New to the forum & overwhelmed!

froggymommy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I don't expect anyone to read this, just kind of posting it as an intro to the forum since it's required. :)

I just got my first tank in October, and stocked it with a betta and african dwarf frog. It's a 5 gallon Biorb Life.

I decided that I wanted a 10g, planted, and get more of a variety. So I got a second tank with all new fish and plants (didn't cycle it, lesson learned!) and it's been going well.

Then, my betta in the other tank fell ill. He got caught between a lava rock and the glass of the biorb, luckily I saw it happen and moved the rock and freed him. But the wound got infected and his health has deteriorated... Currently treating him with aquarium salt and Furan-2 in a quarantine tank.

In his original tank, I added another ADF. So now there are two ADFs in a 5 gallon tank, a sick betta in a 5 gallon quarantine tank, and my 10 gallon community planted tank which is thankfully doing fine.

I am so overwhelmed.

I've been reading about Biorbs and how they're really not the best for *any* kind of living thing, so... I bought a Fluval Spec 5. So now I have that cycling too before I move the frogs over.

It's a mess. Four tanks, a ton of livestock, different care regimens for all of them. YIKES. I cannot wait til the betta recovers and the fluval spec cycles so I can downsize to TWO TANKS.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to the forum. :)

You might be surprised at how many of us will read every word you wrote because we really do care and want to help.

Now that you know about the importance of cycling a tank and have a fully cycled one, with a little bit of pre-planning you should never have to go through the long drawn out cycling process again. Just run extra media in your cycled tank and use that extra seeded media to jump start a new tank. Saves a lot of time and headaches.

So many of us started out just like you did. Most of us learned the hard way but sometimes the hard earned lessons are the best kind. What we learn sticks with us.

So again, Welcome to the forum. If you've got questions I am sure someone here will have answers for you. :)

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not familiar with those tanks, but does the bio-orb have filter media that you could move into the new tank? If yes, you could do that, and then go ahead and move the frogs into it now. There should be a sufficient bacteria colony to take care of their bioload.

And welcome to the forum.

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What tank is your betta in? The fluval spec V would be perfect for them.
Have you added tannins?

Welcome to the fish fam!!

OP
froggymommy

froggymommy

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
Welcome to the forum. :)

You might be surprised at how many of us will read every word you wrote because we really do care and want to help.

Now that you know about the importance of cycling a tank and have a fully cycled one, with a little bit of pre-planning you should never have to go through the long drawn out cycling process again. Just run extra media in your cycled tank and use that extra seeded media to jump start a new tank. Saves a lot of time and headaches.

So many of us started out just like you did. Most of us learned the hard way but sometimes the hard earned lessons are the best kind. What we learn sticks with us.

So again, Welcome to the forum. If you've got questions I am sure someone here will have answers for you. :)
Aww, it's nice to see how active this forum is! Thank you. :)

JettsPapa said:
I'm not familiar with those tanks, but does the bio-orb have filter media that you could move into the new tank? If yes, you could do that, and then go ahead and move the frogs into it now. There should be a sufficient bacteria colony to take care of their bioload.

And welcome to the forum.
It does have filter media! A sponge and under gravel ceramic rocks, I'll have to dig those up. Should I place these in the new tank substrate, or inside the built-in filter box?

I also squeezed out the filter sponge from it inside the water, since I saw it on youtube, but it kind of just made the whole tank dirty?

Addictedtobettas said:
What tank is your betta in? The fluval spec V would be perfect for them.
Have you added tannins?

Welcome to the fish fam!!
The betta is in a 5 gallon quarantine tank. No substrate, a heater, and a few silk plants to hide in.

Not yet-- I do have some peat that I am soaking for a few days before adding it, and I also ordered some almond leaves online since I can't find any in stores nearby.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!
froggymommy said:
I also squeezed out the filter sponge from it inside the water, since I saw it on youtube, but it kind of just made the whole tank dirty?
I rinse mine is the sink. People say to rinse it in tank water but I don't see the point.

And yes, I read every work you typed.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
When it comes time to clean your sponge you shouldn't do it in the tank. You do it in some of the water you have pulled from the tank during a water change. Lots of folks don't make this clear when telling someone to clean it in some tank water.

Amazoniantanklvr said:
Welcome to fishlore!

I rinse mine is the sink. People say to rinse it in tank water but I don't see the point.

And yes, I read every work you typed.
The point is to prevent killing off bacteria. I do agree well established media may not be harmed by cleaning in tap water but I don't think it is a good thing to do to media in a newly cycled tank. As always, just my humble opinion.

