New To The Aquarium World

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by 10gallonAquariumGal, Jul 16, 2019.

1. 10gallonAquariumGal

10gallonAquariumGalNew MemberMember

Hi everyone! So glad to be here. I would say I'm new to the aquarium world. I have owned a single 10 gallon aquarium in the past with two goldfish and I have also done the dreaded tiny Betta tank. I didn't know about the improtance of the nitrogen cycle and how terrible those "Betta tanks" are for Bettas. I currently have a cycled 10 gallon community tank with a beautiful blue and white marble (I think) Betta, neons, a mystery snail, an ADF, and a few large ghost shrimp. I have two more 10 gallon tanks near the end of their cycles that are currently fishless. I'm looking into doing a planted tank, or two, of water table plants but I'm still a little intimidated. Anyway, I'm super excited to be here with newbies like me and with long time fish experts. I can't wait to learn more and create/maintain beautiful fish tanks in the future.

2. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Welcome! Also, make sure those ghost shrimp are not Whisker Shrimp. Look forward to seeing the future tanks!

3. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Welcome. Pics are always encouraged :)

4. OP
    OP
    10gallonAquariumGal

Why is the difference and why would whisker shrimp be a bad thing? So far the Betta and ADF have had zero interest in them. I have read in some cases Bettas and shrimp don't get along but we haven't had any issues even when the shrimp invade his most precious possession (his floating log) haha.

5. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Whisker shrimp get larger and very aggressive. Sometimes eat smaller fish and are not afraid to do that.

6. OP
    OP
    10gallonAquariumGal

Oh ok that's good to know. I will look up pictures of the differences between ghost shrimp and whisker shrimp. These guys were in a tank with smaller "ghost shrimp" and were sold to me as "ghost shrimp" I just told the lady that I wanted the biggest ones she could catch hoping it would make them less of a food option for the tank mates. Thanks for the tip!

7. OP
    OP
    10gallonAquariumGal

Attached Files:

8. OP
    OP
    10gallonAquariumGal

I should also add it is filtered and has a heater of course :) can't have cold fish. :)

9. johnbirg

johnbirgValued MemberMember

Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay.

10. Benfreshwater

BenfreshwaterValued MemberMember

Welcome to the world of Fishlore