank, will they be able to handle it?

I know these are quite a few questions but I hope someone can help, especially with my concerns about my orange glofish. Thank you!

Also does anyone know of a web site that has some in depth information on glofish. I found a specific website about glofish but I felt like the site was geared toward children and wasn't very informative. Thank you for your help. In the meantime I will keep an eye on my orange fish (his name his Charlie) and provide updates on his condition in hopes of getting this mystery solved and so I can help him.

2. slade

sladeValued MemberMember

Minimum 10 gallon, go for a 20 if you can.
    Your tank needs to complete a cycle, so keep up with water changes. With a single fish you won't have much of a problem as long as you do. Even better if you can get some used filter media from someone with a cycled tank.
    You can add a small amount of Epsom salt to prevent constipation.

3. ppate1977

ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

Welcome! You will find many answers just by reading through posts. Good luck!

4. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    There are 3 kinds of Glofish®, tetras, danios & barbs & all need swimming space so imo a 20 gallon is best for them & gives you options depending how many you already have to add other fish.
    As for cycling no it isn't too late, a lot of people here use a product called tetra safe start which you can get from your Lfs, get a bottle the right size for your tank & follow the instructions carefully.
    Until you can get it then I suggest you do daily water changes of at least 25%, you could also do with a liquid water testing kit to monitor your water.
    If you can get a pic of your fish it would help us to tell what if anything is wrong with it

5. MamajinWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

We need a you to be a tiny bit more specific if you can; is it hanging from a fin, or his bum?

Fish can get constipated, it's called Bloat. If you are feeding a good nutritious food like New Life Spectrum and supplementing once a week with frozen brine shrimp (a natural laxative) then bloat should never become an issue. NLS (New Life Spectrum) is expensive up front, but since there's not many fillers you feed less than you normally would, so the product will last a very long time. It's top of the line food and considered in most circles to be the best there is for your fish. Tons of veggies, fruits and other nummies that your fish require for a balanced diet.

I think you need 50 posts to be able to upload a photo, but don't quote me on that. ;)

No one can really answer that until we know what kind of GloFish you have. If you have the Tiger Barb variety then you're looking at minimum a 30 gallon tank.

How big is your current tank?

Prime is one of the best conditioners on the market. You can get it in liquid form or in powder form. I recommend the powder form that you mix with water. It will last you forever. Dosing is easy... 2 drops per gallon regardless of which type you get.

Since your tank is currently not cycled, continue with the water changes. I'm guessing you have more than one fish in a very small tank, so I will suggest either 1 100% water change daily, or two 50% water changes daily. This will prevent toxic water chemistry and also help if there's any illness going on. I follow these very same steps for my small uncycled quarantine tank when I need to take care of sick or new fish.

The best thing you can do for your fish is learn about the Nitrogen Cycle. It will help you become a successful aquarist. There's a video on YouTube about the Nitrogen Cycle by Dr. Tim Hovanec (I can't post the link without the forum software adding the video to this post). I highly recommend watching it because he explains it so well.

You should consider using Tetra Safe Start (created by Dr. Tim), but be aware that the instructions on the bottle do not cover everything you need to know. Peruse here on the forums and you'll find a ton of instruction on how to use it properly. If you like, when you get the TSS create a new thread and we will walk you through the steps and help you get the cycle going.

GloFish are just fish that've had their color changed scientifically. Once you know the species of GloFish you have, you can easily look up their info on   or  .

6. DaniosRockValued MemberMember

Also invest in an API test kit so you can measure your water parameters,; ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Welcome to Fishlore!

7. OP
    OP
    j

jajabadNew MemberMember

Thanks everyone for your help. My orange fish is doing okay now. Shortly after I posted this thread he released the long turd (i guess) from his body, LOL! I guess I was just a paranoid fish parent. I have the tetra safe. And I will be bookmarking and watching the video on cycling a few times just so I can remember them.

When I upgrade my tank to a 20 gal or so how do I transfer my fish safely? Thanks again!

8. AngelZeeValued MemberMember

First you will need a net. There are basically two types of fish nets.

Regular Fish Nets of various sizes and Brine Shrimp Nets which are "softer" and have smaller holes.
    They are meant for Brine Shrimp which are tiny but can be used for fish that are slightly more delicate or if you just want them to be "safer".

Then you will need some sort of container or bucket to transfer them to the other tank.

For non-delicate fish, you can simply net them into a container, float then container (or bag) in the other tank to make sure the temperature gets evened out and then let some tank water in every few minutes (10-15 mins) then net the fish into the tank.

For more delicate fish or fishkeeper that wants to treat their hardy fish with lots of care, you can net them into a bucket. and use the "drip method" in which you use an airline (like the one you use for air pumps and airstones) and siphon water into the bucket slowly with an adjuster (can't remember their actual name :p) and you set it to 1-4 drops a second depending on how delicate the fish is. This is to make the temperature equal as well as the water chemistry. That way the fish slowly gets used to the water of the tank it is about to go into. But for Danios, it isn't very necessary as they can survive uncycled tanks.

Different types of GloFish:

References:
    Brine Shrimp Net:  
    Regular Fish Net:  
    Fish Acclimation Kit:  

I have one of those acclimation kits from the link I provided and it works great, cheap and great way to acclimate delicate fish. But Ive honestly only used it on German Blue Rams which are delicate. GloFish aren't too delicate and don't require this.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  9. AngelZeeValued MemberMember

And your aquarium should be in the process of cycling right now. So just continue doing your research to fully understand the cycle we all speak of :)

Soon you will understand it and everything will be a piece of cake, it may seem confusing at first but it's not once you've learned it.

From my fish keeping, I have never really had a fish constipated before. If anything there is just a string of poop for a while then they release it or it is torn off by another fish lol.

A variety of food helps prevent this, when i first started fishkeeping i had lots of mollies and they pooped alot, like long strings of poop, i now have 4 only and rarely do i see any strings of poop and i feed them Flakes, Pellets, Frozen Brine Shrimp/Bloodworms, and Crisp Flakes all varied throughout the week feeding them one through two times a day.

10. dakotaValued MemberMember

Welcome to the forum. This is the place to ask questions and get the answers.There is so much good information here. Take time to look thru the hole forum. There are many different topics that cover about all the tropical fish knowledge. Have fun Thanks

Clean Water = Happy Healthy Fish

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice