New to the forum and Getting back into the hobby

redheaded628

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have had smaller tanks before but haven't had any for awhile. I currently have a 30 gallon set up with sand and a couple plastic/silk plants. I currently have 3 mollies, 5 ghost shrimp, and a pleco (I think it said bristle nose but the tag at the store said he would only get about 5 inches). I also just added a piece of driftwood because the pH was a little high to me. I've also wanted to try live plants (I've never had any before) and recently got octopus grass/plant (not 100% on the name and the store said it would be okay in sand). I also got the stuff to put in to feed it. I'm wanting to eventually replace all the fake plants with real. I'm planning on adding a couple more mollies and maybe some cory catfish. Any advice on plants or fish to add? Also anybody have experience with adding a betta to this mix of fish? Thanks and looking forward to learning some new stuff!

Talisaint

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I can't answer all of your questions, but some relatively easy plants would be Anubias, Java Moss, Water wisteria, frogbit (floating).

I don't take care of fish like those, but I know for sure having a betta fish with very bright and colorful fish is taboo. Some people are able to keep betta fish with platies and mollies, but they are generally very dull or dark. If you want a lovely and colorful pack of mollies, you won't be able to have a betta fish.

redheaded628

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I currently have a yellow, yellow and black spotted, and a white one. So they're pretty bright. I ended up with two males and a female so Ill probly have to get more females (maybe one of each in some other colors) so they don't pester her took much.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Rather than get more female mollies, I would rehome or return the one female you have and get another male instead. If you get females, you will be overrun, overstocked, and overwhelmed with fry (they won't eat all the fry, so you'll have lots).

I wouldn't add a betta to the mix. They either stress out the other fish or are stressed themselves.

What about this?

3x Male mollies
1x BN pleco
10x Panda cories (or 8x of one of the larger species)
8x Harlequin rasbora
8x Cherry barbs

For plants, what kind of lighting do you have?

Check this out:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/resources/how-to-set-up-a-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.24/

redheaded628

Valued Member
Reaction score
I currently just have the light that came with the hood but I am planning on getting the plant bulb. I've never had the rasboras or barbs before so I'll have to check those out. I've thought that you could put the mollies with gouramis but I've seen a couple of people on here say not to. Any experience with those?

After looking at some of the plants, with the floating ones, do you have trouble getting light through to the lower plants or feeding the fish. I would assume as long as you kept it back it would solve both of those problems. Is there a ratio of open to covered surface I should try to follow?

Last edited by a moderator:

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I currently just have the light that came with the hood but I am planning on getting the plant bulb. I've never had the rasboras or barbs before so I'll have to check those out. I've thought that you could put the mollies with gouramis but I've seen a couple of people on here say not to. Any experience with those?
Mollies and most gouramis are fine together in a large enough tank. What kind of gourami were you thinking of?

Bettas are not good community fish, so I would not add one to your setup.

After looking at some of the plants, with the floating ones, do you have trouble getting light through to the lower plants or feeding the fish. I would assume as long as you kept it back it would solve both of those problems. Is there a ratio of open to covered surface I should try to follow?
I don't have trouble feeding the fish, but I have had issues with floating plants blocking out the light. There's no set ratio, but yes, regular trimming and pruning will keep the plants from blocking out too much light.

redheaded628

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've always liked the dwarf powder blues but I like really any with good color or variation. I also have a 50 gallon that someone gave me I will eventually be setting up. I've always had quiet community fish but I was thinking about maybe getting into something new with that one. I would still like to be able to do a couple different kinds of fish though. I'm not adventurous enough for saltwater yet though.

ninjapuff

Valued Member
Reaction score
I kept one male Molly with an older betta and they got along fine, he was also gold and black. I think it really depends on your betta though.

redheaded628

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking I'm going to go with a gourami in this one I was thinking about adding them to my big tank but I nixed that to add another angelfish. I was also thinking the colored led lights in this one would look neat on a powder blue. My luck I would pick a betta that would harass everything else.

redheaded628

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I got some juhli corys the other day. They only had 5 so I got all of them. The two smaller ones look like the ones you see when you Google them with the horizontal line and everything. The three bigger ones look like these. Are these still the same kind or something different? They all school together and the lfs said they were all the same just different markings.

Last edited by a moderator:

redheaded628

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks! They are schooling and hanging out together so I guess I'll see how it goes. Even my bn pleco will hang out with them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom