New to the betta game, jumping into breeding soon!

1. Betta305 Initiate Member

Hello to the inhabitants of the fishlore.com betta forums! Well, I've always had unusual hobbies, ranging from the cultivation of psilocybin mushrooms to, now, keeping fish. Betta splendens in particular. This started when my gf asked for a fish, so I went to the nearest pet store and bought a female betta and a small unfiltered unheated tank. Fast forward 2 weeks and I have a cycled 10 gal with divider a pair of fish from AquaBid.com and a 2.5 gal 5-way betta tank (filtered and heated). A 20 gal long sitting unprepared with a heater, sponge filter, and air pump. Let's see some pics!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Nice job! Not bad for two weeks work ;) be careful though, this can lead to a serious case of multiple tank syndrome... You look like you're well on the way!

Beautiful bettas by the way, I love the grump face!x

3. Betta305 Initiate Member

The females name is Opal. The male is still unnamed as of yet. He is a super delta. Looks like a red based fish with aqua iridescence. The female was advertised as a sibling of his. When I get into something I like to do it right. This means hours upon hours of research and no expense spared. I realize my fish are Imperfect. The colors are uneven especially on the male. Form is off and his fins are all ruffled. I feel I got them for a bargain and they are beautiful. Sufficient enough for a trial run in breeding. The expensive perfect pairs will come in due time. Right now I'm conditioning them in the planted 10 gal. The temp is set at 80 degrees. They are getting 3 meals a day, Hikari gold pellets in the morning and evening, and frozen blood worms in the afternoon. The male is happily blowing bubble nest all day that I have to scoop out every other day cuz it gets so big. The female darts from side to side all day. I'm excited to be part of this community and will continue to post as this come along!

4. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

you know what a trick if you have 2 imperfect bettas is? if fish A has to long of fins and fish B has to short or just right you may get some good fry from a mix of genetics. just be careful breeding is the easy part raising fry is the hard part. my fry from my first batch eliminated almost all of them selves in the first week. i had 2 that grew to 4 months than died of a tank out break. now its been about 4 months and i have 50 successful fry being raised to adulthood.

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I love the name Opal, very pretty and she does look like an opal, it suits her!

Your fish are perfect. They may not win serious Betta competitions but their colouring is beautiful, their fins look great, they have lovely grumpy faces (the reason I love Bettas!!) and they look extremely happy in their new home. They are seriously cute!

I found researching really encouraged me with the fish. It made it even more impossible for me not to spoil them rotten! Yours sound just as spoilt.

Do keep us updated, it sounds very exciting :)

6. Betta305 Initiate Member

hollie1505 thanks! MTS is in full effect already lol
    lollipopkiller I'm hoping for some smoothing out in the fry. Don't get me wrong, I already love my fish, they are my first loves :p I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I've read about plenty of failures and they seem inevitable. But I will do my best. I have many questions. Food for fry and what not. I was gonna make separate threads but maybe u can help me. What do u feed your fry? Where do u get the cultures? I was looking at vinegar eels on eBay. Then bbs. What do u think?

7. Tonia Well Known Member Member

Hello Betta305 and Welcome to Fishlore!!!!!

This is a terrific place to share the fish you love, new tank ideas, what works and what doesn't. There are a ton of betta lovers, myself included here and you will find that everyone has different likes, dislikes and experiences. Best of luck with your breeding plans and with the Multiple tank syndrome that you have already started to experience!!

8. Betta305 Initiate Member

Thanks again hollie! I do love this pair and will continue to love and care for them for the years they will spend with me.
    And thank you shayla! Your posts here on the forums have already given me ideas and lots of insight into the world of betta fish. I can only hope to contribute to this community as you have.

9. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

i got microsworms from ericv on here i also boil an egg and disolve it and put a few drops of it in for the first 3 days but only 3 days cuz it goes bad fast and ypu dont feed them the first 5-6 days