Question new to the fish world =D

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey im new to the tropical fish world and i have a couple questions. i have a 33 gal tank and i would like some opinions on what are great combinations of fish i should have in the tank.

thanks!!

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello and welcome to Fishlore!
I'm sure there are plenty of options, but it's really helpful to have at least one species of fish you are interested in and build from there. Here is a link to our fish profiles. https://www.fishlore.com/freshwaterfish.htm It's not all inclusive, but it's a good start. Read through the different profiles and see what catches your eye. It's also smart to go to your local fish stores and see what they have available. Don't buy anything, just write down names of fish that interest you and then we can help you decide based on which are compatible with your tank size and with each other. Whatever you choose, make sure to cycle your tank first so that your water will be safe for your fish and I highly recommend quarantining any fish, including the first set so that no one gets anyone else sick and none bring illnesses such as ICH into your main tank. Enjoy the site!

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well i looked at some fish i really like the angels,convicts,tetras and guppys
i want to have a nice community tank would some of these fish get along?

Chris123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Angels Tetras and guppys would do fine but just watch out for angel eating tetras and fin nipping from the tetras.

or you could do a pair of Convicts instead

Chris

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As mentioned, the angel, tetra, guppy combo would work. Convicts arenotcommunity fish and should be kept with other new world cichlids of similar size and temerment. For your size tank a pair of cons would be about it. For a community I would do a school of either cardinal tetras or harlequin rasboras, one angel as the centerpiece and some corys for the bottom. You could probably also do a few guppies. Just remember that live bearers like guppies live to breed. An all male tank prevents breeding but can lead to aggression amongst the guppies. With mixed sexes it is recommended to have at least two females for every one male however with a mixed sex tank you will end up with fry. Possibly lots and lots of fry so make sure you have a plan for them. With all females you may avoid breeding however it's not uncommon to buy females already pregnant. Females can also store sperm for long periods of time so even if they're not pregnant in the beginning you could still wind up with fry down the road so be prepared for that as well. Also keep in mind that angels get quite tall and need pretty tall tanks so depending on the height of your tank a gourami might make a better centerpiece fish or some peaceful dwarf cichlids like rams or apistos.

Last edited:

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you! this has helped a lot ive looked at the fish and if i get blue or a pearl gourami how many of guppies or tetras, aspistos and corys should i get? i dont want to over crowd my tank. thanks again for all the help!

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom