New to Tetras. Eating habits? Question

1. Antoniothe3rd Initiate Member

Hello. I recently picked up a small school of 5 neons from LFS. I did a bit of research before, but really I have no experience with tetras or schooling fish of any kind (except a community tank when I was 5, but my parents took care of those so it doesn't count, lol). Pretty much all of my aquarium experience so far has been with Bettas and the occasional larger solitary fish. I plan to put them in a 10 gallon planted tank with a male betta and a snail, however at this point their still in quarantine. I bought them because my prior research on other websites and forums all stated that they were very hardy and made great Betta tank mates that thrived in similar water parameters. It wasn't until after the fact that I discovered all the posts warning that they are very delicate and finicky fish with a high mortality. Oops! But there's no going back now.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Anyway the question is about feeding. All the information online says that they eat "any tropical fish flakes" and the person at the pet store told me they'll eat "whatever you want to give them" (yeah such refined expert advice. lol). So I took the safe route and bought a small jar of the standard tetramin plus flakes, since I figured thay wouldn't go for the Betta pellets I already had. The problem is they don't seem to be eating it. The flakes get ignored and scooped away with the water changes. They DO however voraciously swarm the sinking algea waffers I drop in for the snail that is also in quarantine, but only after completely ignoring the floating flakes. Is this a sign of something? Maybe stress from recently moving, or fear of going to the surface in a new environment? Or did I just buy the completely wrong food and have to go back to get some type of sinking pellet? I would really appreciate any advice from people with more experience with tetras, since really I have no idea what to look for as far as healthy or unhealthy behavior.

2. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Well if you just recently got them they might just be stressed. Give them a little time and they should start eating. I have tetras also and when I first got them, they didn't eat when I fed them until like the 2nd or 3rd day. From my experience neon tetras eat just about anything. But yeah neon tetras are somewhat delicate but not really hardy. I think that you're fish are just a little stressed out from the move.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Antoniothe3rd Initiate Member

Thank you. I'm thinking they are just stressed or being timid. It's been about 4 or five days now. I'll probably keep them in quarantine another week just to be sure. They tend to hide during the day in the plants but after dark I can see their silhouettes darting around in the dim light being...playful? I think. Obviously their habits are very different form Bettas so I'm still not sure what is good and what is bad xD But I assume it's playfulness. At the very least I know I have SOMETHING they eat and if I need to I can just stop the flakes and throw algae in more often.

4. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yeah they eat about anything. But good luck with your fish

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

I have read they tend to eat anything but might I suggest hikiari micro pellets. I have them for my cardinals (I know a little bigger) but they should be fine for neons if not just crush them a lol.

Also my cardinals took 7-8 days to take their first meal in my tank. I tried a few different foods even tried blood worms and they wouldn't eat that first week

6. kittykat0725 Member Member

I feed mine Micro Pelets for Tetras and Barbs, with a mix of Tetra Tropical Flakes that I crumble, twice a day. I had problems with feeding too in the beginning, Tetras are most active in the morning and nearly afternoon, I tried feeding mine at night and they wouldn't eat, so feed them basically after sunrise and before dusk or sunset. Also if you are worried that some of them are scared of the others and won't go to the top, then get a plant that the can take nibbles from, two of mine just eat the plants and stuff on the bottom. The plants the eat that grow fast so it won't hurt is called Anacharis it is pretty common, but they might not sell it. Sorry for the long reply, hope it helped!
    By the way: Never listen to anything pet store employee say, they just want you to buy more stuff and make your fish die faster, so you come back sooner for more.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app