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Might try Rooibos tea. I prefer it to almond leaves, though I use those too, and I can pick it up at the grocery store. :)

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes put the ceramic ring in the filter if you have room. And the sponge.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattgirl said:
The point is to prevent killing off bacteria. I do agree well established media may not be harmed by cleaning in tap water but I don't think it is a good thing to do to media in a newly cycled tank. As always, just my humble opinion.
True. However rinsing media in tap any any different than rinsing it in tank water. I got the impression that that the tank had been cycled for awhile.

froggymommy how long has the tank been cycled?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!! As your learning we love to help!!. For the betta qt tank it would be good to add a filter of sorts. Otherwise daily water changes of about 50%. Do you have a test kit?
For the move just add all your substrate to the new tank. You can leave the ceramics in the substrate or add it to a filter. Let the new tank run for a day than add filter. Leave an air stone running in old tank. Give new tank an hour with old filter and than move the frogs over. All should be good but test daily to be sure.
Next the new five is full to overstocked. So testing and water changes will be needed to keep all healthy in there.

As to the tap water. In a well established filter that is using sponges and a lava rock or ceramic media rinsing the sponges in tap water will be fine. But the other media I would rinse in water change water. For a new tank or a small tank (20 and below)I would rinse in water change water.

Algonquin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just a tip - when you are cleaning out your media/sponges in the old tank water, pour it all onto your houseplants/garden. They love all those nutrients! :)

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Algonquin said:
Just a tip - when you are cleaning out your media/sponges in the old tank water, pour it all onto your houseplants/garden. They love all those nutrients! :)
Except if you have salt in the tank... I may or may not have killed or severely injured a large gardenia with a bucket of salt water. :(

aoiumi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good luck with your tanks! Rooibos tea, (not from the same plant as black or green tea) is full of tannins and is a good source for the tank.

We're a pretty active bunch here - there's always something to see!

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

This thread proves my point, lol. Ask 5 people, get 5 different answers :). The debate over rinsing your media in old tank water or under the tap may never be resolved :eek:.

aoiumi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mongo75 said:
Welcome to the forum!

This thread proves my point, lol. Ask 5 people, get 5 different answers :). The debate over rinsing your media in old tank water or under the tap may never be resolved :eek:.
I go with tap, because I have chlorine-free well water, but it really seems to have a million answers.

Sputnik

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
:) Welcome! We all learn some lessons the hard way- hopefully sharing experiences in this forum will help you to avoid those mistakes! I totally understand about the bio-orb.
I remember my first tank- a hipster, super cool rimless 5 gallon tall cube- absolutely useless- hard to clean, hard to do health observations, with little floorspace for swimming! Now I have bigger, less cool, totally un-hipster rectangular tanks with plenty of floorspace that are (almost) a joy to clean, and better for my fish and inverts. Live and learn!

OP
froggymommy

froggymommy

Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:
froggymommy how long has the tank been cycled?
I'd only had the tank cycling for 2 days, but I put the old filter media into the new filter, used all the same decor (didn't rinse, oops. Missed that!), and am using Stability. It said that fish can be added at any time as long as you keep adding the Stability every day for 7 days.

so... I just added my frogs yesterday!

86 ssinit said:
Welcome to fishlore!! As your learning we love to help!!. For the betta qt tank it would be good to add a filter of sorts. Otherwise daily water changes of about 50%. Do you have a test kit?
I do have a test kit, yes! But I've been reading that a filter would affect the Furan-2.

But... bad news about the betta. He got worse overnight. His 3 main symptoms that I've been monitoring are: tattered/crumpled fins, red wound on his side, and bump on his head.

The bump used to be noticeable until I added Furan-2 and then it completely went down. Suddenly this morning though it's HUGE and the wound on his side is fading?
Fins look the same.
Thinking about starting parasite meds since those can also cause tumors?

It's so sad watching him be so sick. He looks miserable. When I feed him, he tries to eat but misses every try... so I have no idea how much he's actually eating.

Sputnik said:
:) Welcome! We all learn some lessons the hard way- hopefully sharing experiences in this forum will help you to avoid those mistakes! I totally understand about the bio-orb.
I remember my first tank- a hipster, super cool rimless 5 gallon tall cube- absolutely useless- hard to clean, hard to do health observations, with little floorspace for swimming! Now I have bigger, less cool, totally un-hipster rectangular tanks with plenty of floorspace that are (almost) a joy to clean, and better for my fish and inverts. Live and learn!
Hilarious. The opening to clean is a fist-sized hole. Squeezing that minI siphon in there... ridiculous. I'm also happy with my new long open tanks. :)

New Threads