New to the Forum

GarfieldsLibrary

Hello! I'm excited to join and get more into aquariums and keeping fish. I am new to this and have made mistakes and will likely continue if I don't get some guidance, so here I am!
I currently have three tanks (this hobby got out of hand very quickly for me, but in a good way). I have a 40 gallon tank with a snail and 2 goldfish (1 comet that is 6" and a fantail that is about 2") the fantail is currently in a baby basket because the comet was nibbling his fins, I would love to find a way to stop this, but I'm unsure what to do. I would like to get other fish in this tank but I'm learning that goldfish need a ton of space so I'm curious what could live with them peacefully in this much space. I also have two 10 gallon tanks, one of them houses a beta and a few snails, I'm hoping to add some tetras if that is enough space. The other tank I just got and I'm letting it cycle before I consider what to do with it but I'm in love with the idea of mollies, would this be enough space for them? All of the tanks are currently about 72 degrees, is this alright? I'm super excited to learn more and I would love some help!

BigManAquatics

Welcome! I would do warmer for the betta, they prefer it usually around 78-80. 72 is fine for the goldfish though. Probably don't even need a heater for that tank unless your house gets down really cold in winter.

CrackerboxPalace

Welcome to fishlore :)

There are a few things you could add to a goldfish tank. Some people would say you can add certain corydoras that tolerate cold water, like peppered corys. I would figure out a new situation for the comet first, since it will require something like 75+ gallons at full size. At 8 inches+ it could also eat a lot of tankmates you might consider adding.

In the 10 gallon with the betta you could add a school of ember tetras or chilli rasboras. Since you have a betta just be weary of any aggression, and ideally put some live plants in to prevent any mishaps. This tank also needs a heater, 72 degrees is too cold for bettas. They do best at 78-82F.

In the second 10 gallon maybe consider platies, guppies or endlers instead of mollies. There are some smaller molly species that might do ok in a 10 gallon, but you can more comfortably put the smaller livebearers in this size.

richiep

Croeso welcome to fishlore and getting some great advise stright away which is what you're after

GuppyOverlord11

Welcome!

BradleyH2O

Welcome to the forum.

Motherlovebetta

Welcome! I was looking at doing a goldfish tank and everything I read advised to stay away from mixing comets and fancy goldfish. Personally, I would rehome the comet, keep the fancy and get another fancy. You could get a school of White Cloud Mountain minnows with them they have same requirements and should be too fast for the goldfish to catch. I also read you could do like a couple dojo/weather loaches with them. They are all cold water.

I agree with the betta temp comments.

Similar Aquarium Threads

50 Gallon Tank New on the forum
Replies
Views
Charlie’s Dad
Replies
Views
alven
Replies
Views
SallImSayin